Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22626869707172
Results 1,776 to 1,786 of 1786

Thread: YES featuring ARW 2016/2017 Tour Reviews

You have to believe Brian Lane would rather get his percentage off an album sale than a song download. But Rabin may be also thinking of what is really practical when it comes to nailing Jon down long enough to focus on any one thing.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

^ ^

After Talk, I wonder how much Jon Anderson contributed to the better songs on OYE*, The Ladder and Magnification . I have little doubt about his ability to write another "From The Balcony" or "Soft as a Dove."

* Yes, they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    After Talk, I wonder how much Jon Anderson contributed to the better songs on OYE*, The Ladder and Magnification . I have little doubt about his ability to write another "From The Balcony" or "Soft as a Dove."
    "From the Balcony" is a Howe tune with Anderson adding vocals/lyrics. "Soft as a Dove" seems to be the same. Anderson didn't write much of Open Your Eyes otherwise, although "Somehow..... Someday" is his, recycled from Animation.

The Ladder was more collaborative: Anderson had a hand, generally vocal melodies and lyrics (unsurprisingly), in just about every track, but songs that are particularly his are "If Only You Knew" and (with Howe) "Nine Voices".

The writing of Magnification is less clear. Again, the lyrics are nearly all Anderson's, probably most of the vocal melodies too, although we know certain songs originated from others ("Can You Imagine?" is Squire's, "In the Presence of" began with White and Homebrew 3 from Howe reveals some of his key contributions).

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

^ ^
    Thanks for helping with my curiousity on Anderson's role. I realize that he has made major contributions in the 70s and 80s even if not one of the main writers. I looked up credits for Anderson and Stoltz where Anderson is listed first on every song but that probably doesn't mean anyting based on the description of how that album came together over an 18 month period.

Imagine if Rabin collaborated with Eric Johnson. It would be an album for the 2030s, assuming they began immediately.

Imagine if Rabin collaborated with Eric Johnson. It would be an album for the 2030s, assuming they began immediately.
    Not if Peter Gabriel were going to do the vocals on it.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Not if Peter Gabriel were going to do the vocals on it.
    And Tom Scholz producing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    You have to believe Brian Lane would rather get his percentage off an album sale than a song download. But Rabin may be also thinking of what is really practical when it comes to nailing Jon down long enough to focus on any one thing.
    A few years ago it would have made more sense in that people would end up buying it twice, once as a download EP and then again when the album came out. Nowadays you don’t actually buy the digital only EP. You stream it and there has been ample discussion of how crap streaming royalties are. From a revenue standpoint it seems better for an older band with fans who are mostly in the Gen X to Boomer age range to go whole hog on the physical media route with deluxe editions, vinyl etc. like they did with Anderson/Stolt. You could go to four discs with one devoted to new studio recordings, two with the live recordings and then a DVD or Blu Ray with live music plus the album in surround. Then you have vinyl released separately.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    A few years ago it would have made more sense in that people would end up buying it twice, once as a download EP and then again when the album came out. Nowadays you don’t actually buy the digital only EP. You stream it and there has been ample discussion of how crap streaming royalties are. From a revenue standpoint it seems better for an older band with fans who are mostly in the Gen X to Boomer age range to go whole hog on the physical media route with deluxe editions, vinyl etc. like they did with Anderson/Stolt. You could go to four discs with one devoted to new studio recordings, two with the live recordings and then a DVD or Blu Ray with live music plus the album in surround. Then you have vinyl released separately.
    I like how people like Steven Wilson do it (KC has been doing it this way since the VROOM/THRAK days) where there's a whole campaign around a release that can drag on for several years. You start with teasers, then maybe put out an EP, then maybe a limited number of live dates (recorded of course) before ever going into the studio for the album proper. Of course that's a larger commitment of time and effort on everybody's part, which may be beyond what the ARW folks are willing to sign up for.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    A few years ago it would have made more sense in that people would end up buying it twice, once as a download EP and then again when the album came out. Nowadays you don’t actually buy the digital only EP. You stream it and there has been ample discussion of how crap streaming royalties are. From a revenue standpoint it seems better for an older band with fans who are mostly in the Gen X to Boomer age range to go whole hog on the physical media route with deluxe editions, vinyl etc. like they did with Anderson/Stolt.
    I thought most bands gave up on CDs and DVDs for revenue a long time ago and that the money was found in the concerts, including those classy ARW T-shirts and coffee mugs. Bon Jovi supposedly gets almost half of its revenue from selling $1,999 folding chairs that say "Jon Bon Jovi Sat Here".

I thought most bands gave up on CDs and DVDs for revenue a long time ago and that the money was found in the concerts, including those classy ARW T-shirts and coffee mugs. Bon Jovi supposedly gets almost half of its revenue from selling $1,999 folding chairs that say "Jon Bon Jovi Sat Here".
    I remember 30 years ago "I slept with Jon Bon Jovi" T-shirts were popular with girls at the Jersey shore. Now he only sits in their chairs...

I think this version would be suited for songs from the first two albums. Sweet Dreams, Astral Traveler, Time and a Word would fit nicely into the set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk