Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd: The Early Years 1965-1972 Box

I think this also came up in The Later Years thread, but there has been an acknowledged issue with some of the blu ray discs in the big Early Years set. Looks like the label has acknowledged this and is preparing to make replacement discs for those affected:

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest...programme.html

I checked mine last night and one of my blu rays IS showing some discoloration/bubbling along one of the edges, so I'm definitely in for a replacement. Might wait another month or so first, just to see if any of the others start to show signs.

Hope this helps!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Just visually checked all of mine....all are fine. the e-mail said some might not play so now that i have a Bluray player....I have to sit down and play all of them before the end of the year.....deadline for replacement disks is January 1, 2020.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

can any of you please tell
    whats in the box that doesn't appear in the individual releases
    How much are the individuals cheaper then the box?

PULSE has been restored, so you may have the DVD version, but this is the first time on Blu Ray, so uncompressed audio.
    Delicate Sound of Thunder has also been remixed and, again, is on blu ray for the first time, so again, uncompressed audio.
    Knebworth has been remixed, ditto blu ray.
    There are a bunch of previously unreleased outtakes from the Division Bell 1994 sessions
    I believe Venice has never before been released.
    The MLOR is a new mix with new instrumental elements.
    The CD with some live tracks from 1987 and 1994 is also new, AFAIK.

AFAIK, really, the only duplication is the 2014 remix of Division Bell. That's been released before. Also, while not including the bonus material (sides 5 & 6), there's a film featuring the Endless River, sides 1-4. So that's kinda duplication.

So the majority of the box set is, if you consider first time in uncompressed audio and in high def on Blu Ray to be new, there's very little in this box that has previously been released in this form.

Am I missing something?
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Ah...you mean the Early Years box?

The only thing not available separately is the Volume 7: 1967–1972: Continu/ation set, with one cd and two DVDs/two Blu Rays. I believe buying the rest of the stuff is cheaper individually rather than the big box...though I don't know if any of this is OOP.
    John Kelman

Udi, these small boxsets are a no brainer, despite whatever little extras (an extra disc and reproduced memorabilia) that are not available in that smaller format (it's discussed in the preceding pages)...
    I've no idea if the price for the big stuff was lowered or not, but the all of individual small boxsets together came up cheaper (1/2 price) than the big sucker, even if including the small preview double disc preview called 67/72 Cre.ation .

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Ah...you mean the Early Years box?

The only thing not available separately is the Volume 7: 1967–1972: Continu/ation set, with one cd and two DVDs/two Blu Rays. I believe buying the rest of the stuff is cheaper individually rather than the big box...though I don't know if any of this is OOP.
    Euh, yeah, this is the dedicated thread for the early years after all
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

FWIW:

Aside from big form factor with a bunch of memorabilia (which IMHO is just noise in a package like this, much like marbles and coasters in the Immersion boxes), the Continu/ation set had exactly one track that I thought was worth it: Echoes from '75 which technically isn't really even applicable within the set (it just means that between the Immersion sets and this, I now have an "official" release of the full '75 Wembly show). The balance of the pieces are interesting but in poor audio form. The blu rays include a few complete films (Obscured by Clouds, More, The Committee) which are interesting but have no subtitles which makes viewing a bit abstracted.

The other minor perk was that in the original box, they accidentally put a CD edition of Live @ Pompeii remastered instead of the remastered Obscured by Clouds (IMHO that isn't really what most of us would call an "error," lol). I'm not sure that was included later on in the individual boxes.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I bought the six boxes over the last two years, most of them as a bargain at my retailer. I started watching last week the first one Cambridge Station and I was quite positively surprised by the quality of the audio and video files especially the two German TV psychedelic mini features.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

^^ the main six boxes are a veritable cornucopia of treats. And yeah, the quality of some of the films and music is remarkable given the age (the video for Scarecrow is incredibly sharp and clear...looks like it could've been filmed in the last few years).

