Thread: Roberto Cacciapaglia: any recommendations ?

Roberto Cacciapaglia: any recommendations ?

Most members on this forum probably never heard about Roberto Cacciapaglia but it's a highly respected musician in Italy with a wide musical pedigree: experimental, electronic, avant-garde, ambient, minimalism, classical, orchestral, repetitive... and he often uses a clever mixture of all these genres in the same work. Mainly know for his 1st release, the classical-electro-cosmic Sonanze (from 1974) he has released dozens of other works which are mostly unknow/unheard and hard to find outside of Italy. Which one(s) would you recommend, if possible in a similar style than Sonanze. (The only one I've heard from him and one of my favourite electronic records)

NOTHING else he has done sounds remotely like Sonanze, IMO.

In terms of recomendations, his follow up Sei Note In Logica is my favorite by him, but it is a 'systems music' release and sounds nothing like his first.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar

During the vinyl era, I own Sonanze (Cosmic Couriers label) and Sei Note In Logica (Philips label). Now, during the CD era, I own the same two titles. The main reason I own those two albums still is that they are magnificent!

Other than that, I have not heard much that I care for -- that Roberto Cacciapaglia has been involved with -- in the past 10 or 15 years, which has been Roberto's approach to pop music. These are the albums Arcana, The Ann Steel Album, and Tempus Fugit. I have not heard Quarto Tempo and Canone Degli Spazi, which I believe is his latest.

I just own "Sei Note In Logica" but I think this one is really awesome.

Some of the vocals are German and somewhat funny.

No other album of his, is similar to Sonanze. Sei Note In Logica is the favourite of mine.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Thanks for your inputs. Does anybody heard his latest (2015) work: "Tree Of Life" ? Sounds interesting:

"Tree of Life Suite - Single Tree of Life Suite is a composition with themes and variations that follow one another in a way of making music that goes beyond the written notes, to a share of emotional depth. Some songs are performed with the participation of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, which, with the piano, underlines the acoustic aspect, organic sound, along with an electronic equipment and a technology that allows to bring to light the sounds inaudible to the human ear , harmonics. A song is played by the voice of a soprano, an icon of femininity mother, fertility, birth. Idea and shape of the tree I felt something very ancient, ancestral set of great modernity. A match in which the music is connected to this symbol and shows the legends of Orpheus, and through the power of sound charmed dolphins and made trees dance.

Tree of Life Suite - Tree of Life Suite CD contains, besides the suite Ultimately, all the songs composed and selected for the night show of the Tree of Life of EXPO 2015. "This work required me the essence and the concentration of all the sound explorations that I made during my career, to get, in Tree of Life Suite, in a summary. In this CD I wanted to include some songs that are not part of the Suite definitive, but that has been crucial for me in the first phase of work to get to the end result, I worked carefully for this event, which I consider a great experience to challenge and sharing ".

FYI

Most of his Albums are now reissued by a Russian lable (Miru-Mir which seems to be legit) as LP+CD combinations.

His legendary 1974 jam with the Cosmic Couriers crew (Gille Lettmann, Dieter Dierks, Jürgen Dollase, Harald Großkopf and Stephan Kaske), is finally released almost 50 years after its recording. I've been waiting 30 years for this move, since I originally heard it on tape.

cover.jpg
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I have three of his albums on LP (+CD) by Mirumir: Sonanze, Sei Note In Logica and Generazioni Del Cielo. Of these I like Sonanze the most.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    His legendary 1974 jam with the Cosmic Couriers crew (Gille Lettmann, Dieter Dierks, Jürgen Dollase, Harald Großkopf and Stephan Kaske), is finally released almost 50 years after its recording. I've been waiting 30 years for this move, since I originally heard it on tape.

cover.jpg
    Wow ! Didn't heard about this.
    Thank you for the info.
    Just ordered it.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 11-21-2023 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunamis View Post
    I have three of his albums on LP (+CD) by Mirumir: Sonanze, Sei Note In Logica and Generazioni Del Cielo. Of these I like Sonanze the most.
    I think Sonanze is (and will remain) his best work. (Note In Logica is OK too, but very different)
    All his most recent (orchestral) works I've heard are on the easy/sirupy/heavy/bombastic romantic side, close to the worst Vangelis orchestral/symphonic works. Not recommended.
    Gone are the days of experimentation, he's now a respected (classical ?) composer.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 11-21-2023 at 04:02 PM.