Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zappa Releases

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Zappa Releases

There was a thread over the summer of some new Zappa so forgive me if some of this was mentioned, but I just saw 3 new Zappa releases scheduled for November 4:

Little Dots: another Petite Wazoo live performance (1972)
    Chicago 78: from Sept 29, the late show, 2 CDs
    Meat Light: Uncle Meat given the Project/Object treatment, released on 3 CDs (disc 1 is the original vinyl remastered, discs 2 and 3 seem to be similar to what we got with Lumpy Money - studio outtakes and unreleased material)

Coming out tomorrow on DVD (or already released?, Amazon has both listed):

Eat That Question - the FZ documentary that was released in the theaters over the late spring/early summer

Plus, already released a couple of weeks ago:

Zappatite: Frank Zappa's Tastiest Tracks (apparently another greatest hits type thing)

Ta for the thumbs up on the Uncle Meat fuzzy dice and bongos again!

As a Zappa obsessive I'll be buying Dots, Chicago and Meat as well as the ETQ DVD. I saw it in a theater and it's well worth owning a hard copy of.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    There was a thread over the summer of some new Zappa so forgive me if some of this was mentioned, but I just saw 3 new Zappa releases scheduled for November 4:

Little Dots: another Petite Wazoo live performance (1972)
    Chicago 78: from Sept 29, the late show, 2 CDs
    Meat Light: Uncle Meat given the Project/Object treatment, released on 3 CDs (disc 1 is the original vinyl remastered, discs 2 and 3 seem to be similar to what we got with Lumpy Money - studio outtakes and unreleased material)

Coming out tomorrow on DVD (or already released?, Amazon has both listed):

Eat That Question - the FZ documentary that was released in the theaters over the late spring/early summer

Plus, already released a couple of weeks ago:

Zappatite: Frank Zappa's Tastiest Tracks (apparently another greatest hits type thing)
    Is there a reason why the more recent Zappa Family releases (2015 and 2016) have reasonable prices, compared to the earlier stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Is there a reason why the more recent Zappa Family releases (2015 and 2016) have reasonable prices, compared to the earlier stuff?
    I'm guessing it may have to do with Ahmet being the one in charge of the business side of things now. Maybe someone with more knowledge could shed some light.

...maybe because the family has $5.5 million of Lady Gaga's money now?
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    http://tinyurl.com/o3zn3p9

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    LOL. Sometimes the most obvious reason is the real reason.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the Universal distribution deal.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I'm guessing it has something to do with the Universal distribution deal.
    Yes, but that link tells you why there was a Universal deal.

Things changed hugely for the better, at least as far as the 'outside world' was concerned, in terms of being able to buy product, being able to perform songs without being hassled for doing things that you are legally allowed to do, etc etc etc, once Ahmet took over.

Period.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I am done buying from the ZFT.....F them!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    ...maybe because the family has $5.5 million of Lady Gaga's money now?
    I'm guessing that money is mostly gone from paying off debt.

Halloween 77 will be released on october 6th:

“Halloween was Frank Zappa’s favourite holiday and by 1977 his Halloween shows were legendary. Recorded live at The Palladium in NYC, Zappa performed six shows 28‐31 October. Four shows were filmed and resulted in Zappa’s movie Baby Snakes.
    - The Halloween 77 3CD version includes the Halloween night show in its entirely, mixed in 2016 from original Vault masters, plus select tracks from the other five shows.
    - The Halloween 77 Box Set includes all six shows in their entirety, mixed in 2016 from original Vault masters, on USB stick in 24‐bit WAV audio with 32‐page digital booklet, Zappa Halloween mask & costume. The shows rock hard and feature unreleased performances and arrangements."
    [initially announced as a 14-CD set...]

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    - The Halloween 77 Box Set includes all six shows in their entirety, mixed in 2016 from original Vault masters, on USB stick in 24‐bit WAV audio with 32‐page digital booklet, Zappa Halloween mask & costume. The shows rock hard and feature unreleased performances and arrangements."
    Unless I'm forgetting something, it was never announced as a 14-CD set. Belew wrote that it would include all six shows, and fans figured that it would take 14 CDs based on the unofficial recordings available.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Halloween 77 will be released on october 6th:

“Halloween was Frank Zappa’s favourite holiday and by 1977 his Halloween shows were legendary. Recorded live at The Palladium in NYC, Zappa performed six shows 28‐31 October. Four shows were filmed and resulted in Zappa’s movie Baby Snakes.
    - The Halloween 77 3CD version includes the Halloween night show in its entirely, mixed in 2016 from original Vault masters, plus select tracks from the other five shows.
    So the box set doesn't have any CDs, correct?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    So the box set doesn't have any CDs, correct?
    Right. So by Oct, 8th or so you should be able to download it from a variety of places.

Hope the USB stick box idea keeps it affordable.

Hilarious! Yeah, the Zappa family are known for their economical pricing!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Hope the USB stick box idea keeps it affordable.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Hilarious! Yeah, the Zappa family are known for their economical pricing!
    Since Gail passed away, prices on Zappa releases have dropped to a very reasonable level. From the links about Halloween 77 it appears it is $29.98 for the 3-CD, $79.99 for download (possibly lossy) of the six shows from Amazon or $99.98 for the USB set with lossless files of the six shows.
    Last edited by pb2015; 09-26-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Since Gail passed away, prices on Zappa releases have dropped to a very reasonable level.
    As I said in the hologram thread, the moment Ahmet took over the ZFT, all the b.s. and games and etc. stopped....

Dweezil's bone notwithstanding......
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Well, that's certainly nice to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Since Gail passed away, prices on Zappa releases have dropped to a very reasonable level. From the links about Halloween 77 it appears it is $29.98 for the 3-CD, $79.99 for download (possibly lossy) of the six shows from Amazon or $99.98 for the USB set with lossless files of the six shows.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Banned
    Forget the box set, who wants MP3s, well who really needs the 3cd version either. AHMET NEED MONEY

Quote Originally Posted by Zinister View Post
    Forget the box set, who wants MP3s,
    The box set does not contain MP3s, it is WAV files in better than CD quality.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Banned
    Wav, who cares, it should be in the CD format.

It's been eons since we last heard from Zappa, haven't we ?

http://bit.ly/HWEEN77

Halloween 77 will be available in three forms : Box Set with USB and stuff, 3CD and individual downloads for each concert.