Page 80 of 238 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130180 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 5939

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Most of us are experiencing the opposite

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Most of us are experiencing the opposite

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Going back a bit to personal exercise...... Last April I stopped going to the gym when I made the trek back to NJ to see the Strawbs 50th. When I returned in mid May, I resumed my 3-Mile-Mosey at the local Mall but never went back to the daily Gym workout.
    I "Forced" myself yesterday to return to the Gym...... I resumed my weight routine albeit with less weight and Reps to reintroduce my muscles to the workout. I did the same with the Treadmill routine too.
    Woke up this morning feeling a bit more perky and NO grumblings from the affected muscles. And...I'm actually looking forward to going again today! (off-day for weight training)
    Over the six month absence...I reinforced my misguided assumptions of the Gym in question... (one of two locations I frequent) It is predominantly populated by White privileged retirees*.....1/2 are there just to sit on the machines and socialize....and they get pissy if you ask to use the machines they are reclining on. The younger folks are watching You Tube videos while sitting on the machines. It was frustrating to keep up a routine constantly interrupted by these folks who weren't really there to workout. Anyway...I returned......MOST of those folks were gone....so the routine went at a good pace.

The bottom line (for me).....If the gym workout makes you Feel Better physically & mentally...then Get Back There regardless of the obstacles! If the "speed bumps" return (retirees) I'll go a little earlier when the "working folks" are there at a faster clip.....or, start making a stink with management regarding machine usage. GIT OFF MY LAWN!....er....MACHINE!

* I can say this as I grew up in this neighborhood....these old farts are the parents of my old classmates.....and even they had an air of privilege 40 years ago in school.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Banned
    Anybody heard from Steve (progeezer)? I haven’t seen him here in a week.

I can't remember if I have asked this before or not, so if I have I apologize, but curious if anyone here has had knee replacement surgery? Did it work for you and what kind of recovery time was it?

Who wants to start a class action lawsuit against insurance companies for switching us all over the place and wasting many hours on the phone and still unable to get medical and dental questions and scenarios answered so we can make choices about plans and dentists and know what our out of pocket costs are going to be?

Can you tell I've wasted 4 hours over the last 2 days and still can't get what I need done answered with any satisfaction?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Who wants to start a class action lawsuit against insurance companies for switching us all over the place and wasting many hours on the phone and still unable to get medical and dental questions and scenarios answered so we can make choices about plans and dentists and know what our out of pocket costs are going to be?

Can you tell I've wasted 4 hours over the last 2 days and still can't get what I need done answered with any satisfaction?
    I’m in

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post

Haven't you heard? Most Americans love their private insurance companies.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Haven't you heard? Most Americans love their private insurance companies.
    That's a Russian hoax!

Let's just say I'm relating to this thread completely differently than I was a few months ago.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I can't remember if I have asked this before or not, so if I have I apologize, but curious if anyone here has had knee replacement surgery? Did it work for you and what kind of recovery time was it?
    I had my left knee fully replaced 18 months ago, I'd tried pretty much every other approach including cortical steroid shots, pain killers and acupuncture. Just no cartilage in there, arthritic and bone on bone. It's now probably 80% of where I was when fully fit but 200% better then before surgery. Needed plenty of physical therapy and daily trips to the gym to get it where it needed to be post surgery but 100% worth it from my perspective.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I had my left knee fully replaced 18 months ago, I'd tried pretty much every other approach including cortical steroid shots, pain killers and acupuncture. Just no cartilage in there, arthritic and bone on bone. It's now probably 80% of where I was when fully fit but 200% better then before surgery. Needed plenty of physical therapy and daily trips to the gym to get it where it needed to be post surgery but 100% worth it from my perspective.
    How long was it before you could walk and get around again? How long before you could drive? I have major issues with both knees and I am almost there to where replacement is going to be the only option. If I end up having surgery I am kind of trying to plan when a good time to do it would be. Another question, I am eventually going to have to have both knees done. Would you recommend doing them at the same time and getting it over with, or doing one at a time?

