Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monty Python's Terry Jones diagnosed with dementia

Monty Python's Terry Jones diagnosed with dementia

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37451043

Sad to hear this. It's a severe form called primary progressive aphasia, which affects his ability to communicate. I always loved what he contributed to MPFC. A very intelligent and funny man. It's at least a small comfort to hear that he's being honored for his achievements and that he'll be present for the ceremony.

I lost an aunt back in 2010 to dementia. I don't wish to see anyone go through this. Good luck in your fight, Mr. Jones.

Well, that sucks. He was arguably the hardest-working of the bunch. He accomplished a lot and should be proud of his legacy.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    It's tough to hear of such a fine mind dimming.

Again: good luck in your fight Mr. Jones!
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I would just echo the positive sentiments already offered. So many good laughs.

All my heroes are getting old. Thank god I haven't aged a day.

Blah, that sucks. All those guys are so bright, this just seems extra sad.

Bill

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Very sad - he's done so many great skits and characters - so many laughs from him.

Mr Creosote!

MPFC was central to my childhood thanks to my Dad.

Mr Creosote??? Oh no! He was always one of my favorites - (trying to think of any of them I didnt love...) Time for MP movie marathon in tribute.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that. Best of luck in your battle with dementia, Mr. Jones. I just remembered my friend and I racing home from a nighttime college course in the 1970s, so that we wouldn't miss a minute of Monty Python on TV.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Depressing news.

"Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    Depressing news.

I think they did this sketch a couple of times but with different people.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Pooey.

Pooey pooey pooey pooey.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

He has also done great work on historical documentaries. People should be more aware of that. I wish I was able to see some of them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Sad news indeed! A brilliant comedic mind and a great intellect (being a documentary writer/presenter among other things as ronmac indicated) as well as the author of many classic MPFC sketches from Spanish Inquisitions to Mr. Neutron.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    He has also done great work on historical documentaries. People should be more aware of that. I wish I was able to see some of them.
    My mother was a Chaucer fanatic who bought all his Chaucer-related books. A true intellect.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

In a sad bit of irony... this is basically what aphasia is. I know, because my mother had it, and I constantly thought of this skit while I was caring for her. They just must not have known it existed back then.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    In a sad bit of irony... this is basically what aphasia is. I know, because my mother had it, and I constantly thought of this skit while I was caring for her. They just must not have known it existed back then.

Wow, sadly ironic alright. My mom had rapidly progressing dementia the year before she passed and my mother-in-law has been suffering from pretty advanced Lewy Body for a few years, seeing the mind deteriorate is a very sad thing.

On a side note, in the mid 90's i had an original band called Mr Creosote, we even started our performances with the "oh shit, it's Mr Creosote!" audio.
    We didn't get too far with that one and changed it to Soylent Green and did much better.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I've seen his Barbarians and perhaps one other, but Barbarians is the one I remember. It was good, a bit campy at times, but I thought it did a good job of going beyond the typical "Barbarian" stereotypes in a fun and entertaining way. Netflix has Medieval Lives available and lists two others that are due for release (Hidden Histories and Ancient Inventions). I've added them to my queue.

Bill

Terribly sad news - my father-in-law had dementia and we lived with it for abut 15 years - it takes an incredible toll on the care-givers as well as the individual suffering.
    I saw a documentary a few years ago about the background to the Monty Python reunion concert to pay off legal fees. Even then it was obvious Terry was not well - a few times he seemed to just zone out and even said that he was having trouble remembering lines and such. At the time I looked at my wife and asked her if she recognised those signs from somewhere - unfortunately it was all too obvious that he was declining mentally.
    I wish his family and friends much strength and urge them to create a support network. They are going to need it.

I'm so sad to read this. All of MP are my heroes since childhood. I am one of those annoying people who not only recite Python sketches, but tell you when you get them wrong. Grew up listening to their records, watching Flying Circus episodes, and just generally loving them. Terry Jones is a brilliantly funny and intelligent man, and a talented comedy writer. The stuff he wrote with Michael Palin is legendary. I wish him well.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Sad to hear. That's a hard road for everyone involved.

It's tough to pick a favorite Python, but he is definitely one of the 5 greatest players who wasn't mostly an animator.
    'Erik The Viking' is an all-time favorite movie of mine. Time to watch it again and enjoy his work.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Sad to hear. That's a hard road for everyone involved.

It's tough to pick a favorite Python, but he is definitely one of the 5 greatest players who wasn't mostly an animator.
    'Erik The Viking' is an all-time favorite movie of mine. Time to watch it again and enjoy his work.
    I never realized (or forgot) that Terry Jones wrote and directed Erik the Viking. My wife and I watched that on our first or second date, when it was newly on VHS.

When I think of his voice, I think of the Crunchy Frog skit!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I never realized (or forgot) that Terry Jones wrote and directed Erik the Viking. My wife and I watched that on our first or second date, when it was newly on VHS.
    My sister worked at a video store at the time that movie came out in theaters. I worked in a movie theater and watched it umpteen times before it left. When it was later released on VHS, it was not sold anywhere I could find here in the US, at least not easily for a 16-year-old before the interwebz, although she had it to rent in her store. She said she would order it through her store from the UK for me. I had no idea the formats were different (PAL there, NTSC here), so when my tape arrived, all I got was snow. It was tragic. I ended up putting duct tape over the copy protection hole and copying the version from her store onto my not-very-cheap-to-order VHS tape. I still have that tape, just because.

When I think of his voice, I think of the Crunchy Frog skit!
    I've got a few of the skit compilation CDs and Crunchy Frog is always worth hearing.

I can't help but laugh along with him whenever I see him crack up during the shambolic "Dead Bishop On The Landing" sketch towards the end of Live At The Hollywood Bowl.

I also think he really helped carry them in the fourth series of Flying Circus (sans Cleese), a series I actually love, although not every fan does. He always struck me as the hardest-working guy in the troupe (possibly Gilliam could compete in that category, but in a much different way.)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I also think he really helped carry them in the fourth series of Flying Circus (sans Cleese), a series I actually love
    Same here. "Any-THING goes in, any-THING goes out..."