Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: YES featuring ARW 2016/2017 Tour Reviews

Good point. When Yes became Foreigner, they did sell a lot of records!

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar

ARW 2016 Tour Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Good point. When Yes became Foreigner, they did sell a lot of records!
    Trevor Horn helped make sure they didn't sound like Foreigner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I understand the tenure issue, but, I have a tough time leaving Wakeman off of any list. Why does the stool have to have three legs, anyway?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I understand the tenure issue, but, I have a tough time leaving Wakeman off of any list. Why does the stool have to have three legs, anyway?
    More like 17?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yes did not become Foreigner. Bad Company did.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Trevor Horn helped make sure they didn't sound like Foreigner.
    I love Trevor Horn's stories about the demo songs featuring "Yeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr Luuuuurrrrrrrrrvvvvvv". Hilarious.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar

ARW 2016 Tour Reviews

It was Asia, featuring Steve Howe, which hewed closer to that AOR template than YesWest did, to my ears anyway. Can we talk about GTR too?

"It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Oh my god are they absolutely hideous! Totally amateurish, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if these guys designed them themselves.

I mean, really bad.
    Not only that but look at the fucking prices! I'd stand there and start laughing if I saw that kind of shit.

Sad to see t-shirt prices go up so much, regardless of quality or artwork. I noticed at the Yes show last month that prices were a bit ridiculous. I remember having to scrape up for a $25 tee for any random band just a few years ago. Jacking up the price is a crappy move, especially when ticket prices are sky high these days. No wonder there are so many bootleg t-shirts out there.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    Sad to see t-shirt prices go up so much, regardless of quality or artwork. I noticed at the Yes show last month that prices were a bit ridiculous. I remember having to scrape up for a $25 tee for any random band just a few years ago. Jacking up the price is a crappy move, especially when ticket prices are sky high these days. No wonder there are so many bootleg t-shirts out there.
    As I wrote a few pages back, $40 for an ARW t-shirt is exactly what it cost in 1975. We have this thing called "inflation". Ticket prices are also not sky high you geezers!

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    We have this thing called "inflation"
    And wages have been stagnant for the past 15 years. I'm what you call "the working poor" and I'm not plunking down $40 for a damn t-shirt for ANY band!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Just came back from the Bethlehem show...

No changes to the set list from the past 2 nights. It was an amazing show, well played and sung. Trevor's voice was great, I was really impressed with it, and he seemed to be higher in the harmony mix and singing more backing vocals than earlier in this tour. Jon is Jon, what more can be said. Wakeman played very well and sound choices are much improved. He got a huge ovation when introduced, and was singing along to the songs, something I never saw him do before. I loved the rearrangements, they are a treat, although Jon introduces or gives away some of the songs before they begin, not something he usually does. Early in the show he started to chant the first verse to Close To The Edge, it was just a teaser unfortunately! Everyone enjoyed themselves onstage, much different vibe than Yes at times. I was expecting Jon's voice to struggle during The Meeting, but he sounded great, though I detected more echo than what you hear on the YouTube.

Highlights for me were Perpetual Change (always loved that on the Talk tour). Heart Of The Sunrise and Awaken were probably the best and most intense numbers they did. What more can you say about those two. I like what Trevor reinterprets in Awaken, although Steve's coda is gone (it always seemed a bit tacked on). Trevor in general is a lot more tasty with the Yes numbers than he was in the mid 80s I thought. The crowd loved Jon, he told a funny story about being wasted in the Carribbean when he and Rick came up with The Meeting. The rhythm section really played well, although Lou's drum kit arrangement looks very unusual. I heard no flubs, Trevor was razor sharp. And You And I might be the one song that missed Steve and of course Chris the most. Oh and Jon spent a fair amount of time recognizing Chris after LDR/The Fish, which was quite long and a fitting tribute, much to the audiences' delight. The place looked full, one of the security said it holds 2,800 for these type shows. I would have enjoyed ST, but what was played was energetic, joyous and very well received. Don't miss this show if it comes anywhere near you!

What a nice bookend to the Yes show I saw in July. It has been some year for Jon, he is back and in a big way!

As I wrote a few pages back, $40 for an ARW t-shirt is exactly what it cost in 1975. We have this thing called "inflation". Ticket prices are also not sky high you geezers!
    You keep saying this. But the prices are high, comparatively speaking, I'm not talking about the 70s here. The best seats at the Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited I saw was almost half the price of what the ARW show is starting at in one of the UK shows I looked up. Sure, it's an arena that ARW are playing as opposed to a theatre that Hackett played, but I don't think they'll ever fill an arena anyway. ARW might have even sold out the theatre.