How long was it before you could walk and get around again? How long before you could drive? I have major issues with both knees and I am almost there to where replacement is going to be the only option. If I end up having surgery I am kind of trying to plan when a good time to do it would be. Another question, I am eventually going to have to have both knees done. Would you recommend doing them at the same time and getting it over with, or doing one at a time?
    My neighbor had both his done at the same time. He said if he didn't he may not of had the other one done.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

It was on crutches almost immediately and then on a cane after about 6 weeks, driving was about 4 weeks. That was more about being on reduced pain killers. I was off the cane in about 3 months. There was physio twice a week and home to start with and I was doing 40 minutes of exercises every day for 6 months. Fortunately I only needed one knee done immediately though I'm probably only a few years off getting the second one done. I've heard of people doing both but I can't imagine it myself, the rehab on both knees would be horrible and the mobility would be severely reduced. I could get around with one good leg, with both done it would have taken a lot longer and been much more difficult.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

News from a pharmaceutical company, hmmm, should I trust that as a source? Er no.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Let's just say I'm relating to this thread completely differently than I was a few months ago.
    Maybe because you've gotten older.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Maybe because you've gotten older.
    Agreed, but in my case I've gotten MUCH older in terms of functionality in a very short time, which, no matter how you behave externally (stiff upper lip & all that shit), scares the hell out of me quite frankly.

Without spewing out the litany of all the stuff that's changed, an example would be that the physical therapy exercises I'm assigned to do are very hard because of the effect on my chronic low back problems, so that all becomes a vicious cycle.

Just for context.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Agreed, but in my case I've gotten MUCH older in terms of functionality in a very short time, which, no matter how you behave externally (stiff upper lip & all that shit), scares the hell out of me quite frankly.

Without spewing out the litany of all the stuff that's changed, an example would be that the physical therapy exercises I'm assigned to do are very hard because of the effect on my chronic low back problems, so that all becomes a vicious cycle.

Just for context.
    Steve, I had chronic back problems for years but bought a set up orthotics for my shoes. It completely took away the pain. I have no idea if this applies to you but it worked for me.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Thanks Greg! My nurse is coming this afternoon and I'll ask her about that.

I don't really have back problems but am thinking of getting an inversion table. The Teeter looks overpriced though, for the obvious reasons. But hell, if that old coot can jump and kick his heels it might be worth 300 bucks....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    My neighbor had both his done at the same time. He said if he didn't he may not of had the other one done.
    Bad idea.

My mother had both knees done at the same time (against doctor's advice), and it made rehab so hard she never walked again.

My dad had both knees redone at different times, and he was still climbing ladders to clean gutters at 90.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Bad idea.

My mother had both knees done at the same time (against doctor's advice), and it made rehab so hard she never walked again.

My dad had both knees redone at different times, and he was still climbing ladders to clean gutters at 90.
    Have to agree, I can't imagine going through it with both done.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Steve, I had chronic back problems for years but bought a set up orthotics for my shoes. It completely took away the pain. I have no idea if this applies to you but it worked for me.
    Orthotics are great if used for correcting spine alignment problems due to the way you walk. However, I doubt it Steve's problem, he's just OLDlike me...I have age related permanent back problems due to spinal cartilage deterioration. I go for weekly physio to keep the supporting back muscles as supple as possible. It's also very important to keep your sitting to a minimum. This IS a major factor in the ageing process.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Orthotics are great if used for correcting spine alignment problems due to the way you walk. However, I doubt it Steve's problem, he's just OLDlike me...I have age related permanent back problems due to spinal cartilage deterioration. I go for weekly physio to keep the supporting back muscles as supple as possible. It's also very important to keep your sitting to a minimum. This IS a major factor in the ageing process.
    I hear what you're saying, I over pronate, so the orthotics were a God send. For Steve, I wasn't sure but you're probably right about the aging process.