Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Zappa Releases

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    QuAudiophiliac. If someone told me I could only keep one single disc of FZ, that's likely to be my pick.
    I'd like to hear more of that Venusian Time Bandits solo if there is any? It's just a teaser at 1:54 but it really smokes!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Isn't it DVD A? I dont think I can play that.
    If you have a DVD player or computer with a DVD-capable drive, it will play DVD-A.
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

Quaudiophiliac is indeed a great collection of music, Chalk, and indeed all you need is a standard DVD player to access the stereo layer - it was designed as a surround showcase but works beautifully as a stereo release - hope you can find a copy!

I just ordered Buffalo. I've heard enough about it from people here, so I figured I needed it. Plus, my wife couldn't figure out a birthday gift for me. So there.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

The eons are closing
    For this 'shark, I love Carnegie Hall, Wazoo amd Imaginary Diseases
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I just ordered Buffalo. I've heard enough about it from people here, so I figured I needed it. Plus, my wife couldn't figure out a birthday gift for me. So there.
    Its insanely good. Besides Fine Girl and the studio overdubs of Easy Meat, I like it better than Tinseltown Rebellion, and I really dig that album too. If you dig this era of FZ, you will love it. Matt was right about the vocals - possibly the best I have ever heard in a Zappa concert. Ike and Ray were killing it that night.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    If you have a DVD player or computer with a DVD-capable drive, it will play DVD-A.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Quaudiophiliac is indeed a great collection of music, Chalk, and indeed all you need is a standard DVD player to access the stereo layer - it was designed as a surround showcase but works beautifully as a stereo release - hope you can find a copy!
    Cheers lads.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I'd like to hear more of that Venusian Time Bandits solo if there is any? It's just a teaser at 1:54 but it really smokes!
    It's the entire solo (an unusually short solo for FZ). The show tape circulates, October 1 1974 (early) Basel Switzerland. FZ added the guitar effects later.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    It's the entire solo (an unusually short solo for FZ). The show tape circulates, October 1 1974 (early) Basel Switzerland. FZ added the guitar effects later.
    Thanks for the info.

Apparently Venusian Time Bandits is from More Trouble Every Day. Just starting to listen, but:
    https://youtu.be/Khth3wqq1k4?t=5423

Unfortunately, the guitar is the only instrument that's hard to hear on that bootleg. I would love to hear some of this show with a proper mix. Especially the 12 minute Cosmik Debris.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Unfortunately, the guitar is the only instrument that's hard to hear on that bootleg. I would love to hear some of this show with a proper mix. Especially the 12 minute Cosmik Debris.
    An audience tape surfaced of the show (I don't think it's on YouTube). It ends before the "Venusian.." solo but you can hear the rest of the show with a more balanced mix.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    BTW, I noticed one of the online vendors has Ahead Of Their Time marked down to like five bucks. Anyone familiar with that one? Isn't the show the version of Oh No/Orange County Lumber Truck on Weasels Ripped My Flesh was supposed to have been edited out of?
    It's the show Orange County comes from and it is worth owning.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I went ahead and ordered Ahead Of Their Time from Wayside Music. Steve had it for 8 bucks, so I figured that was a good price, and I was ordering something else anyway (the big Tangerine Dream boxset), and I figured an extra item would be ok.

Last night I went for sleep and put one earphone with Joe's Garage playing. I don't know what happened, but fell asleep and woke up at 5 30 and pressed the play button. It was Sy Borg: the combination of incredible music with obscene and hilarious lyrics, Ike's vocals and robotic interventions created a completely otherworldly impression on me. How come such a song is possible?

(I know, OT, but I needed to share)

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Last night I went for sleep and put one earphone with Joe's Garage playing. I don't know what happened, but fell asleep and woke up at 5 30 and pressed the play button. It was Sy Borg: the combination of incredible music with obscene and hilarious lyrics, Ike's vocals and robotic interventions created a completely otherworldly impression on me. How come such a song is possible?

(I know, OT, but I needed to share)
    Sy Borg is one of my personal FZ favorites! Possibly my fav tune on disc one of JG. The rhythm section alone makes it great....but yeah its totally unique even within FZ's world. Love it! There is a cool live version on Chicago '78.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Sy Borg is one of my personal FZ favorites! Possibly my fav tune on disc one of JG. The rhythm section alone makes it great....but yeah its totally unique even within FZ's world. Love it! There is a cool live version on Chicago '78.
    I always knew that Joe's Garage is pretty cool, but your high appreciation for it made me scratch the surface and go a bit deeper. I think the way for grasping it is to listen to it in one go, as a single 2 hour song. And then it makes totally sense, and it's prophetic, apocalyptic, redeeming and a joy. So cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I always knew that Joe's Garage is pretty cool, but your high appreciation for it made me scratch the surface and go a bit deeper. I think the way for grasping it is to listen to it in one go, as a single 2 hour song. And then it makes totally sense, and it's prophetic, apocalyptic, redeeming and a joy. So cheers.
    Excellent - thanks for sharing. JG was one of the first Zappa albums I ever heard, so it will always be special to me. It's a Top 10 FZ album for me without a doubt. I also love the production.

I love "Joe's Garage."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

The only thing about Joe's Garage is that I think Zappa should have released it as a 3-LP set to begin with rather than as two separate albums released two months apart. When Act I was released I found it rather underwhelming on its own. Acts II & III really seemed to up the ante with meatier compositions, a greater emphasis on the guitar, funnier lyrics, and the sublimely filthy "Sy Borg" with that lubricious synth squirming all over the place. Put it all together and Act I benefits from being heard in context, but on its own it seemed like a bit of a dud.
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    .. and the sublimely filthy "Sy Borg" with that lubricious synth squirming all over the place.
    That's a great description! And I agree that ACT I gains in context of the triple LP format. Of course it is completely different to have caught this music on release, or even as a youngster as introduction ro Zappa's music. I heard Joe's Garage much later than his early work, and what wouldn't pale in comparison to Uncle Meat or Hot Rats? And yet, it doesn't - it's just a different age and cultural surrounding, of which Zappa was always aware. But it's definitely still genius.

^^ Plus it's the probably best-sounding analog recording I've ever heard.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I first heard Joe's Garage in college in my buddy's dorm room....we were not sober and he threw on the first CD (Act I - Act II) and by the time we got to "Crew Slut", my jaw was on the floor. I loved everything about it - the crazy lyrics/story, the immense musicianship, the insane guitar solos, the beautifully textures of multiple keyboards, and then Ike's voice was the icing that just knocked me out. What a phenomenal voice he has on that album. I think I bought my own CD copy a few weeks later. Later on, another buddy who loved this album could air guitar most of FZ's solo's on disc II almost verbatim - it was insane. It "helped" me understand what FZ was playing by watching my buddy's hands/fingers! I was then exposed to Apostrophe, Overnight Sensation, Roxy and Elsewhere, and a few of the YCDOSTA volumes. Changed my musical perception forever and started my magical FZ journey. Fun days. Ronmac - agreed the sonics and production are just off the charts. I know that Udi is a big fan too.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Plus it's the probably best-sounding analog recording I've ever heard.
    I believe it was recorded at Village Recorders in LA....Frank didn't have his UMRK studio yet if memory serves. This album has such a unique sound to it - nothing else in his catalog has the same sound aesthetic. Something like Orchestral Favorites and Studio Tan both sound as good imo, but they are yet very different from Joe's in color/texture.