Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw Ghost Tuesday Night

Saw Ghost Tuesday Night

I saw Ghost with opening act Carpenter Brut for the first time Tuesday night at the State Theater in Kalamazoo MI. I first started hearing about Ghost through Classic Rock Magazine a few years ago. I just figured they were another band with a gimmick, but when I saw their album “Meloria” popping up on several best album of the year polls last year I thought I would take a chance on them. I found that I really dug the album. When asked to describe the music of Ghost, I find it rather difficult. They are metal, but not really all that heavy. They are progressive, but not in a Dream Theater kind of way. They are classic hard rock, but not really in the same sense as other band of that ilk. The vocals are different from what one would expect being very melodic. In the end I can’t really think of anyone who sounds quite like these guys. I had friends who had seen them before and talked me into checking it out and I am very glad I did, as I pretty much loved every minute of it. If you are not familiar with them the band is led by “Papa Emeritus” with the band consisting of “nameless ghouls” who all wear masks / costumes. It is all very theatrical and somewhat irreverent, although everything is done rather tongue in cheek. Some of “Papa’s” in between song banter was hilarious and the guy was a fantastic front man with a great voice. The band consisted of two guitars, bass, drums and keys all of them very good instrumentalists. They had a very cool stage production for the size venue with great use of lighting and effects. I was kind of expecting to be the old man at the show, but the crowd was all over the place with ages ranging from little kids to senior citizens and everything in between. I actually don’t think some of it was really appropriate for little kids, but there were several of them there.

I also enjoyed the opening act Carpenter Brut. I don’t know much about them, but they were an instrumental trio of keys, drums, and guitar with occasional recorded vocals. The music was kind of mix of old new wave, modern electronic, and a little prog. The band played videos from old 70’s slasher films in the background through much of it. In some respects they reminded me a bit of Goblin.

All in all it was a great night of theatrical rock n roll and I would definitely go see Ghost again. Here is the set list:

SQUARE HAMMER
    FROM THE PINNACLE TO THE PIT
    SECULAR HAZE
    STAND BY HIM
    CON CLAVI CON DIO
    PER ASPERA AD INFERI
    BODY AND BLOOD
    DEVIL CHURCH
    CIRICE
    YEAR ZERO
    SPOKSONAT
    HE IS
    ABSOLUTION
    MUMMY DUST
    GHULEH / ZOMBIE QUEEN
    RITUAL

ENCORE:

MONSTRANCE CLOCK

Here are a few videos I found on youtube from the show to give you a taste:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I thought they were a Japanese noise band?

But are Ghost...Prog?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They are from Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    But are Ghost...Prog?
    In my opinion some of what they do is prog which is why I put it on the main board.......of course opinions will vary.

I love this band. People get on 'em because of the satanic gimmick, but I find it a lot of fun. Great melodic hard rock with killer riffs. 'Meloria' is an f'in awesome album for my ears.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I love this band. People get on 'em because of the satanic gimmick, but I find it a lot of fun. Great melodic hard rock with killer riffs. 'Meloria' is an f'in awesome album for my ears.
    It is basically the same gimmick that Black Sabbath, Merciful Fate, Dio, Blue Oyster Cult, and countless others have done over the years, but it is all with a wink and a nod. I agree “Meloria” is a great disc.

Close. There was a fine Japanese psych band by that name from the late 90s on. They put out several albums but the last one came out seven or eight years ago at this point. Highly recommended if you're into that sort of thing.

As for this Ghost, the little bits here and there I've heard remind me of Blue Oyster Cult more than anyone. I love BOC, but Ghost don't do a whole lot for me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frippster View Post
    Close. There was a fine Japanese psych band by that name from the late 90s on. They put out several albums but the last one came out seven or eight years ago at this point.
    Yeah, that must be the one I was thinking of - I think I've seen references to this newer band and thought it was the same band. The perils of having the same band as past bands.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Satanic Swedish prog metal with lush vocals. Who knew.

