Thread: Donati Lang/Paice Palmer

The Enemy God

Donati Lang/Paice Palmer

I'd be interested to hear from any drummers on these names. Lang and Donati are stunning technicians, both can groove yet I suspect have relatively little legacy/fame as such. Quite the opposite Palmer and Paice - huge "name" drummers with enormous legacy and back catalogues. Is this as a result of the changing scene - last name drummer Chad Smith/Mike Portnoy? i.e big for being in a band.

How would people rate Paice /Palmer against the newer breed.

Paice is an interesting drummer, and great for what he does. Lots of snare work. Palmer is a very good technician and influential, but his time isn't very steady. Same for Stewart Copland.

Against the newer breed? Virgil Donati I really like. I've heard him in a couple of different situations, and he does the job well. Lang, I've not heard much in a musical situation - more of a clinic situation, which of course he's very accomplished at. But it would be hard for me to judge his musicality.

I'm one of the few here who really like Portnoy's drumming. Yes, he was over-the-top in DT, but that is the way that band operates. In other situations he fits the music well, and his time sense is very good.

There's quite a few jazz drummers that have technique equaling or exceeding these prog/rock drummers. However, many of those would have a difficult time rocking out; it's not their way (I've experienced that personally). But some, like Dennis Chambers, Steve Smith, etc., seem to fit any situation they walk into.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.