Page 7 of 239 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I hear ya - I left the UK to follow my wife home to NY - after spending 21 years at my previous company and changing jobs to a new company (earning a hell of a lot more mind you) I am now back to two weeks vacation a year. Thats ok when you are 21 and doing more on a weekend than an old fogey does in a month, but at my age two weeks vacation is vicious - so much so that I am thinking of packing it all in and moving to Chiang Mei in Thailand. My net worth here in the US would keep me for about 10 years - and I would probably have to do at least some part-time work - assuming I never get sick, in that case it could all go overnight. But in Thailand it would see me good for at least 30 years - and that would not require working.
    I agree vacation is priceless. I am very lucky and have worked for the same company for 30 years. I hit the max on vacation this year so get a lot of it. Our company used to let you “buy” up to a week of extra vacation (basically up to 5 days off without pay spread over the year). I did this every year, but when the current company took over they cut it out. Bottom line, you can never have enough of it.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 09-23-2016 at 06:54 PM.

Insurance companies work with statistics. It's unlikely (not impossible) to have a bout of shingles before the age of 60. Hence the restriction. Can it happen before 60? You bet, but without a predisposing condition that I mentioned earlier, it's very unlikely. Now, there's something called "dermatitis herpetiformis" that looks like shingles but isn't. It 's a painful rash, usually located on the extensor surface of the body. If occurs with celiac disease. The rash goes away when gluten is eliminated from the diet.

My deepest sympathies for your scalp shingles.

BTW: the chicken pox virus is a herpes virus. Therefore, the gift that can keep on giving...
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Insurance companies work with statistics. It's unlikely (not impossible) to have a bout of shingles before the age of 60. Hence the restriction. Can it happen before 60? You bet, but without a predisposing condition that I mentioned earlier, it's very unlikely. Now, there's something called "dermatitis herpetiformis" that looks like shingles but isn't. It 's a painful rash, usually located on the extensor surface of the body. If occurs with celiac disease. The rash goes away when gluten is eliminated from the diet.

My deepest sympathies for your scalp shingles.

BTW: the chicken pox virus is a herpes virus. Therefore, the gift that can keep on giving...
    If I remember right I was 50 when I got them. The year I turned 50 I had a bunch of weird health issues like that. Agree about the scalp shingles. Can’t imagine how uncomfortable that must have been.

The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

I never got chicken pox, mumps or measles. I don't know if they completely / definitely protects me from shingles. Wonder if my hemorrhoids had anything to do with being an alter boy @ Our Lady of the Suppurating Anus?
    The prepH wipes are a godsend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boceephus; 09-24-2016 at 11:23 PM.

^ If you never had those typically childhood illnesses/infections, stay away from anyone who is going through an acute infection. These are usually worse when you're an adult.

As for your hemorrhoids, you're on your own...

hemorrhoids? Use cortizone cream for the swelling, and some Nupercanal for any extreme itch/pain. Then go and pick up a box of baby wipes and use them after going to the bathroom instead of TP. Don't use TP again, it's an irritant.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

You know you've gotten old, for real, when all you do is sit around and talk about your and your peer group's various illnesses, ailments and injuries. When I was young I always noticed the elder folks doing it, and now that I'm getting up there myself I understand why they do it.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

You know yer old when yer balls are longer than yer.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    You know yer old when yer balls are longer than yer.....
    That's just a little more info about ya than we needed to know, Vic...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Burrrrrrrrp.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    hemorrhoids? Use cortizone cream for the swelling, and some Nupercanal for any extreme itch/pain. Then go and pick up a box of baby wipes and use them after going to the bathroom instead of TP. Don't use TP again, it's an irritant.
    Just put a wire brush into your battery drill.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

"Don't you know you would get better results with Anusol?"

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>

I don't really experience my own aging, but more my dad's aging. He will be turning 88 next month and though he is still in relatively good health, not withstanding he has suffered a few mild strokes, which didn't have any lasting influence and he is less able to do the things we did something like 13 years ago. We went on vacation to Cologne together then and walked quite a lot, which isn't really possible nowadays, though he still walks. He needs a walkingstick now and doesn't walk as fast, or as long.

The other day we got back from a seventy mile drive and I stopped at the post office before going home (small town - everything comes to the PO box). I get out of the car and was a little stiff, plus my bum ankle was bothering me a little. So I hobble into the place and I realize, "stop this - you walk like an old man. Walk like you're forty you lazy bitch." I straightened up, stopped favoring my sore muscles and just acted like they weren't a concern. And damn, I did feel like I did a few years ago, before I broke the ankle. New motto: walk like a young man.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    ^ If you never had those typically childhood illnesses/infections, stay away from anyone who is going through an acute infection. These are usually worse when you're an adult.

As for your hemorrhoids, you're on your own...
    Get vaccinated from them, if you haven't had them.

