Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Instrumental Progressive Funk (like The Meters or Crusaders)

lots of great stuff being mentioned in this thread
    thank you all for your suggestions!

I absolutely love Flying Island. I've had their 2 albums forever... but they are definitely not a progressive Funk band
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Hi L,

I think you'd be a great candidate for Afroskull, who have two full albums of this kind of thing, if you're not already familiar with them of course

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

I absolutely love Flying Island. I've had their 2 albums forever... but they are definitely not a progressive Funk band
    You didn't comment on the band I mentioned(the Funky Knuckles)so I assume you didn't check them out yet.

heh... guess it's my bad that so many people are recommending Jazz Rock albums. I shoulda been more clear that I was looking for "progressive" type stuff but not full-on Prog Jazz/Rock stuff.
    When you suggested The Meters and The Crusaders in the thread title, you sent contradictory and confusing messages. How about these three that you & I have traded in the past?

I think you might like some Donald Byrd and the Blackbyrds, some has vocals but mostly good vibes.

Again, not entirely instrumental, but mostly. Roy Ayers and Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    some has vocals but mostly good vibes.
    Well if you want good vibes:
    https://youtu.be/0ZQZrRa8ar4

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Hi L,

I think you'd be a great candidate for Afroskull, who have two full albums of this kind of thing, if you're not already familiar with them of course
    oh yeah... I have em both. They kick major booty! hope they are still kickin and have another album in the works

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    You didn't comment on the band I mentioned(the Funky Knuckles)so I assume you didn't check them out yet.
    the Knuckles are great. I have one album by them. I don't suppose thay have any more than that debut since they are so new???

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    I think you might like some Donald Byrd and the Blackbyrds, some has vocals but mostly good vibes.
    yeah, I've had all the Blackbyrds albums forever... in fact, that "new discovery for me", the Olympic Runners sound a lot like the Blackbyrds

I've got to post some stuff from ICE for all you guys who are fans of this kind of music. They were quite diverse and I'm not sure if they are well represented on Youtube, so I'll post some stuff...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

here are a few tunes from ICE under their various monikers and collaborations

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/qorelo600wfn6/ICE_(incl._The_Lafayette_Afro_Rock_Band_and_other_ alias')

Just in case it goes to PM land (I'll catch up later)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Okay - then check this out:

Little Brian
    Breakestra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Okay - then check this out:
    yep... Jonas is great! I have all of his albums (over 20 albums)
    got any bands in this style that are *not* Jazz Rock?

anyone check out those tunes from ICE that I posted?
    The first tune is King Crimson style Symph Rock, recorded in 1970
    Too bad they never did any more tunes in that aggressive Symph style

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    thank you!

even though those guys don't exactly fit the thread since they have vocals in most of their music, they are quite the excellent Funk band! I'm glad I was directed to them

I'll second Afroskull:

and add the Budos Band:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I need to listen to some of this stuff in the future.

I don't know if it fits the bill here...but I've recently been listening to some John G. Perry, Rupert Hine, and Quantum Jump, and there is some very funky stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Little Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love this band. I only know of the release "Thrash Funk" (2007) which I added to Discogs in the last month, so it's definitely still an unknown. The title describes their music quite well. Like a thrash horn rock blend. I want to hear more bands like that! I'm guessing the thrash metal component takes it out of the context of this thread, but I'm glad to see them mentioned in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    I love this band. I only know of the release "Thrash Funk" (2007) which I added to Discogs in the last month, so it's definitely still an unknown. The title describes their music quite well. Like a thrash horn rock blend. I want to hear more bands like that! I'm guessing the thrash metal component takes it out of the context of this thread, but I'm glad to see them mentioned in any case.
    Funk Metal is cool... every time I think of Funk Metal, I think of the late 80s Infectious Grooves. Also, if you like crunchy Funk there's the 90s band Liquid Hips. But both of those bands have vocalists... so if Little Brian is instrumental, all the better!

Funk Metal is cool... every time I think of Funk Metal, I think of the late 80s Infectious Grooves. Also, if you like crunchy Funk there's the 90s band Liquid Hips. But both of those bands have vocalists... so if Little Brian is instrumental, all the better!
    Well, it is instrumental so we're covered there (as memory serves I should add). But I wouldn't characterize it as Funk Metal either, as I understand the term. For me at least, that would be like an instrumental Primus or Faith No More for example. Little Brian is thrash metal - with a horn section. As far as I know, they are the only band to have done that as its raison d'etre. I'd like to know about more bands in the space if they exist.

Anyway - give them a shot L. It's definitely different!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    That is awesome!

Machine Gun: The Fillmore East First Show just arrived in the mail yesterday. I can't help but wonder about the direction Hendrix was going at the time of his death. The funk was in him.

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Banned
    After awesome funky Hendrix, only a vid of some Yugo-prog guitarist would be not to much awful to be posted... Dinamit (instrumental, 1975) by Josip Boček (ex-Korni Grupa)

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'll second Afroskull:

and add the Budos Band:

Yves, in one post you've managed to feature the two best example this thread is all about...

Both tracks (albums) are amazing ... Are their other albums as good as the ones you mentionned??

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

These guys are wild too... same question about the rest of their stuff.
    Last edited by Trane; 10-22-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour had a few albums that were like that. Larry was the guitarist for the Crusaders.