Digging Meloria big-time.

Close. There was a fine Japanese psych band by that name from the late 90s on. They put out several albums but the last one came out seven or eight years ago at this point. Highly recommended if you're into that sort of thing.

As for this Ghost, the little bits here and there I've heard remind me of Blue Oyster Cult more than anyone. I love BOC, but Ghost don't do a whole lot for me.
    I would agree that there is a definite B.O.C. vibe to a lot of their stuff.

Banned
    Ghost is a great and fascinating Japanese psychedelic/avant band, not noise. They've done a lot of events in different settings sometimes in darkness and most of their music is improvised, spacey and meditative/minimalist. The antithesis of the "theatrical" band above. I'll take the Japanese ghost hands down, but I'd rather visit Neuschwanstein Castle than Disneyland - in fact you'd have to pay me big $ to go there - people think I'm crazy or twisted for hating Disneyland but there you go ymmv. Anyway, their chronicles DVD captures what they do quite nicely.

Great disc with the added benefit of humor. Mummy Dust effing RAWKS.

The perfect Halloween band.

Oh this is the metal band with prog/symphonic elements? I first heard about them through the Rush fan website where people have been raving about them for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Ghost is a great and fascinating Japanese psychedelic/avant band, not noise. They've done a lot of events in different settings sometimes in darkness and most of their music is improvised, spacey and meditative/minimalist. The antithesis of the "theatrical" band above. I'll take the Japanese ghost hands down, but I'd rather visit Neuschwanstein Castle than Disneyland - in fact you'd have to pay me big $ to go there - people think I'm crazy or twisted for hating Disneyland but there you go ymmv. Anyway, their chronicles DVD captures what they do quite nicely.
    Different ghost. I remember that band too but haven't heard much about them in a while. There was also at least one psychedelic band from back in the sixties or so with that name too.

Actually…….apparently the Swedish Ghost is now officially called Ghost B.C. due to the other band owning the name. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Great disc with the added benefit of humor. Mummy Dust effing RAWKS.

The perfect Halloween band.
    Yup, perfect venue for it too. The State is a very cool old 1920’s vaudeville theater.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Actually…….apparently the Swedish Ghost is now officially called Ghost B.C. due to the other band owning the name. Sorry for the confusion.
    Wow, that kind of reminds me of how bands like the Mission and Charlatans had to add the UK to the end of their names to avoid confusion with other bands(mainly in the US though).

Japan's Ghost are and have always been lead by Masaki Batoh, an ordained Tao priest turned freak who formed the band in the second half of the 80s and truly took the purported timelessness of "hippy" to heart. They became the ultimate Nippon neo-psych venture and are considered legends not only in Japan but in significant niche circuits all over the globe.

Unlike the Swedish Ghost, which consists of folks grown up on OKEJ Magazine and the virtues of 70s and 80s hard rock antics and gimmicks. There's apparently some kind of relation to another Swedish retro-gimmick act, Goat (whom I far prefer), whose members are also anonymous and wear facepaint, dress and masks but dwell into waters dangerously Close to what the Jap Ghost have been doing for some 30 years now. Go figure.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yep BOC definitely comes to mind. Saw them a couple of years ago, they were ok. Gimmick is fun to an extent.

I don't see the appeal with the prog crowd...

I gave them a few spins and always came away lacking the urge to listen to them again...

Enjoy them to those who do...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

I haven't quite clicked with Ghost, but good god DAMN do I love me some Carpenter Brut. Had no idea they were also a live act, so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for their next trip 'through the area
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Old man of prog
    I personally love them. To me they're BLUE OYSTER CULT redux.

There are two Japanese bands called Ghost, the other one is gothic hard rock.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I haven't quite clicked with Ghost, but good god DAMN do I love me some Carpenter Brut. Had no idea they were also a live act, so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for their next trip 'through the area
    Really enjoyed them as well. Another band hard to describe.