Banned

The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    "Don't you know you would get better results with Anusol?"

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    Get a rubber glove and some olive oil, coat middle finger and insert. Works like a charm. Or if inclined, coat his member, or her strap on, and go at it[emoji1]

Banned

RIP Arnold Palmer.

Tangential advancing years issue and question......

I have spent recent months sorting through the accumulated possessions, ephemera and general junk that my parents had amassed in their almost 90 years on this planet. They never moved home in the last 50+, and so everything was retained in an ever shrinking space. Apart from being a sad and emotion filled task, it is a total pain in the arse, because everything needs to be looked at, every letter read (and there are a lot), everything considered. This has set me thinking about my own possessions and passing this problem onto my kids in decades (hopefully) to come.

Like all of us here, I have a music collection that has grown exponentially over decades. I have all of my old vinyl, CDs (any thousands) , VHS, DVD, cassettes, music magazines (many hundreds of these), books (so so many). Having been through Mum and Dad's house, I feel a real need to de-clutter my own home. Right now I feel like i need never buy another piece of music, or at least not until I have shrunk my collection by a decent percentage. Has anybody else faced this dilemma yet, any good advice out there?
    Last edited by Sunlight Caller; 09-26-2016 at 03:51 AM.

^^^
    Whatever you do, you will probably regret it to some degree.

My mother died 3 years ago, and it was the same process. I have problems tossing stuff that have a history, even though I probably never will have time to look at it again, use it or have space for it.
    What happens (if nobody takes the hard decisions for me) is that it goes to a temporary store (the basement, the attic, the garage), where the emotional attachments evaporates in some years - and then it can be delt with. It irritates me because I know I feel relieved when I have thrown, sold, given away stuff that I basicly never would have bought, and thus shouldnt weigh me down.
    Its a family curse, both my dad and mum were keepers, as if they were preparing for the 3. world war.

You can take pictures of the stuff to remember . . .

Your situation sounds exactly the same as mine. I hate throwing away "history" too, but it is therapeutic to do so, and the weight visibly lifts from my shoulders. Digitising photos, documents etc is a good way to reduce some clutter. I guess the same could be said for music and video, but the tangible has always held great value to me. I move my "junk" out to a store room, and as you say over time the connection evaporates. The trouble I face now is that I am converting that store to a gym (another plank in my defeat the ageing process campaign), and so stuff has to now go, it's hard but I'll get there!

I've wondered sometimes I'm just heartless or something. I don't care that much about holding onto old stuff. My parents have boxes with stories us kids wrote back in grade school or art that we created, etc. They went through some of it and gave me my stuff. I have near zero interest in it. I recently dug out some poetry/lyrics I wrote from about age 17-24 and it's just horrible stuff and most of it is impenetrable to me now anyway. I've also been somewhat of a pack rat and kept lots of things that I thought "this might come in handy". In only a very few cases has that ever proven true. In the last year or so I've been trying to clean out tons of forgotten items. After about 20 years of holding onto something maybe it's not ever going to "come in handy". But I do try to pass things on to those who might actually make use of them.

CDs are different. I'll still hold onto those. And I'm sure my son would want my collection if something happened to me. If he didn't want them I'm not sure why I'd be upset...
    <sig out of order>

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I moved into a new home last January. Everything other than furniture from the move was stored into large bins that were just stacked in a spare bedroom. The first few days/weeks I found myself constantly rummaging through these bins for items that I needed or wanted to display. As the months went on, these trips into the spare bedroom and storage bins became less and less frequent. Here it was 8 months later, I decided to turn that spare bedroom into a jam/practice room. The only problem was, it was still loaded with shit from the move. It was at that precise moment I realized that if I hadn't been rummaging through those bins in literally months, then it was certainly evident that the balance of those possessions was either unwanted or useless to me. BOOM. Between Goodwill, curb-alerts, and those yardsale apps I was able to unload that shit in a week. Felt FANTASTIC!! The new jam-space was the icing on the cake and a fun little addition to my lifestyle. Of course, I had to acquire more shit to make that happen, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Circle of life.
    Last edited by Paulie; 09-26-2016 at 08:08 AM.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

A hobby of mine is genealogy. I have a great deal of difficulty tossing stuff, especially when I look at records of ancestors 150 years dead & wish I had something tangible from them. I'd like to pass this stuff on to one of my children. What they do with it after I'm gone is their business.

I remember as a kid, visiting relatives all the time. I always knew their names and where they fit into our family tree. I learned the history of both sides of our family. Now, my kids would have a tough time coming up with their grandmothers unmarried last name. They have met few of their extended relatives. I've tried to interest them but gave up. They live in the moment and have little care for what happened in the past, outside of the very basic general story.

How many generations past your family's immigration into the US does it become a non-issue? I count 3.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.