It's just the bonus box that IMHO is a mixed bag, save for the Echoes '75.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    The other minor perk was that in the original box, they accidentally put a CD edition of Live @ Pompeii remastered instead of the remastered Obscured by Clouds (IMHO that isn't really what most of us would call an "error," lol). I'm not sure that was included later on in the individual boxes.
    wasn't there another sort of 'easter egg' that got included by "accident"... like a 5.1 Meddle remaster?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Yes... but I am not sure if that only happened in the big box or also is present on the individual box.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    FWIW:

Aside from big form factor with a bunch of memorabilia (which IMHO is just noise in a package like this, much like marbles and coasters in the Immersion boxes), the Continu/ation set had exactly one track that I thought was worth it: Echoes from '75 which technically isn't really even applicable within the set (it just means that between the Immersion sets and this, I now have an "official" release of the full '75 Wembly show). The balance of the pieces are interesting but in poor audio form. The blu rays include a few complete films (Obscured by Clouds, More, The Committee) which are interesting but have no subtitles which makes viewing a bit abstracted.

The CD of Pompeii is included in the minibox set for that year.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Was it? Very cool then

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Euh, yeah, this is the dedicated thread for the early years after all
    Argh. This just goes to show how your eyes see one thing and your brain another . I’ve been so immersed in the Gentle Giant and Floyd boxes for several weeks now that whenever I see “Pink Floyd” and “Years” in the title, my brain says “Later Years” irrespective of what’s actually there.

I need a break
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    If it helps you make a decision on which ones to purchase, I wrote up a rediculously long walk-through/review of the whole box, broken out by each of the seven "sub-sets":

http://eichler.byethost11.com/Music/...arlyYears.html
    that was well written and invaluable to me as I had not yet ventured into purchasing this set. I see a couple of the 'big box' packs for under $600 but I think I'll just get a few of the individual boxes

thanks for taking the time to write that!
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 11-19-2019 at 12:17 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

friends
    which is the cheapest online store to buy the individuals ?
    what size are these individual boxes

I think I'm gonna get Deviation and Reverberation after reading that detailed breakdown a few times

Amazon may be the best bet

friends
    which is the cheapest online store to buy the individuals ?
    what size are these individual boxes
    they're the size of those progbook hatr Wilson did for Jethro Tull (basically the size of a blueray or DVD, but thibker because of the nulmber of disc includedbetween 3 and 6)

Personally, I got a lot of mileage out of the DVDs' video contents. But for example, you'd better get ready to have six or 8 version of Let There Be More Light versions in the same 1968 boxset.

I personally bought 6 of them from a super)deal of a brick&mortar megastore, because they were doing a three for the price of two, so they came up for <30€ each.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I see the separate volumes have a audio cd edition and a DVD which is double the price ...

I see the separate volumes have a audio cd edition and a DVD which is double the price ...
    I see those "DVD audio" editions listed on Amazon from a non-Amazon seller, and I don't think there is any difference from the cheaper versions sold by Amazon itself. All have CD, DVD and Blu-Ray discs, the DVD and Blu-Ray content being the same. At least on the copies I have, the video discs are Region 0, so I expect they are the same worldwide.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I don't think this is the case.

Speaking personally I would have welcomed separate releases of just the CDs. Some of these have only one audio disc after all. And based on the hour-long preview the BBC did when this came out, I'm not sure I'd even want some of that TV footage!

That was funny...personally if I'd bought the box an audio release of Pompeii (as overdubbed as it is) had more appeal than a remix of OBC.

I have read that the DVD/Blu-ray version of Pompeii in this box is inferior to the one already available. Something to do with the aspect ratio being tampered with?

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...#post-22471753

sorry for insisting but since I have very little space in my room can anyone measure the size of these individual editions height
    do I understand correctly- the individual editions contain video footage ?

They are 14.3cm wide, 19.4cm high and 2.5cm deep.

sorry for insisting but since I have very little space in my room can anyone measure the size of these individual editions height
    do I understand correctly- the individual editions contain video footage ?
    Yes.
    John Kelman