Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Zappa Releases

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The only song I've listened to so far (on Spotify!) is Camarillo Brillo from the first night, and it seems a little fast, like either the tape is sped up a bit or Frank just wants to rush it and get it the hell out of the way. The track list for these shows seems to have a bit of a "greatest hits" quality, so maybe Frank was sort of on auto-pilot (for him)?
    He started doing that in the late '70s and continued through the mid '80s, where his shows contained a lot of new, often unreleased material but also very perfunctory run-thrus of the "hits." The Hammersmith and Buffalo sets released a few years ago are much the same way.

It's almost audible how he was becoming disenchanted with touring by the late '70s, even though his bands were incredible and his guitar playing was the best it ever got. I get the sense that the guitar playing and the audience interaction bits were the only parts he still really enjoyed by '77. The rest was just "optional entertainment."

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Gotta be honest, and this might be weird coming from me, but I have almost little-to-nil desire to hear this new one. I dunno, maybe I'm kind of burned out on these tunes, and the repetition of the "same" show 6 times (or whatever) seems a bit overkill, even for a FZ fanatic. I'd much rather spin some other FZ that I am less familiar with (like Dance Me This), or the new Schnellertollermier to be perfectly honest. I Hope I don't get my FZ membership card revoked, but I'm just not feeling it. If there is one single aspect that would interest me on this, its FZ's solos.
    Agreed! Enough of the complete shows warts and all overkill. There is some amazing instrumental ensemble stuff on YouTube that I'd like to see compiled and released for the fans that want to own this stuff in a high quality release. Pieces like Mo's Vacation with Arthur & Ed's great playing, or the 1970 Paris performances with JLP. More dynamic instrumental material and less rock star hysteria. As Warren C says in the Baby Snakes movie, "there are actual notes involved here."

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    He started doing that in the late '70s and continued through the mid '80s, where his shows contained a lot of new, often unreleased material but also very perfunctory run-thrus of the "hits." The Hammersmith and Buffalo sets released a few years ago are much the same way.
    I enjoy the fast versions myself, but I guess I am in a minority.

Well, Hans Dulfer released his music on thumb-drive in 2006.

The main thing to get excited about with these shows is Wild Love which goes off on an extended solos extravaganza. But not sure if that’s worth hearing 6 versions of Tryin to Grow a Chin etc

I have show 6 on the way on CD and then may download show 5 as it’s pretty different to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    The main thing to get excited about with these shows is Wild Love which goes off on an extended solos extravaganza. But not sure if that’s worth hearing 6 versions of Tryin to Grow a Chin etc
    OK, this is SO spot-on. Just listened to "Wild Love" from the first show, and it is spectacularly and stunningly fan-flippin-tastic with a pink sweet liquid topping, colored sprinkles, and burnt pumpkin seeds dipped in melted butter. Wow. If there were any doubts that Tommy Mars wasn't a virtuoso deity, then this utterly dispels that myth. I was reminded of that Snarky Puppy keyboard solo live in the Dutch studio (or wherever) that everybody loves so much, except Mars was doing this stuff nearly 40 years earlier. This is a truly magnificent 24-minute prawg "epic", and should be heard by all (most?). So I will retract my earlier statement about having no interest in this - because now I am interested in hearing "Wild Love"! Thanks for the heads-up, Mr Trooper Sound Trooper for Sound Trooper (what's 'yer real name?). "Envelopes" is pretty cool too with the vocals. But yeah, I am pretty burnt out on many of those other tunes. I do love the Baby Snakes film, though, and always will.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

chester.jpg

Thought I would share this picture with you guys - this is my pal James Guarneri (Frogg Cafe drummer) chatting with Mr Chester Thompson on a bus yesterday in Chicago!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

The main thing to get excited about with these shows is Wild Love which goes off on an extended solos extravaganza.
    I'd also suggest listening to Conehead (it became a dull novelty song when FZ added words later, but was a guitar instrumental on this tour).

OK, this is SO spot-on. Just listened to "Wild Love" from the first show, and it is spectacularly and stunningly fan-flippin-tastic with a pink sweet liquid topping, colored sprinkles, and burnt pumpkin seeds dipped in melted butter. Wow. If there were any doubts that Tommy Mars wasn't a virtuoso deity, then this utterly dispels that myth. I was reminded of that Snarky Puppy keyboard solo live in the Dutch studio (or wherever) that everybody loves so much, except Mars was doing this stuff nearly 40 years earlier. This is a truly magnificent 24-minute prawg "epic", and should be heard by all (most?). So I will retract my earlier statement about having no interest in this - because now I am interested in hearing "Wild Love"! Thanks for the heads-up, Mr Trooper Sound Trooper for Sound Trooper (what's 'yer real name?). "Envelopes" is pretty cool too with the vocals. But yeah, I am pretty burnt out on many of those other tunes. I do love the Baby Snakes film, though, and always will.
    Yeah, they are great...and a real shame that Frank ditched Wild Love after early '78 I think that first show Wild Love improv is where FZ edited the Trance Fusion track Bowling on Charen from. You'll go nuts if they do a full release of '78 Halloween...basically Tommy, Peter, Shankar and FZ soloing like crazy all 6 shows. And no Estrada

