Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd: The Early Years 1965-1972 Box

Just got notice that FedEx delivered my box @ home a short while ago (and a few days earlier than originally estimated). This afternoon is going to draaaaaaaaaag on....
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    you'll be able to get the ones edited from Waters' presence , since you hate him so much
    you misunderstand my opinion of Waters.
    He is a very good lyricist.
    His lyrics on DSOTM and WYWH are my favorite lyrics of all Prog bands who sing!
    It's his narcissism that bothers me... and his lyric writing had a huge dropoff in quality after WYWH. The Wall was good but he ruined Animals. After The Wall he just whines and moans on every album of his.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    you misunderstand my opinion of Waters.
    He is a very good lyricist.
    His lyrics on DSOTM and WYWH are my favorite lyrics of all Prog bands who sing!
    It's his narcissism that bothers me... and his lyric writing had a huge dropoff in quality after WYWH. The Wall was good but he ruined Animals. After The Wall he just whines and moans on every album of his.

My feelings exactly. I would add his singing leaves a lot to be desired.

Holy mother...this thing is HUGE. Only just started listening/watching but the quality seems really excellent. Some of the early vids are remarkably clean.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just read about how they accidentally mixed up the Pompeii and Obscured by Clouds CDs.

It's confusing, so I'll let Wikipedia explain it:

"The Pompeii CD was accidentally included in the 1972bfusc/ation set instead of the 2016 mix of the Obscured by Clouds album. Therefore the 2016 Obscured by Clouds CD was included separately in a white slipcase on the front of which is written "Obscured by Clouds 2016 remix" and on the reverse: "Replacement CD disc for Obfusc/ation [...] (Stereo 2016 mix of Pink Floyd 'Live at Pompeii' CD supplied in error)".

Eddie Jobson would have pulled the whole damn thing! He wouldn't stand for that.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-12-2016 at 01:04 PM.

I ordered it last night. I know it's crazy expensive, and I've already got probably around three quarters of the audio content on various bootlegs, but this is exactly the sort of stuff I've been complaining about the band "sitting on" and not releasing for years now, so I had to go for it. The tipping point was when my wife agreed to fund half of it with Christmas money, with the agreement that I won't open it until Xmas.

I ended up buying it throgh DeepDiscount.com. Their base price was around $30 cheaper than Amazon, and they're currently having a "winter sale" where you can get 10% off anything over $50 if you enter the promo code found on their front page during checkout. That brought the price down to a little under $500, including shipping.

Really looking forward to digging into this thing. I just have to figure out some way to convince the wife to let me open it early. Let's see...I have to at least check it to make sure all the discs are there in case it would need to be returned, right? And if one of them just happened to slip into the blu-ray player while she was at work....
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    I ordered it last night. I know it's crazy expensive, and I've already got probably around three quarters of the audio content on various bootlegs, but this is exactly the sort of stuff I've been complaining about the band "sitting on" and not releasing for years now, so I had to go for it. The tipping point was when my wife agreed to fund half of it with Christmas money, with the agreement that I won't open it until Xmas.

I ended up buying it throgh DeepDiscount.com. Their base price was around $30 cheaper than Amazon, and they're currently having a "winter sale" where you can get 10% off anything over $50 if you enter the promo code found on their front page during checkout. That brought the price down to a little under $500, including shipping.

Really looking forward to digging into this thing. I just have to figure out some way to convince the wife to let me open it early. Let's see...I have to at least check it to make sure all the discs are there in case it would need to be returned, right? And if one of them just happened to slip into the blu-ray player while she was at work....
    I watched an unboxing video, and not only is the whole box shrinkwrapped, each individual volume is shrinkwrapped too. Be careful!

My box is arriving tomorrow. Can't wait to get it but on the other hand, it sounds like a bit of a clusterfuck from what I've seen on the Steve Hoffman forum as well as Yeeshkul. Apparently there is a 5.1 mix of the Meddle album that was included on one of the blu-rays by mistake and is only accessible by ripping the disc to your hard drive and then extracting it from a program called MakeMKV. Or something like that.

Is there both a UK and a Japanese edition?

AFAIK there is just one version.

Being of limited budget I opted for the Cre/ation two-disc sampler, and spent the weekend giving it a thorough going over.

Do you really need to go the whole hog on the box set, or does the sampler hit enough sweet spots?

You can read my thoughts here:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....ars-1967-1972/

It's a nice review, Valen...well done

So far I've not found any issues with the box, missing discs, Blu Rays or otherwise. I've not made it through all the Blu Ray discs though so I suppose something could still be waiting. All the CDs are correct. Not sure I'll ever look at the DVDs though so even if there IS an issue, I'd not know

I'm finding the box has been worth the $$ for me personally. Like you, I've not really gone too deeply into the PF well of unofficial stuff, save for an odd YT video and the like. So as much as all the music is amazing, the videos are remarkable. Some of the oldest material looks nearly high def in quality. Some of the news clips from their ballet are cool too.

As for the music...there's enough variety and interest in the bits (like all the John Latham soundtrack stuff, or the different cuts of AHM and Echoes) to give me little thrills.

That said...the box is really big, bigger than it would need to be save for the memorabilia in the bottom (and the replica 45's which look cool but will almost certainly never be played). And some of the box "wallets" are a little flimsy, with the plastic bits already coming a little loose from the box itself. I would have preferred sleeves similar to how the deluxe 'Is There Anyone Out There?' stored the discs. It would also mean the boxes could've been slimmer. But that's so far really the only beef I have, is the bulk of the physical thing itself.

