Thread: Magma UK Shows Sept 2016

Magma UK Shows Sept 2016

Just wondered if anyone had caught either of the two Magma shows in the UK this week, or is planning to go to any of the remaining ones. I haven't managed to find any reviews so far. I'm going to the third Cafe Oto show, next Tuesday.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Has the guitarist recovered? He walked off stage halfway through their RIO gig last weekend. I'm assuming it was short term and gigs have gone ahead without a hitch. They were very good at RIO despite the missing guitarist.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Steve Davis and I are DJing at the Cafe Oto gigs. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Fantastic news!

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    How interesting!

The American readers of this site wouldn't have the foggiest what that reply was about

I'm going on Tuesday. Might possibly have a spare ticket if anyone interested. My wife's too pregnant to go and I haven't yet lined up another victim.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Has the guitarist recovered? He walked off stage halfway through their RIO gig last weekend. I'm assuming it was short term and gigs have gone ahead without a hitch. They were very good at RIO despite the missing guitarist.
    To be fair, he only missed the last 5 minutes or so of "MDK", I think, plus the encore. That's still over an hour of stage presence.
    He seemed to have largely recovered when I saw him about 15 minutes after show's end. He seemed very embarrassed by the whole thing. Apparently this was the first time anything like that had occurred. Stella told him he didn't drink enough water, or water with enough magnesium in it, or whatever.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Saw the Edinburgh concert last Wednesday at the Assembly Hall (brilliantly appropriate venue btw). First time I've seen them and predictably they were absolutely fantastic. Set list was Theusz Hamtaahk and Mekanïk Destruktïẁ Kommandöh with Zombies as the encore. Last time they were in scotland was over 40 years ago, but they promised to return sooner next time!
    Attached Images Attached Images

So is it Jim Grandcamp on guitar? Went to see them last night at Cafe OTO and thought the guitarist didn't quite look like Grandcamp based on the couple of videos I saw of him before.

They were awesome by the way (obviously). Great to hear Theusz Hamtaahk live, amazingly powerful as expected and of course MDK is always mindblowing.

Does anyone know if they're doing the same set the other two nights in London?

Rudy Blas is on guitar. Grandcamp had to leave for other commitments, after stepping in to help out when James Mac Gaw became ill. From what I hear, Rudy developed acute tendinitis in his hand, and if you watch him during Theusz Hamtaahk on the night he had to bail, it is easy to see why.

PS. I'm American, but I get the importance of Steve Davis and Kavus stepping in. :-) Steve became a fan same time as I did, which was way long ago. :-) Only he got to put on shows with them back in the day. Or show, at least.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Thanks for the info. Thought the guitarist did a great job, if he struggled I didn't notice to be honest.
    I only realized a few days ago that they no longer have Ternoy or Ruder on keyboards so feels like there have been a lot of changes recently. Doesn't seem to affect the quality of their performance much though...

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    Does anyone know if they're doing the same set the other two nights in London?
    I don't know but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Theusz Hamtaahk as it's one of my favourites and I've never heard it live before. Having said that, I've only seen Magma twice before so really I'll be happy with anything.

Having said that, I've only seen Magma twice before so really I'll be happy with anything.
    Barbican in 2009 and Cadogan Hall last year right? I was the same but now I've seen them for a third time last night I'm getting greedy

Barbican in 2009 and Cadogan Hall last year right? I was the same but now I've seen them for a third time last night I'm getting greedy
    You are right about Cadogan Hall. I had been aware of the Barbican show but I had only just started listening to Magma and, with family commitments and all that, I didn't take the plunge. After that I became a huge fan and was kicking myself for not making the effort. I thought I had missed what might have been my last chance to see them so, when the Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré shows at Le Triton were announced in 2014, I threw caution to the wind and made a pilgrimage there. Ironically I read about the Cadogan Hall gig the day after I got back!

Theusz should be on the set list, and in person it is incredible- and it seems to be over in 5 minutes instead of the 36+ it takes! The unison guitar and bass work out 20 or so minutes till boggles the mind!

Here, from last week:
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Well, I've enjoyed these last two nights immensely but I still wish whoever put these gigs on had picked a venue with a stage. I think there are other "intimate" venues in London that have got a stage.

And hoping they at least change the encore for tonight. Kobaia would be nice.

And hoping they at least change the encore for tonight. Kobaia would be nice.
    Well your wish came true, and what a rendition it was!

Indeed. Had almost resigned myself to getting Zombies again (not that that would have been so bad). It's funny, they did it at the Barbican in 2009 but didn't notice then how different that song feels from the rest of their set, even if they don't play it exactly like the original on the first album.
    I thought Aknin's vocal paled in comparison to Klaus Blasquiz on this one but otherwise yeah, fantastic performance.

Let's hope it wasn't the last time in London for Magma!