Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 243

Thread: Pink Floyd: The Early Years 1965-1972 Box

  1. #51
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,489
    The strangest thing about "Seabirds"--the actual song--is where I first learned of its existence: in this very cheesy looking songbook which somehow included the mysterious unreleased song:


  2. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,840
    I think it would be hard to find a drawing that looked less like Rick Wright than that. Goodness me.

  3. #53
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,652
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think it would be hard to find a drawing that looked less like Rick Wright than that. Goodness me.
    LOL - I thought it was one of the Allman Brothers. You're right, that bears zero resemblance to Rick - I think the artist just painted a random longhair.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    LOL - I thought it was one of the Allman Brothers. You're right, that bears zero resemblance to Rick - I think the artist just painted a random longhair.



    Frey, Allman, Garcia and Waters

  5. #55
    And here's who I first thought of:

    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  6. #56
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,489
    I thought the 'stache was more Gary Brooker. Wrong color no matter who.


  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    So there's been some word from PF on Facebook regarding Seabirds:

    "There's been some discussion over the Seabirds track on The Early Years box set, from reviewers who have an early version of the collection. When the More movie soundtrack work was completed, the tapes of the tracks to be used went to the film company, so the high quality full vocal version of Seabirds is now sadly lost. On the box set are tracks not used in the film, and therefore kept in the archives. One of those tracks - an instrumental also called Seabirds - is included on the set and has never been heard before."

    I'm disappointed that this wasn't THE Seabirds I've always wondered about, but if this is on the level then that's okay too. I don't dislike the instrumental that is actually on there.

    So far, no issues with the Blu Rays either...fingers crossed!!
    I don't buy that, especially since this piece that is supposedly titled Seabirds in the box sounds suspiciously similar to Quicksilver...
    I think it just got pulled out in the last minute by Roger Waters for some unknown reason, as was the case with Meddle and OBC surround mixes.


    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think it would be hard to find a drawing that looked less like Rick Wright than that. Goodness me.
    Oh and Mason is OK in that pic?

  8. #58
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,387
    Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Oh and Mason is OK in that pic?
    at least it bears a modicum of resemblance

    Rick looks like he was replaced by Robert Redford!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  9. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    94
    I have a copy of that Songbook - it always amazed me that someone was able to put together full lyrics, melody and chords for a song that wasn't available commercially.
    The Songbook (which dates from 1976) also contains transcriptions for Embryo and Point Me at the Sky - which were not really that widely available either!
    The transcription work is credited to someone called Ziggy Ludvigsen.....no me neither!!!

    The existence of a Meddle 5.1 mix is very interesting - is this provided as an Easter Egg with the link either too difficult to find or possibly missing in error?

  10. #60
    Not being able to afford the full box I picked up the double CD, and think it's well worth getting for the unreleased tracks. I am disappointed they didn't put Vegetable Man on here though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #61
    Just spent an hour with the BBC Beginnings 67-72 and saw loads that I hadn't before. Suffice to say, I really would love the complete box set now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #62
    I got the Pink Floyd Early Years box for Christmas. Had the entire week between Xmas and New Year's off work, so I spent a LOT of time watching and listening to it, and I still have a couple CDs and Blu-Rays to go. So far I'm really, really enjoying it, despite the fact that I had probably heard at least half of it before on bootlegs and the equalization on a lot of the tracks emphasizes the high end a bit too much (am I the only one that thinks the remastered "Obscured by Clouds" sounds like a tinny mess?)

    How's this for sad fanboyism - after spending $500 on the box, I read online about the "hidden" 5.1 mix of Meddle on the one Blu-ray disc and went out and spent another $115 on a Blu-ray drive for my computer, then spent two days figuring out how to extract that 5.1 Meddle and burn it to a disc I could listen to.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

  13. #63
    Why on Earth would they make a 5.1 version of Meddle and then hide it on a disc making hard for people to find, or even to know about? Especially after dishing out $500!!

    I never liked the idea of Easter Eggs on DVDs, always thought it was one of those "just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it" type of things. Fun for some fans I guess, but they always annoyed me. I thought it was passé these days to do such things....

  14. #64
    I don't think the Meddle 5.1 was intended as an Easter Egg...I think it was an authoring "error" in that it was something that wasn't supposed to be included but ended up buried in the master.

    Based on the stuff I've read, it wasn't something you could access even with a secret code or anything...you had to rip the disc into a computer and locate the files manually.

    I too really love the box...my only complaint is the audio on the remastered Pompeii is a little weird to my ears. In particular, the organ on 'Set the Controls' seems to distort outright in places.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  15. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,840
    Don't have the box but I get the impression that it was initially advertised as part of the set, then pulled...and yet it came out anyway accidentally, albeit in hidden form.

    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I never liked the idea of Easter Eggs on DVDs, always thought it was one of those "just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it" type of things. Fun for some fans I guess, but they always annoyed me. I thought it was passé these days to do such things....
    A whole other topic, but the best example I know of is the Best Of Bowie DVD- some real gems were easter eggs on that set!

  16. #66
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    3,572
    Well, I got the Cre/ation double disc affair, and TBH, Im rather happy with what's on it...
    Ienjoyed hearing the different versions of Embryo and Axe, and yet another version of Cymbaline

    It was also nice to hear that some of Echoes already existed back in July 70 (via the Embryo BBC take with the seagulls effects)

    TBH, I felt less interested with the three last track of disc 2 (some of which clearly comes from Obscured By Clouds - and even Floyd sounding like Slade on Free Four).



    Can't wait for the band to reissue other discs from the boxset.
    Last edited by Trane; 01-05-2017 at 06:11 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  17. #67
    IMHO one of the most interesting/enjoyable bits for me has been the live cuts of Atom Heart Mother with just the band. I'd never really appreciated this song before but it works better for me with just the 4 piece.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  18. #68
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,652
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I don't think the Meddle 5.1 was intended as an Easter Egg...I think it was an authoring "error" in that it was something that wasn't supposed to be included but ended up buried in the master.

    Based on the stuff I've read, it wasn't something you could access even with a secret code or anything...you had to rip the disc into a computer and locate the files manually.

    I too really love the box...my only complaint is the audio on the remastered Pompeii is a little weird to my ears. In particular, the organ on 'Set the Controls' seems to distort outright in places.
    I think it WAS supposed to be included, but they screwed up. There was another screwup, wasn't there? Forget what

  19. #69
    I read an article somewhere that indicated that certain things were initially announced, but then pulled because there wasn't enough time for all members to review/approve the material & mixes (I *think* if memory serves, the one that didn't get a chance to review was Waters).

    The other "screwup" was the song Seabirds which was assumed by fans to be the lost tune. However, it appears that the masters for that song were lost and this was simply an instrumental of the same name. Probably not as well handled (how could they NOT think fans would expect *the* song, rather than some random instrumental).

    Some folks have reported problems playing some of the Blu Ray discs as well, but all of mine work without issue so that may just be specific player compatibility issues. Oh, and the movies on the final bonus disc ("More" and "La Vallee") don't have subtitles in some places, but frankly I didn't have any trouble following along (let's be real...not exactly epic dialog happening).

    On the whole...these are IMHO minor quibbles in the context of the full content of the box.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Why on Earth would they make a 5.1 version of Meddle and then hide it on a disc making hard for people to find, or even to know about? Especially after dishing out $500!!

    I never liked the idea of Easter Eggs on DVDs, always thought it was one of those "just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it" type of things. Fun for some fans I guess, but they always annoyed me. I thought it was passé these days to do such things....
    Others have already answered this, but the story I read online was that it was originally supposed to be included but then they couldn't get approval from Waters so the technical people who authored the disc were told to take it off. They removed it from the menu but forgot to remove the actual files off the disc.

    Don't know how much truth there is to that, but that's what I read.

    The other big screw-up of the set was that it was supposed to include the remastered "Obscured by Clouds", but somehow the "soundtrack to Pompeii" was put in its place. They fixed that one by including "Obscured" as a stand-alone disc that was thrown in (literally - when I opened the packaging it was just sitting on top of the box in a paper slip case).
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    IMHO one of the most interesting/enjoyable bits for me has been the live cuts of Atom Heart Mother with just the band. I'd never really appreciated this song before but it works better for me with just the 4 piece.
    I had the same reaction when I first heard the band-only version on a bootleg. I've never been much of a fan of the album version with the orchestra and choir, but it works for me as a rock-band-only piece. Nice to have a couple versions of that on the box.

    Kind of odd though that with all the live performances they did of that song with a brass section and choir, there's not one decent video of it in the boxed set.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I too really love the box...my only complaint is the audio on the remastered Pompeii is a little weird to my ears. In particular, the organ on 'Set the Controls' seems to distort outright in places.
    Yeah, I noticed that crackling noise on "Set the Controls" too. Listening to the CD version, I couldn't tell where it was coming from, but in the 5.1 mix on the DVD/Blu-ray it's coming from the same speaker as the keyboards, so I think you're right about it being the organ.

    I'm really annoyed that they used that crappy "Director's Cut" of "Pompeii", removed the interview and in-the-studio stuff and inexplicably dropped the song "Mademoiselle Nobs". Seems like every time that movie is released, they find some way to make it worse.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

  23. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    I had the same reaction when I first heard the band-only version on a bootleg. I've never been much of a fan of the album version with the orchestra and choir, but it works for me as a rock-band-only piece. Nice to have a couple versions of that on the box.

    Kind of odd though that with all the live performances they did of that song with a brass section and choir, there's not one decent video of it in the boxed set.
    It would be nice, yeah. But, it's kind of amazing that some of this exists at all, much less in pretty remarkably good condition.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  24. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that crackling noise on "Set the Controls" too. Listening to the CD version, I couldn't tell where it was coming from, but in the 5.1 mix on the DVD/Blu-ray it's coming from the same speaker as the keyboards, so I think you're right about it being the organ.

    I'm really annoyed that they used that crappy "Director's Cut" of "Pompeii", removed the interview and in-the-studio stuff and inexplicably dropped the song "Mademoiselle Nobs". Seems like every time that movie is released, they find some way to make it worse.
    I was kind of excited to finally have a nice pretty CD of Pompeii, but the harshness of the sound just doesn't work for me. Which sucks, but given that I wasn't expecting it at all, I'm somewhat forgiving.

    Weird that they dropped Mademoiselle Nobs, yeah. And put an alternate Careful with that Axe instead.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  25. #75
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well, I got the Cre/ation double disc affair, and TBH, Im rather happy with what's on it...
    Ienjoyed hearing the different versions of Embryo and Axe, and yet another version of Cymbaline

    It was also nice to hear that some of Echoes already existed back in July 70 (via the Embryo BBC take)

    TBH, I felt less interested with the three last track of disc 2 (some of which clearly comes from Obscured By Clouds - and even Floyd sounding like Slade on Free Four.



    Can't wait for the band to reissue other discs from the boxset.
    Same here, I like the 2 disc, I'll see how much I need the other discs as they come out and buy accordingly
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •