Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Another Sirius XM Surprise

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Nektar - Remember the Future (not sure if they played the whole thing; Deep Tracks).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just heard Roger Waters (Pros & Cons title track) and Captain Beefheart.
    Pros and Cons is such a good album. Unfortunately it's the only track they will play from the album -- and it's the weakest one on there I think.

^ If only they’d play deeper tracks, like Sexual Revolution instead of Pros & Cons.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ If only they’d play deeper tracks, like Sexual Revolution instead of Pros & Cons.
    Instead of the daily barrage of Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, CSN&Y (and all their incarnations), Beatles, Dylan, Springsteen & the rest of the main 10-20 artists who get played to death.

They played a Glass Hammer song on Deep Tracks yesterday! Can't remember which one.

Heathaze by Genesis on Deep Tracks was a nice surprise when I got into my car the other day.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Last night on Deep Tracks, around 10:30 pm Central, I heard Crossfire by Yes from in “In a Word...”. Basically, HSW jamming pre Buggles in 1980.

The other day I got "Get 'Em Out by Friday" in the morning and "In the Cage" in the afternoon on Deep Tracks.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Out and about this afternoon, in search of toilet paper (just kidding, I have enough, but was in and out of the car). I heard this afternoon on Deep Tracks:

Kansas - Magnum Opus
    Genesis - Behind the Lines (Live)
    Steve Hackett - The Fundamentals of Brainwashing
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Do any prog groups do special XM Radio studio recordings like Porcupine Tree did in the early 2000's? PT did twice and many of the versions of the songs they performed I like better than the album versions. I never had and still don't have XM Radio, so I have no clue?
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Also today - about 2:30 Eastern time: Fountains of Lamneth - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Moribund View Post
    Out and about this afternoon, in search of toilet paper (just kidding, I have enough, but was in and out of the car). I heard this afternoon on Deep Tracks:

Kansas - Magnum Opus
    Genesis - Behind the Lines (Live)
    Steve Hackett - The Fundamentals of Brainwashing

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Do any prog groups do special XM Radio studio recordings like Porcupine Tree did in the early 2000's? PT did twice and many of the versions of the songs they performed I like better than the album versions. I never had and still don't have XM Radio, so I have no clue?
    Sirius is not Prog. XM was, and beyond. XM recorded shows in their studios and the one I remember was the Happy the Man concert. Sirius should be sued for the monopoly they created.

Heartattack in a Layby from the first show and Fadeaway from the second are my favorite versions of those songs.

They just played a track off Mike Oldfield’s Voyager which was very surprising.

Banned
    One of the worst things that they did when switching to Sirius/XM combined was ditching "Beyond Jazz", which truly was a modern Jazz-Rock/Fusion channel, including "Fusion Fridays". The current Jazz channel is a very generic, standard Jazz station similar to those Public Radio stations that primarily play older standards and give very little attention to Jazz/Rock or what I call modern era Jazz. Huge letdown for me.

Deep Tracks is fairly good with periodic flourishes of prog as observed in the posts above. However, one may hear some "deeper" prog cuts as stated above, followed by an early song by someone like Jesse Colin Young, before his voice changed and he learned to sing. It is too all-over-the-place to allow for continuous enjoyment over a period of time. I recall hearing "A Trip To The Fair" by Renaissance followed by "James Dean" by the Eagles. Now, nothing wrong with an Eagles "hit", but it belies the nomenclature of Deep Tracks and resembles what has transformed from "Underground" FM stations of the late 60's/early 70's into contemporary Classic Rock stations. No consistency of genre, at least not prog focused over time. Also, the proliferation of artist-based channels including Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, Grateful Dead and so on definitely was not of interest to me. I had most of those artists albums at one time or another, why would I want to hear them 24/7 on the radio today?

I cancelled my subscription about a year ago after they raised their prices again and refused to drop their billing practices, which saw them sending me a bill and, on the same day it was received in the mail, they sent a late notice E-mail reminder with the usual veiled threats on late fees and that I would continue to be charged the fees after they cut service, as I was on a contract basis. Not worth it to my way of thinking.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Have some Sirius comments about XM:

Wish my car had more then 12 setting for saved stations.

Ozzy's Boneyard is my favorite, but falls far short of expectations.

The only saved station I listen to that exceeds expectations is the Grateful Dead channel. I'm a big fan but I do not consider myself a Dead Head since there are so many songs by them I just cannot take, mostly ballads and down tempo stuff like Must Have Been the Roses.

But the live shows! Of course with over 3000 shows, they have the most vast catalog of live stuff that I know of, so that makes it easy. I love the featured "this day in GD history", where they play a full show from today's date in their catalog.

Sure I know Ozzy does not have the same huge live back catalog to dip into. So rare to hear anything at all live on his channel, when there is so much great live metal they should be playing. Plus so obvious is the auto programming, lots of the same hit songs from their go to groups and while they do play some deeper stuff, it is occasional. rather then the rule.

