Thread: Yard sale question

Yard sale question

A sort of random question aimed at USian folks.
    Have you had a yard sale, and what are the primary forms of payment these days?
    I know cash is always good, and having change is important. No checks.
    But when it comes to "Apps", what to do?
    There are so many around, Venmo, Cash App, etc and I use none of them.
    And if I don't have to I would rather not. Setting up access to account stuff for a one off event seems to be excessive to me.
    But if I had to, which would be most useful?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    A sort of random question aimed at USian folks.
    Have you had a yard sale, and what are the primary forms of payment these days?
    I know cash is always good, and having change is important. No checks.
    But when it comes to "Apps", what to do?
    There are so many around, Venmo, Cash App, etc and I use none of them.
    And if I don't have to I would rather not. Setting up access to account stuff for a one off event seems to be excessive to me.
    But if I had to, which would be most useful?
    My sister does a big garage / yard sale with a bunch of her friends every summer. Cash is still king, but she does take some money virtually too. I think she uses Venmo as her main ap.

I have used PayPal for years. I first got it back when I was involved with ProgDay and needed to transfer cash for various things. I still use it a lot to this day, although I don’t think it is as popular as some other aps, especially with younger people.

Somehow Paypal slipped my mind, since I usually only use it to buy stuff. It seems to be the most common of the 'virtual' payment methods. I still don't use the app.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I use PayPal and Venmo. No complaints with either.

Somehow Paypal slipped my mind, since I usually only use it to buy stuff. It seems to be the most common of the 'virtual' payment methods. I still don't use the app.
    I think it is common with older folks like us, but from my experience younger people tend to use newer Apps.

The eons are closing
    I am old but not "as" some here - do garage sales in spring and fall. Zelle is the way to go aside from cash. I have Venmo - but dislike it.

If your bank is part of Zelle - it will be available (likely) in your Bank's phone app. You can register thru there.

Edit: I also have PayPal - but I find it cumbersome and in many instances; the $$ sit there and not in your account. Zelle, when offered thru your bank, sends the money to the Bank account.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I use all the aformentioned, plus a chase merchant card reader, which is okay.

My parents' "active adult community" has a semi-annual community garage sale, in spring and fall. Most people living there are of a certain age, and don't even know how to use cash apps.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    My parents' "active adult community" has a semi-annual community garage sale, in spring and fall. Most people living there are of a certain age, and don't even know how to use cash apps.
    I would be one of them.

I think most of the regular folks are serial yard sale resellers, and browsers. I will be selling some kind of specialty stuff ( quilting, sewing, and craft ) that will be advertised within those interest groups.
    -- Aristotle

I think most of the regular folks are serial yard sale resellers ....
    aka Early Birds
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    aka Early Birds
    Back when I used to work 3rd shift I had a guy who worked for me that every Thursday morning he would start hitting garage sales before they even opened when he got out of work at 7AM. This guy was a real wheeler dealer. He would find stuff at these sales and then sell them on e-bay, marketplace or whatever. He had quite a nice side income from this and it was a fun hobby for him.

Today, he is retired and lives in The Villages in Florida. He still wheels and deals and has a business that sells homemade steampunk hats and other items at flea markets and other events. He was a pro at the whole garage/ yard / estate sale thing.