The reviews are good- I didn't have much doubt in their ability to deliver a good show. But I think the venues/prices chosen overstate the pulling power.

I was also at the Bethlehem show.

Solid through Heart Of The Sunshine....after that it seemed kind of flat.

Jon is in great shape as is Trevor.....the guitar could have been higher in the mix.

One thing I will add is about Lou's drum solo: it was short, flashy, complicated and funny.....I really enjoyed it!

It was a good show, but if they tour again, I don't think I would go.

They really blew it with Roundabout as an encore....it's been done to death, time to retire it from both bands.

Just noticed they have added a second London date so they must be selling well even at the relatively high price.

Uh, no. T-shirts back then were, what, five bucks? In 2016 dollars, that would be $22.00

http://www.in2013dollars.com/1975-do...-2016?amount=5
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I totally and completely disagree that Anderson has ever been "capably replaced".
    To my way of thinking there are five Yes albums that don't feature Howe, including the band's single most commercially successful album, 90125, and I like all five of them to one degree or another. Meanwhile there are three albums that lack Anderson one of which, Drama, I enjoy quite a bit while Fly From Here is a mixed bag and Heaven & Earth is fraught with suckitude. I'd note that the band has never been successful without Anderson the way they were without Howe on 90125.
    Second.
    ...I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not.
    AC

Uh, no. T-shirts back then were, what, five bucks? In 2016 dollars, that would be $22.00

http://www.in2013dollars.com/1975-do...-2016?amount=5
    Concert T shirts in 1975 were $8 - $10. I was curious so looked it up.
    Last edited by yamishogun; 10-15-2016 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Fair enough. I personally won't be going to these shows because of this but I hope that they do sell well and demand is high.

Jon's vocals are a revelation given all the stories about how his voice had declined. Actually as far as I can make out, not many songs have been down-tuned after all. I also find it hard to accept any suggestion he was 'capably replaced' when every other singer they've ever hired has basically had to- let's be honest- 'be Jon'. It's not like when, say, Deep Purple hired David Coverdale/Glenn Hughes after Ian Gillan...singers that weren't really anything like their predecessor. In other words, the spectre of Anderson hovers over them and always will.
    I caught Jon with JLP last year and I was duly gobsmacked at how strong his singing was. I was totally unprepared for that and his overall level of energy, so I'm not surprised to see he's bringing his A-game (for someone his age, especially).

I'm still on the fence about whether to see the show. I want to support Jon, Rick and Trevor, but I'm not in the mood to support Brian Lane's "gouge 'em while you can" pricing strategy. And I'm in the "2 Yeses is OK" camp, especially with Steve championing the 70s band's proggier output (c'mon Steve, you guys can do Relayer -- no problem! )

I would love to see Jon and Steve bury the hatchet (with Rick as well), but I don't think that's going to happen. I think they all have an attitude of "I may not have many years to keep doing this so I might as well actually enjoy myself" which means zero tolerance for personality conflicts.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post

I'm still on the fence about whether to see the show. I want to support Jon, Rick and Trevor, but I'm not in the mood to support Brian Lane's "gouge 'em while you can" pricing strategy.
    Brian Lane isn't "gouging" anyone. He and others try to determine how much people are willing to pay for different seats. It is supply and demand - that's it. If you feel it is worth seeing them for a certain price, then go; if you don't feel it is worth the price then don't go.

In 2014, I could have seen Yes in my city for $75, the cheapest seat. I heard the energy of the concerts that year wasn't that high, so I didn't think it was worth it to go. Had it been $45, I would have gone, and it turned out to be one of Chris Squire's last concerts.

Just looked it up: The average concert ticket in 2001 was $47 or $64 in 2016 dollars. The cheapest ARW tickets in Chicago are $47 and I've seen tickets for $75 - of course there are higher best seats. Average $47 and $75 and you have a $61 ticket, a little lower than average.
    Last edited by yamishogun; 10-15-2016 at 07:07 PM.

http://rockatnight.com/2016/10/arw-a...rock-classics/
    They look real happy in that pic!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Don't they. They look as if they are simply having the most incredible fun together.

Just got back from the Keswick show not too long ago. Very good show. Not really anything unexpected just a good fun show.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Just got back from the Keswick show not too long ago. Very good show. Not really anything unexpected just a good fun show.
    Likewise. I felt that the Rabin-era songs came across the best, in particular the extended Make it Easy/Owner jamming. There were times - "And You And I" in particular - that I felt was glaringly missing Howe. All in all though a good time was had. If I were the master of the setlist, I would have somehow wedged "Changes" and/or "Hearts" in there along with solos from from both Wakeman and Rabin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I agree. This makes me very happy to see they all seem to be really enjoying themselves.