And why this station plays no Zeppelin at all is a mystery, especially when there are other XM stations that do. I'm guessing Zepp themselves have vetoed the idea of a Zeppelin XM station because that IMO would be the ultimate, plenty of live bootleg Zepp stuff that could be played...
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Oh and cancelling the Jam Band station, which was near perfect, and replacing it with the Phish station was a huge blunder...
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    One of the worst things that they did when switching to Sirius/XM combined was ditching "Beyond Jazz", which truly was a modern Jazz-Rock/Fusion channel, including "Fusion Fridays". The current Jazz channel is a very generic, standard Jazz station similar to those Public Radio stations that primarily play older standards and give very little attention to Jazz/Rock or what I call modern era Jazz. Huge letdown for me.

Deep Tracks is fairly good with periodic flourishes of prog as observed in the posts above. However, one may hear some "deeper" prog cuts as stated above, followed by an early song by someone like Jesse Colin Young, before his voice changed and he learned to sing. It is too all-over-the-place to allow for continuous enjoyment over a period of time. I recall hearing "A Trip To The Fair" by Renaissance followed by "James Dean" by the Eagles. Now, nothing wrong with an Eagles "hit", but it belies the nomenclature of Deep Tracks and resembles what has transformed from "Underground" FM stations of the late 60's/early 70's into contemporary Classic Rock stations. No consistency of genre, at least not prog focused over time. Also, the proliferation of artist-based channels including Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, Grateful Dead and so on definitely was not of interest to me. I had most of those artists albums at one time or another, why would I want to hear them 24/7 on the radio today?

I cancelled my subscription about a year ago after they raised their prices again and refused to drop their billing practices, which saw them sending me a bill and, on the same day it was received in the mail, they sent a late notice E-mail reminder with the usual veiled threats on late fees and that I would continue to be charged the fees after they cut service, as I was on a contract basis. Not worth it to my way of thinking.

Yup. My frustration too.

As well, they had the Prog channel (Music Lab) and their original Latin Jazz channel. They were worth the price.
    But now it is just zillions of channels of the same thing.

And to make matters worse, Jum Ladd poops all over the normally-good Deep tracks each afternoon.

To answer my own question about prog groups playing live on early XM radio here's what I've found:

YES (acoustic) 2002. Jon, Steve, Chris, Rick and Alan. I surely miss the REAL YES.
    Justin Hayward & John Lodge of The Moody Blues. (acoustic) 2003 A nice little set which includes a rare live version of Lovely To See You, one of my early favs by the Moodies.
    Rick Wakeman 2003 A nice solo piano and synthesizer set. Only problem is that he spends more time talking than actually playing. But when he does play he's spot on.
    Porcupine Tree 2004 and 2005. Both full band sets are flawless and it's so cool to hear alternate studio versions of some of my favorite PT songs.
    Jethro Tull 2004 The full band playing the entire Aqualung album. Great stuff, Ian could still sing, and Martin was still there.
    Happy The Man 2005 Another great set, shortly before their final break-up. They were in the wrong country for their time. Too bad.

That's all I've found, at least in prog-related shows. Did I miss any? All of the above are worth savoring and archiving.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Banned
    To answer my own question about prog groups playing live on early XM radio here's what I've found:

YES (acoustic) 2002. Jon, Steve, Chris, Rick and Alan. I surely miss the REAL YES.
    Justin Hayward & John Lodge of The Moody Blues. (acoustic) 2003 A nice little set which includes a rare live version of Lovely To See You, one of my early favs by the Moodies.
    Rick Wakeman 2003 A nice solo piano and synthesizer set. Only problem is that he spends more time talking than actually playing. But when he does play he's spot on.
    Porcupine Tree 2004 and 2005. Both full band sets are flawless and it's so cool to hear alternate studio versions of some of my favorite PT songs.
    Jethro Tull 2004 The full band playing the entire Aqualung album. Great stuff, Ian could still sing, and Martin was still there.
    Happy The Man 2005 Another great set, shortly before their final break-up. They were in the wrong country for their time. Too bad.

That's all I've found, at least in prog-related shows. Did I miss any? All of the above are worth savoring and archiving.
    The Happy the Man show was also broadcast in XM’s surround which some receivers could receive. Although I think it was Dolby Pro Logic encoding which wasn’t the best. A bigger point with me was the quality of the XM radio encoding/deciding g which was the best in the world. Sirius didn’t buy the patents, but worse than that, Sirius and Sirius/XM had the crappiest sound, worse than most internet streaming stations. Referring to the Sirius radios I heard in rental cars.

Switched on XM while taking a spin around the neighborhood this morning and I no longer have "Deep Tracks", it's been replaced with "Led Zeppelin" radio. Now I have nothing against a little Zep, but did they have to take my favorite Rock station to do it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Switched on XM while taking a spin around the neighborhood this morning and I no longer have "Deep Tracks", it's been replaced with "Led Zeppelin" radio. Now I have nothing against a little Zep, but did they have to take my favorite Rock station to do it?
    Don’t call it XM, it’s Sirius and now it has nothing to do with XM.

It’s supposedly just for the month of May. Deep Tracks is only available streaming during this time. Channel 290.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    It’s supposedly just for the month of May. Deep Tracks is only available streaming during this time. Channel 290.
    Thanks. hopefully the content gets more varied.

Thanks. hopefully the content gets more varied.
    It won’t.