Page 123 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133173223 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 5932

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

DAMMIT! Tuesday I hauled 25 totes (Christmas decorations) up the Attic ladder. Was dreading it for weeks and my knees were sore as fuk right afterward. Wednesday I went out with sore knees and quads and mowed the lawn. Did a twist with the mower an felt a crunch in the right knee. Woke up this AM with the knee the same diameter as my thigh! Cant bend past 90degrees...sitting painful but reclined is comfortable. Swelling down now this PM but the tight skin is still painful. With this Covid and the gym closed for a year combined with the shitty winter PNW weather....lack of exercise is taking a toll. Started walking last weekend hoping to resume that activity but now back to reclined. Our County fell back to Phase 2 last Monday as infections are on the rise.
    Hopefully swelling will be minimal for Saturday’s 2nd Pfizer shot. Need that knee to operate the gas pedal.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

^^ Here in the Phoenix area, houses don't have the type of attic in which one can easily store things. It doesn't snow here, so there's no need for a steep roof pitch. Also, most air conditioners are on the roof, so a shallow pitch roof makes it more accessible to a/c techs. Not to mention, the extreme temps inside our attics would ruin many items. Last summer, an a/c tech actually died crawling around inside someone's attic.
    Last edited by progmatist; 04-16-2021 at 03:04 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    DAMMIT! Tuesday I hauled 25 totes (Christmas decorations) up the Attic ladder. Was dreading it for weeks and my knees were sore as fuk right afterward. Wednesday I went out with sore knees and quads and mowed the lawn. Did a twist with the mower an felt a crunch in the right knee. Woke up this AM with the knee the same diameter as my thigh! Cant bend past 90degrees...sitting painful but reclined is comfortable. Swelling down now this PM but the tight skin is still painful. With this Covid and the gym closed for a year combined with the shitty winter PNW weather....lack of exercise is taking a toll. Started walking last weekend hoping to resume that activity but now back to reclined. Our County fell back to Phase 2 last Monday as infections are on the rise.
    Hopefully swelling will be minimal for Saturday’s 2nd Pfizer shot. Need that knee to operate the gas pedal.
    Hope it's better soon!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    In a Teams meeting with a bunch of coworkers and everybody is complaining about the 1" of snow we got today. Whippersnappers!
    We got a foot on Mothers Day (May 9th) in 1977, and I think I'm the only one in the meeting who was born yet, so I don't even think I'll bother mentioning it.

I live in Florida. I complain when it gets below 75F.

Not long after my oldest nephew graduated high school, he seriously considered going into HVAC repair. I told him if he did, he'd work all day on hot roofs in 115 degree heat. And when temps spike to 115 is precisely when air conditioners start dropping like flies. He'd work 16, 18 hour days, 7 days a week until the monsoon rolled in, and the heat finally subsided.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Hope it's better soon!
    Swelling consistently receding and soreness subsiding but still painful to put weight on the joint. I was really hoping for a nice scenic Motorcycle ride today but there was that pesky inner voice that kept saying....”if that knee gives out in the slightest when needed, you’ll Drop that 900# bike!”

Wish I had a Box Set to Fondle instead.....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Not long after my oldest nephew graduated high school, he seriously considered going into HVAC repair. I told him if he did, he'd work all day on hot roofs in 115 degree heat. And when temps spike to 115 is precisely when air conditioners start dropping like flies. He'd work 16, 18 hour days, 7 days a week until the monsoon rolled in, and the heat finally subsided.
    My friend for 50 years or so is in that business, but around here he's in and out of houses and basements all day/every day, but until 2 weeks ago he hasn't been eligible for COVID vaccine by profession even though people who do things like maintain public roads and state park paths are eligible, I guess because they have public sector union connections and he merely works for a living. </rant>

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    My friend for 50 years or so is in that business, but around here he's in and out of houses and basements all day/every day, but until 2 weeks ago he hasn't been eligible for COVID vaccine by profession even though people who do things like maintain public roads and state park paths are eligible, I guess because they have public sector union connections and he merely works for a living. </rant>
    <sayin'>Most road work these days is performed by private contractors, who may or may not be unionized. Or whose employees may or may not be documented.</just sayin'>

Kids today, I tell you.........

My son and his wife just got 2 baby goats.

That's the closest thing to "grand kids" they've given us
    Regards,

Duncan

You know you're old when you like Johnny Mathis. When it comes to this crooner, lounge, singer music Mathis is my favorite.

Wednesday at the dentist it was 80's music Mantovani Style.
    I resisted the impulse to ask them to turn it down. I detest those arraignments.
    It was the Dr's groove music, so didn't want to mess with that.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Wednesday at the dentist it was 80's music Mantovani Style.
    I resisted the impulse to ask them to turn it down. I detest those arraignments.
    It was the Dr's groove music, so didn't want to mess with that.
    My dad listened to Muzak, Mantovani and all that crap as I was growing up. It was until I started buying Beatles albums that I realized I knew so many of their songs .. albeit the wrong versions.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ Reminds me of when Pat Boone went "heavy metal."

In a Jeopardy! episode from last week, none of the contestants could name the 3 credit reporting agencies. That doesn't bode well for the financial literacy of the younger generations.

In a Jeopardy! episode from last week, none of the contestants could name the 3 credit reporting agencies. That doesn't bode well for the financial literacy of the younger generations.
    The only one I could come up with was TRW.
    Apparently that went away 25 years ago.

They dug themselves a hole with massive data breaches a few years ago. Housing has gotten so expensive that the young ones often have zero chance of home ownership and mortgages was what drove those credit reporting agencies.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^^ Not to mention they now have to rack up tens of thousands in student loan debt just to earn a degree. Those loans are now just like a mortgage. Buying a house would require taking out a full, not partial second mortgage.

^^ Not to mention they now have to rack up tens of thousands in student loan debt just to earn a degree. Those loans are now just like a mortgage. Buying a house would require taking out a full, not partial second mortgage.
    They are worse than a mortgage. Most homes appreciate in value as they age. In theory you can trade up over time.
    Most degrees loose value over time, unless you start using them right after graduation and 'ride the escalator' for the rest of your career.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Now you know you're old when you're having a stoned conversation about stool softeners and irregularity.......

^ Run Vic, run!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Goddamit, I have to get a friggin' dental implant to replace a bad tooth. Sounds like a fun process. It'll pair well with the colonoscopy next month!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Goddamit, I have to get a friggin' dental implant to replace a bad tooth. Sounds like a fun process. It'll pair well with the colonoscopy next month!
    I have 5 dental implants. They are a long process that take about 9 months from start to finish. I have had issues with permanent pain in my mouth stemming from the implants. Most people don't have these problems, but unfortunately I have been one of them. Not trying to be discouraging, but my experiences have been a mixed bag. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Thumbing through an old High School yearbook and realized I’ve never posted this before.....Queensryche’s future Lead Singer! Attachment 15024
    Oh wow, I played (or practiced) in a band for a week or so with Geoff right before he joined the Ryche... He has a awesome voice. You didnt happen to go to school with a Matt Bazemore did you? I think he was at school with Geoff Tate as well. He was a drummer in a few bands with me in high school. He did the first Queensryche album cover - I think