Thread: Rökstenen: A Tribute to Swedish Progressive Rock of the 70's (2009)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Rökstenen: A Tribute to Swedish Progressive Rock of the 70's (2009)

Anyone familiar with this 2009 Musea tribute album? Opinions?

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=32202

CD 1:
    1. The Samurai of Prog: Drottningholmsmusiken, Sats 1 (Blaakulla) (2:20)
    2. Jinetes Negros: Mars (Blaakulla) (6:18)
    3. Contrarian: Sirenernas Saang (Blaakulla) (6:11)
    4. Simon Says: Tajgan (Kaipa) (7:02)
    5. KBridge: Den Skrattande Grevinnan (Kaipa) (5:35)
    6. Progchard: Fraan det Ena Till det Andra (Kaipa) (3:57)
    7. Willowglass: Oceaner Foder Liv (Kaipa) (10:06)
    8. E.D.O.: Paa Gata (Atlas) (8:09)
    9. Revelation: Bjornstorp (Atlas) (6:04)
    10. Beardfish: Pop Poem (Made in Sweden) (4:09)
    11. Bootcut: Gaanglaat Fraan Ovanaaker (Merit Hemmingson) (2:45)
    12. Anima Morte: Den Gamla Skogen (Bo Hansson) (3:10)
    13. The Grand Trick: The Black Riders (Bo Hansson) (5:00)
    14. Echoes: Andra Sidan (Trettioaariga Kriget) (5:47)

Time 76:33

CD 2:
    1. Primo Intermezzo (2:41)
    2. La Bocca della Verita: War (Dice) (11:39)
    3. Kate: Disease (Dice) (8:20)
    4. Karmic Jaggernaut: Greed (Dice) (7:51)
    5. Blank Manuskript: Death (Dice) (11:05)
    6. JetSet: Into the Mist (JetSet) (2:45)
    7. TkingDkeys: Ingenting (Samla Mammas Manna) (2:40)
    8. Villebraad: Rockgift (Trettioaariga Kriget) (2:59)
    9. Soniq Circus: Stockholm (Pugh Rogefeldt) (4:45)
    10. Magnolia: Ganska Laangt Fraan Sergel (November) (4:19)
    11. Wasa Express: Apkalops (Egba) (6:23)
    12. Mist Season: Promenader (Ragnarok) (7:02)
    13. Vanilla Project: Gaanglaat (Atlas) (4:48)

Time: 77:17

CD 3:
    1. Secondo Intermezzo (2:46)
    2. Daal: Var Glad Var Dag (Ragnarok) (5:31)
    3. Pseudo Sun: En av Oss (Life) (7:00)
    4. Anja: Mount Everest (November) (4:55)
    5. The Moor: Gravmaskinen (Pugh Rogenfeldt) (7:00)
    6. The Divine Baze Orchestra: Har Kommer Natten (Pugh Rogenfeldt) (5:10)
    7. Matthijs Herder: Two Hours Over Two Blue Mountains... (Algarnas Tradgaard) (10:15)
    8. Moosequartet: Vi Valde Inte Vaaldet (Fickteatern) (5:56)
    9. Darxtar: Cosmic Love (Ralph Lundsten) (7:08)
    10. Pensiero Nomade: Jatten Feeling (Flasket Brinner) (6:10)
    11. In the Labyrinth: Worlds on Fire (Handgjort) (5:52)
    12. Orient Squeezers: Odet (Zamla Mammaz Manna) (4:43)
    13. Jerry Johansson and Dan Froberg: Kontinuerlig Drift (6:59)

Time: 79:25

Total time 233:15

Big fan of the Musea collections in general, but this is particular is interesting to me for the "unknown" quantity. Both the original bands and the bands covering them are unknown to ME by and large. That makes it sound like all cool new stuff since I have nothing to compare to. If nothing else it's a great history less, and gives you a strong idea about how/where the music coming out of Sweden today came about. A fun listen for sure.

As someone who has collected the entire Musea/Colossus Project series (with one exception: the Flower Kings tribute album), I can say this is a great one! And so are both of the Finnish tributes. Some great bands on there... Anima Morte, Jinetes Negros, Willowglass, Beardfish, Bootcut, Mist Season, etc... all of these sets are beautifully done. Check out the Dante trilogy or the Decameron series. Just fantastic. Countless hours of symphonic prog stuff, they are usually four-CD sets.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Somewhat urged on by our friend John Barleycorn, I recently ordered all three parts of the Decameron trilogy. I actually think they lost track and released more than 100 novellas (tracks)!
    Well, it seems like it. So far I'm enjoying them. I was a little disappointed that they're all in fat Jewel cases instead of nice digipaks. One tray was missing all its teeth. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Somewhat urged on by our friend John Barleycorn, I recently ordered all three parts of the Decameron trilogy. I actually think they lost track and released more than 100 novellas (tracks)!
    Well, it seems like it. So far I'm enjoying them. I was a little disappointed that they're all in fat Jewel cases instead of nice digipaks. One tray was missing all its teeth. Damn.
    I love those fat jewel cases. Of course, if they arrive damaged, they are hard to replace (whereas digipaks are pretty much impossible to replace if damaged in some way.) Fortunately mine are all in great shape apart from one which has a crack on the cover. Anyway, those will keep you busy for a while. But if you like what you hear, be sure to get the Divine Comedy trilogy (Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso)... I became a huge fan of the Russian band Little Tragedies as a result of these sets. Been tracking down all their albums since.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I love those fat jewel cases. Of course, if they arrive damaged, they are hard to replace (whereas digipaks are pretty much impossible to replace if damaged in some way.) Fortunately mine are all in great shape apart from one which has a crack on the cover. Anyway, those will keep you busy for a while. But if you like what you hear, be sure to get the Divine Comedy trilogy (Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso)... I became a huge fan of the Russian band Little Tragedies as a result of these sets. Been tracking down all their albums since.
    I guess the fat Jewel cases are the only things that will hold the fat booklets! And actually, the fat booklet helps hold in place the CD where the teeth of the jewel case fell out, so it sort of works out.