Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: McLaughlin/Herring Meeting of the Spirits TOUR!

McLaughlin/Herring Meeting of the Spirits TOUR!

At last JM is going to be playing a lot of Mahavishnu music live for the first time in decades and ace guitarist Jimmy Herring is in on it all too!

THE MEETING OF THE SPIRITS TOUR
    Nov-Dec 2017

GUITARIST JOHN MCLAUGHLIN REVISITS THE LEGACY OF HIS LEGENDARY MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA ON UPCOMING AMERICAN TOUR WITH CO-HEADLINER VIRTUOSO GUITARIST JIMMY HERRING.

In a career that spans more than five decades, John McLaughlin has honed a personal vision that transcends all boundaries, becoming one of improvised music’s most influential guitarists, composers, and bandleaders. McLaughlin will be joined by the remarkable Jimmy Herring, who has been in the creative forefront of the thriving American rock-jam band movement for 25 years, for what has been dubbed The Meeting of the Spirits tour. Highlighting this musical adventure, will be John McLaughlin revisiting the pioneering music he introduced with his deeply influential, genre-defying Mahavishnu Orchestra. McLaughlin will be backed by his current band, the 4th Dimension – Ranjit Barot (drums), Gary Husband (keyboards, drums), and Etienne M’Bappé (bass) – each an established composer and recording artist in his own right.

Jimmy Herring, best known for his inspired contributions to the Aquarium Rescue Unit, The Allman Brothers, Widespread Panic, The Dead, and others, will be co-headlining each show with his own band. “Herring possesses the heart and soul of a rocker, the chops and harmonic awareness of a jazz artist, and the simpatico personality of a jam-band player,” according to Guitar Player magazine. 2017 also marks the return of Jimmy Herring as a bandleader since touring after his widely acclaimed “Lifeboat” (2008) and “Subject to Change without Notice” (2012).

On The Meeting of the Spirits tour, separate sets by Herring and McLaughlin will be followed by the two joining forces for an expansive closing jam based on classic Mahavishnu Orchestra material. The tour will feature the first extended collaborations between two of world’s foremost improvising guitarists. Expect special surprise guests to be added when available.

“The music of Mahavishnu is part of my personal and musical history, and as such it is inseparable from me,” McLaughlin reflects. “To return to these pieces with the experience I've had for the past 45 years, since the majority of those pieces were played all those years ago, is very exciting.”

Herring adds, “John’s influence on me is far-reaching. When first hearing him, I was struck by the raw emotion and technical prowess he has. If you listen to John long enough, the layers of all the things that make him unique will reveal themselves…Inner Mounting Flame changed my life and the way I heard music. By the time I heard it in 1980, John had long since moved on and recreated himself, as he has done many times throughout his career. It is an honor and a privilege to do this tour with John and the 4th Dimension.”

McLaughlin’s first extensive U.S. tour in seven years, The Meeting of the Spirits also marks his first extended exploration of the Mahavishnu Orchestra material from seminal albums such as Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire, Between Nothingness and Eternity, Visions of the Emerald Beyond and more since the band’s original heyday in the 1970s.
    “To play the music of Mahavishnu is not for the faint-hearted,” says McLaughlin, who celebrates his 75th birthday in 2017. “In fact, among the only people I know who have succeeded in interpreting Mahavishnu music are my two all-time favorite guitarists: Jimmy Herring and Jeff Beck. Jimmy is simply a great guitar player, and since we see so eye to eye in music, I know we will have some extraordinary musical experiences touring together.”
    McLaughlin strongly feels that this will be his last American performances. He is hoping that all of his friends who have supported him over the years can come out to celebrate this tour with him. After all, it was in America that he met Miles Davis and Tony Williams and played on such trailblazing albums as In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew. America was the true birthplace of the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Booking/Management
    Abstract Logix, e: agency@abstractlogix.com ph: +1(919)342-5700
    www.abstractlogix.com/agency

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Please let this come close to KC!

I'm in
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

You should sit in!

Dates...We want Dates!!!!!!

Total cant miss.

Best news I've heard in several YEARS

...Damn though, Fall of 2017......long wait....and possibly JML last trip to the US.......makes going even more important (not that I needed any convincing)
    Last edited by Supersonic Scientist; 10-03-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Great... except from what I can tell, they're only playing in NYC and Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Great... except from what I can tell, they're only playing in NYC and Melbourne, Australia.
    That would suck.......NOT!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

How do u know this?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    How do u know this?
    http://www.abstractlogix.com/agency/...erring/#tab-02 See the Tours tab.

Not sent using Tapatalk

Hope they come to the Bay Area...it's a no-brainer.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    http://www.abstractlogix.com/agency/...erring/#tab-02 See the Tours tab.

Not sent using Tapatalk
    Those are NOT dates for this. Did you even click on the (2) links for tickets?

Does remind I'll see J McL with Chick in a couple of months performing electric Return To Forever sets.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Damn, that was exciting. McLaughlin is still the master.

Does remind I'll see J McL with Chick in a couple of months performing electric Return To Forever sets.
    Yeah, something messed up for both venues. The link for tix in Australia is for Jon McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Hope they come to the Bay Area...it's a no-brainer.
    You are absolutely correct!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO, since it's not in my area. Just now I did, because I was a bit curious, but the Google play store comes up and tries shoving some app at me, so I'm still in the dark about what your knickers are twisted over.

Woah! This is awesome! must see

Now that I'm on a computer, I took another look.

The mistake was not mine, nor was it No Pride's . That page is listing McLaughlin/Corea dates and an entirely different Jon McLaughlin under the banner of "John McLaughlin & Jimmy Herring – THE MEETING OF THE SPIRITS TOUR".

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I would like very much to get a ticket to this.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

JM is not to be missed! I hope they come near Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    JM is not to be missed! I hope they come near Detroit.
    That makes two of us for Detroit.Big Herring fan here .

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    He played in Ottawa, with the same band (minus herring), five or six years ago. It was sublime. It's likely wishing too hard for return to Ottawa but I'd travel in a flash to Montreal or Toronto.