Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Shadowfax - Watercourse Way

FEATURED CD: Shadowfax - Watercourse Way

Nice little album for a band that's tagged primarily as "new age" music.

Review from Coolalbumreview.com
    Today’s Cool Album of the Day (#596 in the Series) is Shadowfax, Watercourse Way

When you look at a listing of the best bands Chicagoland has produced it better have Shadowfax included, if it doesn’t find a new list. Are you familiar with Shadowfax? If not, let me go back a ways.

The origins of this eventual Grammy-winning band begin in the early 70s in south-suburban Crete, Illinois. That’s where the band lived in a farmhouse popularly known as “The Triple B Ranch.” It was there that these five young men crafted a sound that really could not be pigeonholed. It was jazz, it was rock, it was spacey. It was acoustic, it was plugged in. It was good.

It was so good that within a couple years Passport Records agreed to release their debut album. Instead of weekly appearances at long-gone clubs like Luigi’s in Chicago Heights or Just Angels in Harvey, Shadowfax found themselves in a recording studio in West Orange, New Jersey laying down the tracks for what would be known as Watercourse Way.

At this point, Shadowfax consisted of Chuck Greenberg (lyricon), Phil Maggini (bass guitar), Doug Maluchnik (keyboards), Stuart Nevitt (drums) and Greg “G.E.” Stinson (guitars). I use the instruments associated to each name loosely, quite loosely as each member played a heck of a lot more than this, but you get the idea, see the credits below for their more detailed responsibilities.

Watercourse Way was produced by Marty Scott and Larry Fast of “Synergy” fame. You also may remember Larry from his days as touring as a member of Peter Gabriel’s band.

Once the long record sessions were done and the guys headed back to Chicago what were we left with? What was this Watercourse Way?

Watercourse Way had some songs that were much more aggressive than what people eventually come to be known as “New Age.” Years later Shadowfax would be thrown into the “New Age” genre, but I considered this music far from that label. Yes, some songs did have an acoustic light jazz free-form to them, but many of the songs were closer to a harder jazz-fusion sound than anything else. But I hate doing this, I hate trying to pigeonhole a band that is impossible to pigeonhole. Their music was “Shadowfax” music, and like many bands it changed as they changed throughout the years. I’d often read that Shadowfax’ signature sound was Chuck Greenberg’s lyricon. Yes, this was true, especially in the Windham Hill days which would come later. Here, G.E.’s lead electric guitar also paved the way. But what also made this band a true ensemble was the way that instruments that are traditionally considered foundation pieces, like bass and drums, often became lead instruments when played by Phil’s fingers or Stuart’s sticks. A perfect example of this is the way they the two worked around G.E.’s lead in Doug Maluchnik’s “Book of Hours.” Yeah, and just when you think you have that one figured out, Doug takes over with a beautiful piano piece along with some sitars and tablas.

L-R Maggini, Maluchnik , Nevitt, Greenberg, Stinson

I held off writing this piece for so long because I knew it would be nearly impossible to describe the music that these gentlemen produced, but I guess saying that could only be described as a compliment, at least to this writer it is. Their music also depends on the mood of the listener, I can listen to certain songs two or three times and get completely different meanings out of them on each listen. My favorite track on the album, and my favorite Shadowfax song of all time, is the closing song entitled “A Song For My Brother.” To me this it always been the definitive Shadowfax song, but sometimes I can listen to it and it could take me on a journey to who knows where, while other times it could feel like the saddest song I’ve ever heard.

Watercourse Way was recorded in 75 and released in 76. It would be a hiatus, a new record label, six years, a reforming and move west before we would hear from Shadowfax again. After leaving Passport Records the band broke up until reforming with a new recording contract with Will Ackerman’s Windham Hill records. After three successful recordings for Windham Hill the label decided to rerelease this album in 1985, this time with Chuck Greenberg reproducing the remastered version. In 1988 the band would receive a Grammy award for “Best New Age Album” for their Folksongs For a Nuclear Village. They would be nominated again in 1992 for their album Esperanto.

In closing here’s a funny little story about this album. Stu Nevitt worked in a record store in Park Forest, Il shortly after the release. He’d be behind the counter watching shoppers browse. Whenever he saw a customer browse thru stuff like Genesis, Passport, Mahavishnu Orchestra the Flock etc, he’d run in back and toss on Watercourse Way. The customer would always ask “Wow, who’s this?” He said he sold a ton of records that way.

I recently mentioned to Phil Maggini that I was going to do a piece on this Watercourse Way. I asked him if he any any thoughts about this period of his and Shadowfax’ career. I thank him for sharing this with us: ”We were quite a different sounding band in those days. But we had our journey to make. From blues to prog-rock, to fusion and world music, to experimental, freer forms. It was all part of our process. What I find amazing about these early tracks is the energy level. All piss and vinegar, damn the torpedoes, and if we don’t stop we’ll get there. Now, with Chuck and Stu both gone, all this sometimes seems like a dream to me. But in fact,,.thats exactly what it was in the beginning. And I can speak for all the guys when I say thanks to all of you who helped our dream come true.” ~ P.Maggini

– Larry Carta

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

They came to Eureka/Arcata California during the 80's and I got to meet them in both places. In Arcata I hung out with them after the show. I got the entire band to sign the back of my WC lp which I treasure. G.E. Stinson even gave me a guitar lesson on how to play The Shape Of A Word on his Les Paul sans amp. Pretty cool experience.

Great album. I too love Song For My Brother (what a build-up), along with thethe faster tracks on the album. Even the singing wasn't too bad. Someone here on PE posted about a good quality boot from the Watercourse Way days. I'd be interested to hear that.

What are G. E. Stinson, P. Maggini and David Lewis up to these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Great album. I too love Song For My Brother (what a build-up), along with thethe faster tracks on the album. Even the singing wasn't too bad. Someone here on PE posted about a good quality boot from the Watercourse Way days. I'd be interested to hear that.

What are G. E. Stinson, P. Maggini and David Lewis up to these days?
    yeah, it does seem like a very good album. half-prog and half-RTF. I had never heard it before even though I was a fan of the Windham Hill-era Shadowfax in the 80s.

While it doesn't really qualify as "these days" anymore, about 10 years ago I walked in to the Rhino records store in Los Angeles and GE Stinson happened to be playing there with a noise rock kind of trio. I hung around for as much of the performance as my girlfriend would allow. He was very good but sounded *nothing* like Shadowfax!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I heard about this album, probably here at PE. Supposed to be Shadowfax's best work. It wasn't until I saw the album cover atop the PE page this morning that I realized I have never even seen the album before. The yewtewbs posted above are my first time hearing any of it, too. It's on my mental list of albums to buy if I ever find it. Listening now and it sounds great.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I remember listening to some on-line prog radio show on and off for about a week and it was a song from this album that they played more than once that moved me to buy this. I can't remember the song but it was mellow. Anyway it turned out to be an excellent purchase and there's some firery guitar at times too and a Fusion nod at times too.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Like this one a lot, and I like the first Windham Hill release, too....

I found this update on David Lewis

David is currently recording with Lou Rawls Jr. and playing out with an African Group named Longombas, who has success in Europe and Africa.

Very good jazzy prog. Really like this one.

This one was also released on Windham (in the 80ties I think), but this release has a different (boring) cover and is rerecorded (at least some parts of it)

41kOy2jXflL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is an underrated killer of an album.

I bought it when it was first released. The 1985 reissue (even though the mix was toned down a bit) on Windham Hill was probably a big shock to fans only familiar with their previous Windham Hill output. There is NOTHING New Age about 'Watercourse Way'.

I saw them at a jazz club in Venice California (called Hop Sings) back in about 1984 or 1985, after they had a couple of Windham Hill releases, and let me tell you, there was nothing New Agey abut their performance. Even the songs from their WH releases were played with the prog/fusion intensity of Watercourse Way.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

From what I understand of the band -- and from reading Joy Greenberg's memoir -- the band was none-too-happy about being pigeonholed as New Age. It was a convenient marketing strategy for a while but it came back to bite them.

I do not have the original Waterway Course, have the Windham Hill version. I tend to prefer Shadowdance to the Windham Hill version of Watercourse Way.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I saw them at a jazz club in Venice California (called Hop Sings) back in about 1984 or 1985, after they had a couple of Windham Hill releases, and let me tell you, there was nothing New Agey abut their performance. Even the songs from their WH releases were played with the prog/fusion intensity of Watercourse Way.
    I saw them a few times live and they were excellent. Still have an autographed set list from a show they did at Penns Landing.

GE Stinson plays free improvisation music these days. I know he's worked with the likes of Nels Cline in recent years. Actually, I have the impression that's actually the reason why he left Shadowfax, because he wanted to push further into that direction, while Chuck Greenberg (who as I understand it, was the ostensible leader of the group) wanted to go further into mainstream directions.

GE is also very present on Facebook. He posts on a pretty regular basis. Seems like a really nice guy. I do know apparently someone had broached the suggestion of a Shadowfax reunion, and he basically said "Two of the founding members are dead, so what would be the point?".

The lone Symph/Fusion album in their catalog and an excellent album at that!

Their other 'world music' albums after this are quite nice but nothing like this one
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I have both versions (original LP and Windham Hill CD), but I've never compared them to see how different they sound. Years ago, someone on here said that there was a huge difference, so I kept the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I have both versions (original LP and Windham Hill CD), but I've never compared them to see how different they sound. Years ago, someone on here said that there was a huge difference, so I kept the LP.
    BINGO! I once heard that the cd was so diluted and compressed that all the power of the album was completely removed,so I never bought it. When I get my digital turntable I plan on recording my lp to cdr. They also were not able to use the original cover for reasons I never did find out.

I've always loved this album and and the one from 1986 called "Too Far To Whisper"....
    www.canvasproductions.net

Great, great album by an underrated group. I have both the original and the Windham Hill issues on LP, and I can't tell a difference in the music. I have heard that it was remixed for Windham Hill, but never that it was rerecorded (as stated above by TheH).
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

Quote Originally Posted by Septober Energy View Post
    Great, great album by an underrated group. I have both the original and the Windham Hill issues on LP, and I can't tell a difference in the music. I have heard that it was remixed for Windham Hill, but never that it was rerecorded (as stated above by TheH).
    Rerecorded in parts. Most of it is just remixed. There a some extra percussion, a little bit more of guitar and most noticeable a sitar replacing the sax (at least on Song for my Brother).

Thanks for posting this! I'm going to have my husband hunt around for the album. I joined this forum to discover some new (for me) music and this is definitely an album to add to our collection.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I've been struggling to find copies of these albums otherwise I'd have bought many more as I like the band a lot.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I've been struggling to find copies of these albums otherwise I'd have bought many more as I like the band a lot.
    You should have a look at Amazon (Z-Shops). Normally there are always a lot of offers for both versions, although with
    very different prices ranging from very fair to totally over the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Rerecorded in parts. Most of it is just remixed. There a some extra percussion, a little bit more of guitar and most noticeable a sitar replacing the sax (at least on Song for my Brother).

Cool! I will have to do an A/B comparison when I get time.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    There are plenty on ebay.

One copy for as low as $6.50.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell