Page 105 of 239 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 5954

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    WOW. I just spoke to this guy last night. Had the surgery on the 9th. Heart was in worse shape than originally thought. Instead of 2 holes in the lining of a chamber...there were 5....and the bad valve couldn't be repaired, so was replaced. But that wasn't the worst of it....He apparently had a psychotic reaction to the anesthesia and had to be put in a medical coma for 10 days! They were bringing him out slowly......he escaped the hospital. He does remember standing outside of the Emergency room buck naked with tubes hanging out with passers by staring at him.....back into the hospital and knocked out again....got home on the 24th. He is still a bit out of it....that whole thing of all the delusions feeling so real....He was a Medic in the army and then spent the next 40 years as a paramedic in Victoria BC....so he's seen psychotic episodes. He thanked me for not contacting his wife during all this as I guess it really freaked her out! (and she is still in treatment for Bladder Cancer) So....he is home now ....all the cracked ribs Really hurting....and he's getting some memories back but he is no where near 100% in the brain department!

Getting Old Ain't For Sissies!
    Jeez. And some people think they have problems.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Indeed! Grateful to currently be reasonably healthy.
    <sig out of order>

Here's something you don't necessarily have to be a Geezer to experience. My Neighbors (62yo) just lost their Dog last Sunday.....Layla was 17! Pretty good for a Ridgeback / Shepard mix. Kenny is a BIG strong dude but was reduced to tears telling the story.....She was a neat "watch" dog. When she barked Someone was IN our back yards (5 of us back up to a unfenced greenbelt.
    I always say people should get dogs from shelters, *NOT* pet shops. Pet shop puppies are often raised in puppy mills, and become psychotic as a result.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I always say people should get dogs from shelters, *NOT* pet shops. Pet shop puppies are often raised in puppy mills, and become psychotic as a result.
    Sometimes shelter dogs started out in a pet shop.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    But, they have likely been abandoned and should be taken care of. By getting your animal from a shelter, you are supporting their work and saving animals. By buying one at a pet store, you are supporting puppy mills and helping to ruin breeds through mutation and selective breeding. They should be outlawed.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    But a competent shelter will recognize a dog with behavioral problems, and not adopt them out.

What a y'all doing about Halloween this year? I'm a 60's kid so it was a BIG deal in my neighborhood. Lot's of neighbors went all out in decorating and we would collect pillowcases full of candy...

I debated this year about participating.....1. Keep Door Closed and turn off the light. 2. Just put candy in a bowl on the porch and think "honor system." 3. Heard a news story about a Plague Pipe. Mount a PVC pipe 6' or longer from your porch ceiling angled down toward the "candy bag" Slide the candy bar down the pipe into the bag. you're outdoors, more than 6' apart and masked.....

I get 20-30 neighborhood kids / year...I know them all....Bought a 10' lightweight PVC drain pipe...30' of lightweight chain for about $27.00 at Lowes. All I need to do now is mount the doorbell on a post next to the end of the pipe....lamp cord will work fine....

It will be interesting to see how many kids actually show up this year....

Spent the last two days in my yard putting up decorations.....it was a welcome diversion from the daily Covid grind.....

Maybe I'm a fool...but I am comfortable with the Plague Pipe.....as comfortable as going for groceries.....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

...but I am comfortable with the Plague Pipe.....
    "Plague Pipe" - next album name
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Banned
    I believe one can protect one’s self and provide trick or treats. I’m not convinced the whole event is safe, as a people event. Sure one can imagine how it could be. But separating the giver from the takers doesn’t solve the interaction between takers problem. If it’s not safe to go back to school, then how can Halloween be safe and supervised for sure. BTW the biggest freakin mistake was to take K-3 out of school, because those are the most rapidly changing years in a child’s development, very little if any virus emanating from them because of a lack of ACE receptors, and it’s easy to protect teachers in this case. Is any approach perfect? No, but absolutism will kill us.

What a y'all doing about Halloween this year? I'm a 60's kid so it was a BIG deal in my neighborhood. Lot's of neighbors went all out in decorating and we would collect pillowcases full of candy...

I debated this year about participating.....1. Keep Door Closed and turn off the light. 2. Just put candy in a bowl on the porch and think "honor system." 3. Heard a news story about a Plague Pipe. Mount a PVC pipe 6' or longer from your porch ceiling angled down toward the "candy bag" Slide the candy bar down the pipe into the bag. you're outdoors, more than 6' apart and masked.....

I get 20-30 neighborhood kids / year...I know them all....Bought a 10' lightweight PVC drain pipe...30' of lightweight chain for about $27.00 at Lowes. All I need to do now is mount the doorbell on a post next to the end of the pipe....lamp cord will work fine....

Spent the last two days in my yard putting up decorations.....it was a welcome diversion from the daily Covid grind.....

Maybe I'm a fool...but I am comfortable with the Plague Pipe.....as comfortable as going for groceries.....
    If it makes you happy, then keep at it. I see it as a good thing.

I planned on dressing as a young Rick Wakeman. But during the pandemic, it's hard to find a reasonably priced long blonde wig.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I believe one can protect one’s self and provide trick or treats.
    Well, maybe the treats. I doubt the tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, maybe the treats. I doubt the tricks.
    Well......I'm planning a "trick"....I'll be running a Car Horn in parallel with my doorbell. The chime in the house will ring while the car horn placed hidden behind a pot by the front door will "await" the trick or treater......I imagine there may be tears from the under 3' ers.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I'm gonna hit the streets in the city and play whatever I want.

We have treated upwards of a hundred kids at our place. Tomorrow, blinds drawn and porch light off as we watch classic horror movies.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

We don't get any trick or treaters in our neighborhood regardless of COVID, so nothing happening there. Our local minor league baseball stadium was doing a Michigan vs Michigan State football party in the afternoon showing the game on their big screen with people socially distanced on the baseball field with beer and BBQ. We did have a group of us going to that, but our local health department announced yesterday that they were not going to allow it to happen, so we won't be doing that.

Bottom line.......looks like we will be staying home continuing my knee surgery recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We have treated upwards of a hundred kids at our place. Tomorrow, blinds drawn and porch light off as we watch classic horror movies.
    Sounds just like what will be happening at my house.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Banned
    I’m just going to put as many bowls as I can across my front yard and light everything up. I’ll be in the house while I let it rip. If there are kids/parents, they make their choice, not my fault and I didn’t encourage the situation. This idea on having a pipe to send the candy away from the giver is no different than having a single bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    This idea on having a pipe to send the candy away from the giver is no different than having a single bowl.
    Actually, it's quite different. With a pipe, you don't have a bunch of slobbering kids digging through the same bowl.

Pretty sure we're just gonna turn off all the lights and probably have more than one bowl.
    <sig out of order>

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Actually, it's quite different. With a pipe, you don't have a bunch of slobbering kids digging through the same bowl.
    People will crowd towards a single treat point. Multiple treat points separated by at least 6 feet permit less crowding. If everything is managed then great.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Pretty sure we're just gonna turn off all the lights and probably have more than one bowl.
    If turning off the lights means people can’t see each other, then that isn’t optimum.

I'm going to turn off the lights and smoke a couple bowls.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm going to turn off the lights and smoke a couple bowls.
    A couple of decades ago, I was standing on the front porch smoking, late on Halloween night. 3 old teenagers walked up the stairs and said, "Trick or Treat!" I flicked the ashes into one of their buckets. They got pissed, said FU, and left.