Oh yeah...with 'On the Beechwoods' I also got an early Genesis vibe, probably from the guitars a bit. That was kind of neat
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is there both a UK and a Japanese edition?
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    AFAIK there is just one version.
    Watch the first few minutes of this bizarrely silent unboxing video - the booklet is in Japanese:

Unless I'm missing something...that booklet is OUTSIDE the actual box. I had no booklet like that included with mine. So, there might be a supplemental booklet for the Japanese market but based on the rest of the video it's all the same box (in English throughout).

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It's a nice review, Valen...well done
    Thanks for that - there'll probably be a lot of comments on the box set, but I thought a brief insight into the sampler may help the casual fan to decide whether or not to dip their toe in the water.

You're spot on about the quality of the audio and video given the age. I saw some of the video on the BBC and was amazed at what they've kept squirreled away in their vaults until now.

As far as I understand it, the bluray glitches are on the 72 disc and the continuation bonus disc - some people report that the discs won't load up. there's also been some sort of cock-up with a quad mix of Meddle hidden on one of the blus/dvds, that can only be accessed via desktop software. given the scale of this project, I guess it was inevitable something would go wrong. But at least the packaging of discs appears to be an improvement on the Immersion sets.

CDs all seem to be fine.

Personally I think there's probably too much of a good thing in the box for me to shell out such a lot of money - I doubt how much it would get repeat listening past the obligatory first run through. I think I'll wait until the individual volumes go up for sale, and even then might try for selective purchases if the band allow downloads.

But it's certainly reinvigorated my interest in the band's music, having neglected them for a long time because of over familiarity with the post-72 material.

At that price point for box, I can't blame ANYONE for not wanting to dive in. Especially with separate volumes coming next year. I'm a completist with a bit o' disposable income so I'm down with it. Although given the size of the box it's less a coffee table book than the coffee table itself!!

My Continu/Ation Blu Ray worked fine...and I *think* I watched the 1972 disc as well. I'll check it again tonight. If there's issues, I'm sure Burning Shed will help me get things sorted out in due time. They're pretty awesome that way

I am eagerly anticipating my box, however at this price and with the golden standard set by the Floyds up till now,
    I am very surprised at the amount of f@#$-ups in this boxet-
    First they put Pompeii stereo CD instead of the OBC 2016 remix (at least that was fixed, and to the benefit of us)
    Then they accidentaly put Meddle 5.1 on the BD without the option of getting to it via any menu (again, this is for our benefit as it wasnt supposed to be out at all)
    Then they replaced Seabirds with Quicqsilver alternate take (which is a real bummer, I was really hoping to hear this song)
    Then they had some errors regarding the sources of some of the tracks,
    And lastly they put out BBC sessions in worse quality from what was already available in bootlegs (71-72, if I understand correctly)

I am still psyched about this box, just extremely surprised from this un-floyd-like behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Then they accidentaly put Meddle 5.1 on the BD without the option of getting to it via any menu (again, this is for our benefit as it wasnt supposed to be out at all)
    How do you know it's there? Just wondering.

All the reproduced memorabilia packed in there with each volume looks pretty cool (from the brief glimpses in the unboxing videos).
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-15-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    How do you know it's there? Just wondering.
    I don't: just read about it in Yeeshkul, don't have the box myself yet.

Roscoe59 wrote there:

"Last night I put the 1971 Blu-ray in the drive, fired up MakeMKV to suck the bits off of it, then went to bed.

Got up this morning to check out the MKV files that were created and found that one of them is the 5.1 mix of "Meddle".

It's not reachable from the menu (well, at least not obviously) BUT IT'S ON THE DISC!

I haven't played the whole thing yet, just scanned bits and pieces of the MKV to make sure I was really hearing 5.1 and I'm pretty sure I am. But I would absolutely welcome a sanity check from anyone else.
    "

It was later confirmed by others and backed by screenshots of the channels.

Then they replaced Seabirds with Quicqsilver alternate take (which is a real bummer, I was really hoping to hear this song)
    You can find that cut on the 9th disc from Tree Full of Secrets..

Surprised to see the two-disc Cre/Ation in our local Tesco in among the Williams, Buble and Murs shite. £11, which seems comparable with on-line prices, so I took the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    You can find that cut on the 9th disc from Tree Full of Secrets..
    Complete version, or taken from the movie with voices over it?

Complete version, or taken from the movie with voices over it?
    It'sbeen a while since I listened to this so I honestly don't remember.. here is what the notes from the CD say..

14 - Seabirds (Waters) 03:50

Recorded : London, Sound Techniques Studios, March 1969

Primary source : "More" film, released 1969

Source for the tree : "More" video

This song doesn't appear on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    It'sbeen a while since I listened to this so I honestly don't remember.. here is what the notes from the CD say..

14 - Seabirds (Waters) 03:50

Recorded : London, Sound Techniques Studios, March 1969

Primary source : "More" film, released 1969

Source for the tree : "More" video

This song doesn't appear on the album.
    Ok, its the soundtrack version, mostly snippets with movie chatter above it, not a real song.

So there's been some word from PF on Facebook regarding Seabirds:

"There's been some discussion over the Seabirds track on The Early Years box set, from reviewers who have an early version of the collection. When the More movie soundtrack work was completed, the tapes of the tracks to be used went to the film company, so the high quality full vocal version of Seabirds is now sadly lost. On the box set are tracks not used in the film, and therefore kept in the archives. One of those tracks - an instrumental also called Seabirds - is included on the set and has never been heard before."

I'm disappointed that this wasn't THE Seabirds I've always wondered about, but if this is on the level then that's okay too. I don't dislike the instrumental that is actually on there.

So far, no issues with the Blu Rays either...fingers crossed!!