Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    You're workin' it, Greg! None of us will ever get back to the way we were in our 20s, but as long as you're dieting and exercising , you're ahead of 80% of Americans. (And 75% of Canadians )
    Thanks Duncan. One of my senior analysts at work is a huge into physical activity (rides his bike to work everyday, including the winter}. He advised me to just take small steps, 3 to 4 runs a week, at 5 minutes. I'm just beginning but do feel a sense of well being after a run. I'm confident that I'll keep this up and even excercise more, longer.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 01-18-2020 at 02:15 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Unless this raises your heart rate, you're wasting your time.
    An Asian doctor said once: "Walk no run, heart only have so many beats"
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Any physical activity will raise one's heart rate. Cardio is good, and so is resistance training.

Resistance training is the greatest thing one can do for their body. Elevated heart rate? Of course. It also strengthens and builds muscle and bone density, as well as increasing range of motion.
    Resistance training raises your metabolism, and for a much longer post exercise time period than cardio. As you gain muscle, you will burn more calories each day. You want to keep a continuous
    elevated heart rate? You can accomplish this by circuit training. I have no problem with cardio only exercise, as long as it is done in conjunction with a complete resistance program. Weight
    training will accomplish so much more than a cardio only plan can.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    An Asian doctor said once: "Walk no run, heart only have so many beats"
    Then I should be dead already

The so-called max heart rate is 220 minus your age. That's bogus, of course. My workouts take me at least 10 beats above that, at least once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Resistance training is the greatest thing one can do for their body. Elevated heart rate? Of course. It also strengthens and builds muscle and bone density, as well as increasing range of motion.
    Resistance training raises your metabolism, and for a much longer post exercise time period than cardio. As you gain muscle, you will burn more calories each day. You want to keep a continuous
    elevated heart rate? You can accomplish this by circuit training. I have no problem with cardio only exercise, as long as it is done in conjunction with a complete resistance program. Weight
    training will accomplish so much more than a cardio only plan can.
    Yep. To summarize in 1 word : "Balance"

When I see the world elite cyclists and runners looking like anorexic skeletons with almost zero muscle mass, I have to wonder how healthy they are.
    Regards,

Duncan

My workout this morning - on my bike, attached to a trainer:

KASS-3-3.jpg

KASS_3.jpg

KASS-3.JPG

KASS-3-4.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Duncan

If metabolic rate burns calories, and burnt calories mean more free radicals, why is burning more calories good?
    Art is parasitic on life, just as criticism is parasitic on art.
    Harry S Truman

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Burning calories, by itself, is not "good." Burning the same, or more calories than you take in, is good.

The benefit of exercise isn't just burning calories. It's strength conditioning and muscle tone and heart circulation and lung capacity. That's why, when I see overweight people like myself lifting weights "for exercise" I wonder who their health advisor is.

That's why, when I see overweight people like myself lifting weights "for exercise" I wonder who their health advisor is.
    Someone who knows what they are doing.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Overweight people can lift weights as long as they control their caloric intake. Keep it simple. Squats, deadlifts, light weights, repetitions, etc.

I mentioned planks earlier. Planks are hard. 30 seconds of planking and I'm trembling like crazy. Longest plank I've ever held was 90 seconds. I don't do them often because they are just so torturous but damn I feel great after. It's a great core excersize.

Today I did 4 sets of 25 squats without weights, just body weight. Then I had grilled salmon on a bed of spinach. And now I'm drinking lite beer......

All this reminds me of one of my favorite Bloom County strips:
    ELAE.jpg
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

...The benefit of exercise isn't just burning calories. It's strength conditioning and muscle tone and heart circulation and lung capacity...
    ^^This^^

Exercise keeps the entire metabolism healthy.

Strength exercises (weights, resistance, etc.) help in different ways to cardio. They're both good in different ways - hence the earlier comments about balance. I.e. unless you're training for something specific, try to get a mix of both - strength, and cardio exercises.

I'm training for 2 separate events in 2020, so I'll be tweaking the mix (balance) accordingly as winter wears on.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    All this reminds me of one of my favorite Bloom County strips:
    ELAE.jpg
    High Larious....

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    ... unless you're training for something specific,
    I figger my days of competition are LONG over. I'm just trying to stay alive now.

Hence, I do no strength training or endurance training. I just get the heart rate up for 1/2 hour every day.

Twice, if the wife's in the mood.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Man, age is definitely influencing my driving. Today, 25 centimentress of snow and the conditions on our Queensway (highway) were fucking unbelievable. I could barely see out the window let alone stay in my right lane. I drove at 30 versus 120 kilometres. At one time, I was swerving into the passing lane because it's a complete white out. Man, it's good to be home.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Burning calories, by itself, is not "good." Burning the same, or more calories than you take in, is good.

The benefit of exercise isn't just burning calories. It's strength conditioning and muscle tone and heart circulation and lung capacity. That's why, when I see overweight people like myself lifting weights "for exercise" I wonder who their health advisor is.
    My view is that there are two major aspects of health or non-health. Cancer and cardiovascular. Calorie burning is a contributor to cancer, but can be reducer of the impacts of sugar ingestion which turns the liver off from processing LDL cholesterol to HDL cholesterol, if the sugar is not metabolized. Sugar not metabolized is converted to fat by the liver because the liver is turned off from cholesterol conversion. So what about free radicals from metabolism, thatís where cannabinoids and other antioxidants when circulated efficiently by exercise and good blood flow benefit.
    Harry S Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    My view is that there are two major aspects of health or non-health. Cancer and cardiovascular. Calorie burning is a contributor to cancer, but can be reducer of the impacts of sugar ingestion which turns the liver off from processing LDL cholesterol to HDL cholesterol, if the sugar is not metabolized. Sugar not metabolized is converted to fat by the liver because the liver is turned off from cholesterol conversion. So what about free radicals from metabolism, that’s where cannabinoids and other antioxidants when circulated efficiently by exercise and good blood flow benefit.
    You're not by chance a doctor, are you?

You're not by chance a doctor, are you?
    No but I have tried to grasp Stephanie Seneff who is a multidisciplinary genius at MIT, and a PHD with multiple degrees.
    Harry S Truman

No but I have tried to grasp Stephanie Seneff who is a multidisciplinary genius at MIT, and a PHD with multiple degrees.
    Keep working on your reflexes and core strength. You may catch her yet!

No but I have tried to grasp Stephanie Seneff
    #metoo
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Man, age is definitely influencing my driving. Today, 25 centimentress of snow and the conditions on our Queensway (highway) were fucking unbelievable. I could barely see out the window let alone stay in my right lane. I drove at 30 versus 120 kilometres. At one time, I was swerving into the passing lane because it's a complete white out. Man, it's good to be home.
    I hate that shit. Driving on the freeways here in the dark in the rain the lines are hard to see.

Night driving is not a real problem yet, but I'm not as good at it as in younger days.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Night driving is not a real problem yet, but I'm not as good at it as in younger days.
    Night driving really isn't a problem unless I am tired and keep falling asleep. Sometimes those white lines seem to disappear in the rain at night.

That's why, when I see overweight people like myself lifting weights "for exercise" I wonder who their health advisor is.
    Overweight people have built in weight training, carrying around their extra weight.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Night driving really isn't a problem unless I am tired and keep falling asleep. Sometimes those white lines seem to disappear in the rain at night.
    I've always had and still have excellent night vision. The only reason I would use the lights on my car is so other drivers can see ME.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama