Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Another Sirius XM Surprise

Banned
    Man, am I glad that I didn't re-subscribe for $5 a month. That is a real final blow for Sirius, to remove perhaps the best channel for prog and prog related fans and put up a get the led out type of channel in it's place. Anyone for "Whole Lotta Love" for the umpteen millionth time?

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Man, am I glad that I didn't re-subscribe for $5 a month. That is a real final blow for Sirius, to remove perhaps the best channel for prog and prog related fans and put up a get the led out type of channel in it's place. Anyone for "Whole Lotta Love" for the umpteen millionth time?
    Zeppelin has been basically unlistenable to me for years. I can listen to Tea For One still, and I can handle Since I’ve Been Loving You at most once a year.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Happy about the Zepp channel but deep sixing Deep Tracks to do it is a joke. Zeppelin deserves their own channel, but kill something else. And how about dipping into the vast alternate world of live Zeppelin recordings like the Dead station does? That will keep your Zeppelin fresh...

They did something similar last year when they replaced the Jam Band station with the Phish station. I never hated Phish that much before this happened....
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Happy about the Zepp channel but deep sixing Deep Tracks to do it is a joke. Zeppelin deserves their own channel, but kill something else. And how about dipping into the vast alternate world of live Zeppelin recordings like the Dead station does? That will keep your Zeppelin fresh...

They did something similar last year when they replaced the Jam Band station with the Phish station. I never hated Phish that much before this happened....
    If you were around in 2005, you could have listened to XM Music Lab which was hybrid between Jam and Prog. I didn’t like the mix, but not having heard much modern Prog at that time, I was exposed to much of the 2nd and 3rd waves of Prog. I especially liked being turned on to Spock’s Beard and Transatlantic, Porcupine Tree and many of the bands I eventually heard at Prog fests.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    If you were around in 2005, you could have listened to XM Music Lab which was hybrid between Jam and Prog. I didn’t like the mix, but not having heard much modern Prog at that time, I was exposed to much of the 2nd and 3rd waves of Prog. I especially liked being turned on to Spock’s Beard and Transatlantic, Porcupine Tree and many of the bands I eventually heard at Prog fests.
    PS: Deep Tracks was more psych back then. Top Tracks was mainstream Classic rock from the 70’s which included much of the well known Prog bands of that time.

Yes I too wasn’t nuts about the jam bands on the playlist but they made up for it with all the progressive music.

I sure miss it

I was around here and not paying for XM, and that's where I discovered the 2nd and 3rd waves.

Still some great bands on the Jam Band station I heard in the last year like, the Allmans, Govt Mule, Marshall Tucker and Hot Tuna and some of the Jammys 2nd and 3rd waves like Derek Trucks, Leftover Salmon, Widespread Panic, etc...

To replace that with nothing but Phish was a crime against my ears, forced to delete the station from my faves.

Banned
    I was around here and not paying for XM, and that's where I discovered the 2nd and 3rd waves.

Still some great bands on the Jam Band station I heard in the last year like, the Allmans, Govt Mule, Marshall Tucker and Hot Tuna and some of the Jammys 2nd and 3rd waves like Derek Trucks, Leftover Salmon, Widespread Panic, etc...

To replace that with nothing but Phish was a crime against my ears, forced to delete the station from my faves.
    Agreed. But the damage done by the FCC allowing Sirius and XM to merge was much much bigger. And the damage was to music in general, not just Prog or Jam. For example, there has never been a channel like XM’s Fine Tuning that just seemed to understand “eclectic”. Certainly NPR thinks they are that, but it’s obvious that the campuses which used to push the boundaries of eclectic are dominated by older faculty, and not the college attendees themselves. This has happened for so long now, that even if change was forced, the corporations have won and it wouldn’t make a difference. I’m not whining, but I do believe if the government funds NPR, it has a responsibility provide an equal playing field. Not that everything must be equal, just that there should be equal info opportunity.

BTW, XM had state of the art audio data compression (enabled XM HD Surround) and Sirius canned that. The sound difference was obvious to me. When renting a car with Sirius, I couldn’t stand it. Today I have streaming from my iPhone to my car stereo. Mainly streaming internet stations to my phone.

Agreed. But the damage done by the FCC allowing Sirius and XM to merge was much much bigger. And the damage was to music in general, not just Prog or Jam. For example, there has never been a channel like XM’s Fine Tuning that just seemed to understand “eclectic”. Certainly NPR thinks they are that, but it’s obvious that the campuses which used to push the boundaries of eclectic are dominated by older faculty, and not the college attendees themselves. This has happened for so long now, that even if change was forced, the corporations have won and it wouldn’t make a difference. I’m not whining, but I do believe if the government funds NPR, it has a responsibility provide an equal playing field. Not that everything must be equal, just that there should be equal info opportunity.

BTW, XM had state of the art audio data compression (enabled XM HD Surround) and Sirius canned that. The sound difference was obvious to me. When renting a car with Sirius, I couldn’t stand it. Today I have streaming from my iPhone to my car stereo. Mainly streaming internet stations to my phone.
    Great points about Fine Tuning.

And you are spot on about the former sound quality of XM and crapola sound of the XM/Sirius.

Truly, the two merging was a terrible thing for sat radio, music, and competition.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Great points about Fine Tuning.

And you are spot on about the former sound quality of XM and crapola sound of the XM/Sirius.

Truly, the two merging was a terrible thing for sat radio, music, and competition.

Isn't that wonderful, I am paying for radio that used to sound so much better.

Since you are streaming to your phone, have you tried out the XM app? My phone is too cluttered right now for it, I usually just stream YT videos to my car. (yes I keep my eyes on the road, thanks)

They have a different lineup on the app, no prog station that I could spot, but possible some interesting stations?

Spectrum Discovery New Music Discovery A Spectrum of Emerging New Rock

Banned
    Isn't that wonderful, I am paying for radio that used to sound so much better.

Since you are streaming to your phone, have you tried out the XM app? My phone is too cluttered right now for it, I usually just stream YT videos to my car. (yes I keep my eyes on the road, thanks)

They have a different lineup on the app, no prog station that I could spot, but possible some interesting stations?

Spectrum Discovery New Music Discovery A Spectrum of Emerging New Rock
    Is that a Sirius XM app?

Is that a Sirius XM app?
    Yes.

God knows the XM DJ's are always shilling their wonderful app...

(I posted a link to the lineup, Spectrum Discovery is one of the stations.)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah stopped by to say THAT was a surprise. And they needed an Elvis channel? This may be the end of the road for me too. I wonder if this is because they eliminated some positions?

Did they add it back? I'm listening to Deep Tracks ch. 290 now. A show called Deep Tracks is on 11pm - 6am CT. Pink Floyd, Genesis is listed as artists play.

At the top of this page: https://www.siriusxm.com/deeptracks Be Bop Deluxe, Wishbone Ash, Quicksilver Messenger Service are listed.

I guess they just moved it. I'll have to reprogram it tomorrow. Sigh... (former first world problem).

It’s moving back to channel 27 on the 1st.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Yep. It's been the Led Zeppelin channel for the month of May.
    Chad

Banned
    Sirius is offering free, non-current subscriber access to former subscribers from 6/25 to 7/6 as a Summer Vacation special. Turned on Deep Tracks in the car and heard "Red Tide", from "Presto", at 4:20 PM, EDT.

It's good to have Deep Tracks back again, even for a short promo time frame.

Sirius is offering free, non-current subscriber access to former subscribers from 6/25 to 7/6 as a Summer Vacation special. Turned on Deep Tracks in the car and heard "Red Tide", from "Presto", at 4:20 PM, EDT.

Earl Bailey has a set he plays called “Head Trips.” It is a set of related songs. Once in a while, it is a prog set. Recently, one of these was “prog”

It included “South Side of the Sky” by Glass Hammer, “I Know What I Like” by Genesis and “America” by the Nice among many others.

Yesterday, the theme was Cars. It included “Drive” by the Cars, “White Car” by Yes immediately followed by “I’m in Love with My Car” by Queen. Later in the set was “Hot Rod Lincoln” by Commander Cody and “Drive My Car” by the Beatles. Many other “car” songs were played.

I listen on the app when I walk. It makes the walk more enjoyable.

Banned

No thanks, bad compression. I’d rather stream various stations from Tune In and I can chose the data rate. Something needs to break Sirius up into individual providers with individual content creation. Not that Sirius wouldn’t be allowed to create content, but the monopoly is a disasterous waste of resources. What if your cable company had complete control over all content? That’s Sirius. But cable likes Sirius because they don’t threaten their empires.

No thanks, bad compression. I’d rather stream various stations from Tune In and I can chose the data rate. Something needs to break Sirius up into individual providers with individual content creation. Not that Sirius wouldn’t be allowed to create content, but the monopoly is a disasterous waste of resources. What if your cable company had complete control over all content? That’s Sirius. But cable likes Sirius because they don’t threaten their empires.
    That is funny you posted this...
    I listened on the way home last night and thought, "I know the sound quality was bad before but it is really bad now!

It doesn't make me want to start a 'script back up. But my CDs sure sound good in the truck...

On yesterday’s (9/14/20) Head Trips (a daily show based around a specific theme), the theme was “ready” — songs containing that word in the title. The show capped off with Supper’s Ready.

On Friday (9/11/20) the theme was “For Headphones Only” which Earl Bailey does every couple weeks. It’s all progressive rock.

Shows are available on demand on the app for a week before they drop off.

This morning (9/15/20) Camel’s “Wing and a Prayer” was played.

^^ I never knew you could listen on demand!

Head Trips theme today (9/29/20) was "mountain." White Mountain by Genesis got played in the setlist.