Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: New Zappa Releases

re: Joe's Garage,

I think Keep It Greasy is the perfect metaphor for the music business. You sign a contract with a major label, you will almost certainly get plooked.

But for me, the best thing about Joe's Garage is Watermelon In Easter Hay. You want to hear Frank at his best as a guitarist, well, it's right there. I wish the Zappa Trust could put out a "radio edit" that doesn't have the Central Scrutinizer talking up the track, as it's kinda weird to play on radio, ya know, you got this long spoken word thing, and then the track begins, and he's still talking, etc. They should do a version with the Central Scrutinizer thing mixed out, and maybe edited slightly so that you only hear the vamp a couple times before the head begins.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I believe it was recorded at Village Recorders in LA....Frank didn't have his UMRK studio yet if memory serves.
    Correct, he built UMRK in 1980 and You Are What You Is was the first album he recorded there.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I listened to Over-Nite Sensation from the new set the other day (which I think is a remix or remaster from 2012? I'm not sure), but it was on cheap Blu-Tooth headphones with a lot of ambient noise. Nevertheless, it sounded very good to me, and also I think a bit different from what I'm used to, which is the Ryko release and whatever Spotify serves up, I forget what it says the label is on Spotify. Could be the original release. Since the Ryko release is the one Frank monkeyed with and I don't know anything about the release in the new box, can someone just give me some idea of the differences between the two releases of the album itself?

And, is the album also being released as a single CD? Although, who am I kidding, I want that box.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I listened to Over-Nite Sensation from the new set the other day (which I think is a remix or remaster from 2012? I'm not sure), but it was on cheap Blu-Tooth headphones with a lot of ambient noise. Nevertheless, it sounded very good to me, and also I think a bit different from what I'm used to, which is the Ryko release and whatever Spotify serves up, I forget what it says the label is on Spotify. Could be the original release. Since the Ryko release is the one Frank monkeyed with and I don't know anything about the release in the new box, can someone just give me some idea of the differences between the two releases of the album itself?

And, is the album also being released as a single CD? Although, who am I kidding, I want that box.
    Joe Travers says in the notes the main album is the 2012 remaster, and it's not been remixed.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    re: Joe's Garage,

I think Keep It Greasy is the perfect metaphor for the music business. You sign a contract with a major label, you will almost certainly get plooked.

But for me, the best thing about Joe's Garage is Watermelon In Easter Hay. You want to hear Frank at his best as a guitarist, well, it's right there. I wish the Zappa Trust could put out a "radio edit" that doesn't have the Central Scrutinizer talking up the track, as it's kinda weird to play on radio, ya know, you got this long spoken word thing, and then the track begins, and he's still talking, etc. They should do a version with the Central Scrutinizer thing mixed out, and maybe edited slightly so that you only hear the vamp a couple times before the head begins.
    Nice idea, I think the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    Joe Travers says in the notes the main album is the 2012 remaster, and it's not been remixed.
    Thanks! Judging from this, I'm really ok with the Ryko disk, which has some added reverb which I wouldn't even notice. Darn, I wanted it to tell me the Ryko version was horrible, so I'd have no choice but to buy the box set. Well, I'm not a Zappa completist, so I think I can resist.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Since the Ryko release is the one Frank monkeyed with and I don't know anything about the release in the new box, can someone just give me some idea of the differences between the two releases of the album itself?
    The Ryko CDs of Apostrophe were folddowns from the quad mix, rather than the stereo mix. Same might have happened with Overnite.

Apostrophe has some distinct differences in the quad while in Overnite it is not as easy to notice.

Sorry, I forgot to include the link to the source I was referencing:

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/pati...sensation.html

Anybody hit Halloween 81? This is probably my most played album of the past few weeks. These shows must have been insane. I've always loved the '82 band (YCDTOSA vol. 5, disc 2) in Europe summer....they had perfected that music even above this level, which is so crazy. RDNZL and Moggio from Switzerland/Italy are 80's FZ masterpieces for me, as good as it gets along with 88 band. What's crazy is that Ike isn't here! Ray and Bobby handle lead vocals.

Anybody hit Halloween 81?
    I really haven't spent that much time with the whole set but I've kept a CD-R of disc 6 in the car which I enjoy quite a bit. Some of the other performances sound a bit tentative, like they were just trying to get comfortable with some new compositions at the time.

I've always loved the '82 band (...) in Europe summer....
    There are rumors of an upcoming London '82 release.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I really haven't spent that much time with the whole set but I've kept a CD-R of disc 6 in the car which I enjoy quite a bit. Some of the other performances sound a bit tentative, like they were just trying to get comfortable with some new compositions at the time.
    You should dig into the whole thing, maybe one complete show at a time. I looooooooove the You Are What You Is material, but I am admittedly a huge fan of that album. Stuff like Goblin Girl sounds amazing on this! The technical stuff like Envelopes/Drowning Witch/Baltimore/Moggio etc suites also slays me. Like I said, by Europe 82 this band was as tight as the 74 band was in Helsinki (imo),and if Europe 82 was a 10, this is like a 9 for me. Mudd Club on this is also freakin fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    There are rumors of an upcoming London '82 release.
    Oh boy!!! Please......