And it's Matt by the way

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I'd also suggest listening to Conehead (it became a dull novelty song when FZ added words later, but was a guitar instrumental on this tour).
    Trying to resist listening on Spotify until the CD arrives...but yeah, that's VERY cool. It was always gutting when Frank actually introduces Conehead in the film then cuts away after a brief few moments of the intro.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Isn't it just a completely different piece of music with the same title? It doesn't sound at all like an instrumental version of the YAWYI song to me.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Yeah, they are great...and a real shame that Frank ditched Wild Love after early '78 I think that first show Wild Love improv is where FZ edited the Trance Fusion track Bowling on Charen from. You'll go nuts if they do a full release of '78 Halloween...basically Tommy, Peter, Shankar and FZ soloing like crazy all 6 shows. And no Estrada

And it's Matt by the way
    Matt.....yes I knew that! Thanks again for the heads up. I wonder if that 78 version is on YT? Shankar....he is phenomenal on "Thirteen"…..one two one two three one, two, three, four

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Isn't it just a completely different piece of music with the same title? It doesn't sound at all like an instrumental version of the YAWYI song to me.
    The bass riff basically corresponds to the melody of "she ain't really dumb"...and that's about it. The rest is just an excuse for a longer than usual mid set guitar feature.

Matt.....yes I knew that! Thanks again for the heads up. I wonder if that 78 version is on YT? Shankar....he is phenomenal on "Thirteen"…..one two one two three one, two, three, four
    They pop up from time to time...this is show #4 which starts getting good from about 40 mins in with Pound for a Brown.

And excuse the godawful bootleg cover they have there!

The bass riff basically corresponds to the melody of "she ain't really dumb"...and that's about it. The rest is just an excuse for a longer than usual mid set guitar feature.
    A few years back a tape surfaced from a show a few days before the Halloween 77 run where FZ sings an early draft of the lyrics to that bass melody.

And still no sign of the Ritz 81 show. My apologies for continuously harping about that one, but I really want a pristine version of the Envelopes/Drowning Witch/What's New In Baltimore/Moggio suite. I still say that would have made a perfect LP side. That should have been side one of Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch.

I went for the 3CD Halloween 77 version. It rules! I played Torture Never Stops for one of my main musical collaborator pals and his eyes got HUGE on the solo section. Got another live one.

I'm hoping next year will see the release of the full Halloween 1978 run.

Trivia question: What is the house music heard after "Black Napkins" on the Halloween show?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Lucky Man
    chester.jpg

Thought I would share this picture with you guys - this is my pal James Guarneri (Frogg Cafe drummer) chatting with Mr Chester Thompson on a bus yesterday in Chicago!
    I love this. With much and great love. Thx for sharing with us...!

One Frank to another.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

At first I thought - another 77... but holy smokes - I have been put in my place with just show 1 on the 28th! Yes... the context of those wonderful portions like 'Bowling' are holy crap hot as hell. So good. Nice mix this time too - I can HEAR FRANK.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    listening to this now (in spurts)...shame this whole thing wasn't released on CD. Not my favorite era admittedly, but boy, when they are hot they burn.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Just got done listening to the 3cd set...probably my favourite vault release so far. The big surprise for me was actually how much of this show WASN'T in Baby Snakes. A few days ago I downloaded show 5 (£12.99 for over 3 hours is pretty great value I would say) and tons of that is from the film. The Torture guitar solo is awesome in both. Conehead is very cool and Wild Love is insane...especially on the 31st.

Matt.

Just got done listening to the 3cd set...probably my favourite vault release so far. The big surprise for me was actually how much of this show WASN'T in Baby Snakes. A few days ago I downloaded show 5 (£12.99 for over 3 hours is pretty great value I would say) and tons of that is from the film. The Torture guitar solo is awesome in both. Conehead is very cool and Wild Love is insane...especially on the 31st.

Matt.
    Hey Matt - do an A/B of the 10/31 "Black Page" and the Baby Snakes version. Wow, SO different, yet the same recording! I prefer the new Halloween version by far now. Much cleaner, clearer sonics, and the keys are mixed/overdubbed quite differently. Very interesting.