Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carl Palmers ELP Legacy

I *think* the first song ELP ever played together was 21st Century Schizoid Man, which was dropped fairly quickly in the rehearsal process (it showed up later, of course, on the Manticore box set in a horrible studio version).
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    I *think* the first song ELP ever played together was 21st Century Schizoid Man.

I think that's unlikely. Probably, the first music they played was an ad-lib jam or a blues shuffle.

As for the first song/piece, I don't think it would be 21CSM as Emerson didn't know it. More likely they would have done something from the Nice like "Rondo" or America, or just any rock standard of the '60s (that they would all know from their time in club bands).

And, on a side note, what's the deal with "Nutrocker'? They must have rehearsed it together; it isn't something that you would play off the cuff.
    However, at their first gig, they needed something for the encore. Emerson wanted to do it, but Lake didn't, saying that it was "old rock".
    That pissed off Emerson and cursed out Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post

I think that's unlikely. Probably, the first music they played was an ad-lib jam or a blues shuffle.

As for the first song/piece, I don't think it would be 21CSM as Emerson didn't know it. More likely they would have done something from the Nice like "Rondo" or America, or just any rock standard of the '60s (that they would all know from their time in club bands).

And, on a side note, what's the deal with "Nutrocker'? They must have rehearsed it together; it isn't something that you would play off the cuff.
    However, at their first gig, they needed something for the encore. Emerson wanted to do it, but Lake didn't, saying that it was "old rock".
    That pissed off Emerson and cursed out Lake.

Would Lake have known "Rondo" or "America" if Emerson didn't know "21CSM"?
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    I *think* the first song ELP ever played together was 21st Century Schizoid Man, which was dropped fairly quickly in the rehearsal process (it showed up later, of course, on the Manticore box set in a horrible studio version).
    Correct

According to Carl on Mondy night

In Emerson's autobiography, he says that when they auditioned Palmer they played Freddie King's "Hideaway".

Also from Emerson's book:

When E&L were still looking for a drummer Emo went to a classical concert and heard PaaE. The next day he bought the sheet music and started learning "Promenade". He went to Lake's house and player it on his piano. Lake brought out his acoustic guitar and, together, they worked on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Would Lake have known "Rondo" or "America" if Emerson didn't know "21CSM"?
    Lake had seen the Nice perform when KC opened for them. "Rondo" has a very simple bass line and "America" is only slightly harder.
    Plus, "America" is from a very popular musical and film from that era.

Also from Emerson's book:

When E&L were still looking for a drummer Emo went to a classical concert and heard PaaE. The next day he bought the sheet music and started learning "Promenade". He went to Lake's house and player it on his piano. Lake brought out his acoustic guitar and, together, they worked on it.
    Thanks! I read Emerson's book but didn't remember that.
    Lake had seen the Nice perform when KC opened for them. "Rondo" has a very simple bass line and "America" is only slightly harder.
    Plus, "America" is from a very popular musical and film from that era.
    That's true. It does make sense.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Prog Lives View Post
    It was fantastic.

Intimate venue perfect acoustics. I was 6 feet from the drum set up in the center. My god Carl HASNT lost a step he's nailing everything with the vigor of a 20 year old. He did a finesse thing during his solo with stick tricks that impressed the hell out of me - laying a stick across a tom and snare and without holding it used the other stick to play the loose stick for a few bars. Very humble and humerous and remorseful about the loss of Keith. The perfect tone. He played his heart out two hours, which would have required an ambulance for me. I kept watching him hold the sticks with the single hand drum roll thinking it would be funny to ask him if he needed a fork at a Chinese resteraunt (a compliment about his stick mastery)

Some of the attangements were unique and fabulous (take a pebble piano and vocals on stick). Some required an open mind not to long for a keyboard (the solos on old castle and fanfare) but even these were really well done and it's hard not to be impressed at the talent. Guitarist and bassist handled their parts quite well though I do think they'd benefit from vocals (commentary on arrangement only not the obvious first rate chops of the players)

I was trying to be respectful and not record because it was obvious they were doing pro shot video audio recording but Carl said to the audience we should record and post something. I'll figure how to upload paae to YouTube this weekend and post it here in case anyone is interested

Carl had a full house and people were buying the merch (I didn't realize Carl had painting made by stick LED). The sold out at the price but it included dinner and a one-on-one. It was weird 50 people in the audience walking around without shoes (house rule)
    Glad you had a great time. Our gig was great. I was happy that the set was a bit different than from what we're used to having. We were at a table nearly 20 feet away from the stage. (Farther back than usual but it was still great.) What I didn't know was that Carl said Keith was supposed to join him for this tour and the set was one that they had both agreed on so there was some cool surprises (like "Schizoid") in the set that weren't normally played. I can't even imagine what that would have been like in a smaller venue.

We had a blast! That band continues to amaze me. I already lobbied for them to come back during the meet and greet. I can't wait to see that video when it's done.

Live Buenos Aires, Argentina March 3, 2017

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Mark Stein of the Vanilla Fudge sat in with CARL PALMER's ELP legacy, Saturday, June 3-

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Mark Stein of the Vanilla Fudge sat in with CARL PALMER's ELP legacy, Saturday, June 3-
    A valiant effort on Stein's part (probably wanted a whole lot more rehearsal and it looks like he was having sound problems.) But I'm sure afterwards he was going "Holy shit, Carl. You guys used to do that every frigging NIGHT?!"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for posting.