Page 76 of 237 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 5923

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I found out 10 days ago that it is possible to dislocate a rib. It also hurts like a mo fo!!
    When I crashed my car a year and a half ago, the seat belt broke 3 ribs. It hurt like a mofo just to blow my nose.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Did it have to be reset or did it pop back in? - Ouch... sounds awful either way.

I found out 10 days ago that it is possible to dislocate a rib. It also hurts like a mo fo!!
    I did that once. It hurt to talk! The good news was that the pain dissipated very quickly - much faster than a broken rib.

I once broke my wife's rib - I was giving her CPR. Long story, but thankfully we joke about it now

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Yeah, i'm misplacing things all the time.Very annoying.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I once broke my wife's rib - I was giving her CPR. Long story, but thankfully we joke about it now
    What you gave her was CBR.

LOL
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Did it have to be reset or did it pop back in? - Ouch... sounds awful either way.
    After icing it for 5 days with minor relief, I went to the chiropractor and he was the one who told me it was a dislocated rib.
    I thought it was an oblique injury.
    He was able to reset it, and 5 days later I was completely pain free.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Banned
    ... I went to the chiropractor and he was the one who told me it was a dislocated rib.
    I thought it was an oblique injury.
    He was able to reset it, and 5 days later I was completely pain free.
    You were lucky this time, glad it worked out and that it was something simple . Next time I recommend going to a real doctor! Too many people are under the impression that chiropractors are physicians or that chiropractic is a science-based practice or that it at least does no harm.

http://whatstheharm.net/chiropractic.html

I agree with you that there are a lot of quacks in this field. However, I trust this man completely. He had only recently started treating me for chronic lower back pain.
    He showed me my xrays and pointed out where my problems are coming from. My spinal column is straight. It has no curve. My last two lower discs are practically on top of each other, and my discs do
    not attach evenly on the spine. They are off to the left.Six sessions in, I am pain free in the lumbar, and where the rib dislocated too. He has cut me back to once a week adjustments, down from the twice a week I was doing. Progress is obvious, and will be verified by xray when he is finished.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Next time I recommend going to a real doctor!
    This is an old debate, and we won't settle it here, but....

Some chiropractors know what they're doing and actually do perform 'good alignments' and don't over-promise what chiropractic can do. Others... don't.

My sister had some f'ed up discs for years and chiropractic helped. A couple years ago she gave up having weekly treatments and had nine vertebra fused. It limited her flexibility, but fixed the pain.

Another "woo medicine" is acupuncture. There's no good scientific explanation for why it would work, but in a percentage of cases it does. Some of them are undoubtedly psychosomatic, but others... aren't. My sister (other sister) had severe nausea from her chemotherapy and the only treatment that helped was acupuncture. She couldn't explain it (Ph.D scientist) and decided it didn't matter WHY it worked.

Medicine is still a very primitive science, with many unknowns.

I've been seeing a naturopath who appears to have reduced my anxiety with an herbal remedy. I guess some could argue it's all a placebo effect, but I've tried several things ... why didn't the placebo effect work with the others if it's all down to my suggestibility? When your anxiety is sometimes nearly crippling you're grateful for relief no matter the reason.
    <sig out of order>

Banned
    I agree that there are undoubtedly good chiropractors but buyer beware...

An herbal remedy may very well work beyond placebo and many herbs have active ingredients, otherwise we wouldn’t smoke them ;-) In fact if it really works well enough it will eventually become part of standard medical practice. More pharmaceuticals are derived from natural ingredients than complete synthetics AFAIK.

Happy your sister had a good result rc, but I’m extremely skeptical it anything to do with acupuncture which has over many studies been shown to have the same efficacy as placebo, but I’m assuming you know that.

I’m definitely not looking for a debate, but I do worry when I see people turning to woo rather than evidence (or science) based medicine. I’ve seen too many crooks and too many victims so forgive the brief step up to the soapbox. I’m done.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 10-07-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Charlie Mingus's wife's bio of him described his moving to Mexico after US doctors told him his ALS was incurable.

He tried chicken sacrifices and cowshit poultices. They didn't work. He died anyway.

But he had nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Medicine is still a very primitive science, with many unknowns.
    Well, yeah, compared to 2029.

Still, life expectancy for males in the U.S. has risen a lot, partly due to a lower car accident rate but medical advances have played a big role as well:

1960 68
    2020 78

And this is about to go up a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Charlie Mingus's wife's bio of him described his moving to Mexico after US doctors told him his ALS was incurable.

He tried chicken sacrifices and cowshit poultices. They didn't work. He died anyway.

But he had nothing to lose.
    Same with Andy Kaufman. Believed in the filipino scam of pulling tumors out of the body with the hands, until the gag was on him (or at least that how the movie has it).
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Well, yeah, compared to 2029.

Still, life expectancy for males in the U.S. has risen a lot, partly due to a lower car accident rate but medical advances have played a big role as well:

1960 68
    2020 78

And this is about to go up a lot.
    Unless there's some major environmental disaster that kills us all. Yeah, I went there. Enjoy your Tuesday everyone, lol.
    <sig out of order>

Pray for an asteroid, Plasmatopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Same with Andy Kaufman. Believed in the filipino scam of pulling tumors out of the body with the hands, until the gag was on him (or at least that how the movie has it).
    Andy Kaufman is still alive. He and Elvis hang out at Jimmy Hoffa's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Unless there's some major environmental disaster that kills us all. Yeah, I went there. Enjoy your Tuesday everyone, lol.
    The U.S., Europe and Japan have become far cleaner since 1965 when you couldn't see more than a block or two ahead in L.A. and Tokyo because the pollution was so bad. Japan and the U.S. are the cleanest countries in the world. Pollution in China has fallen by 40% since the late 1990s but India has stalled. Overall, the world environment has improved, not gotten worse. Environmental disasters are for the movies (and New York Times articles ).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    According to the EPI the USA ranks 27th on cleanliness .
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    27 out of X?

I know many people who've had excellent results from chiropractors addressing problems that "conventional" medicine said couldn't be fixed.

Incidentally, one a friend of mine - one of PE's longest-standing members - is a Chiropractor, and has a senior position at one of the top Chiropractic schools.
    Regards,

Duncan

That adds a vague "Ecosystem Vitality" factor. Take out that and the U.S. at 94 is tied at the top - even more so if you take out the tiny countries with 1 to 10 million people.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That adds a vague "Ecosystem Vitality" factor. Take out that and the U.S. at 94 is tied at the top - even more so if you take out the tiny countries with 1 to 10 million people.
    15th after removing Ecosystem Vitality (don't you want a vital ecosystem?)

It's out of 180 countries.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The U.S., Europe and Japan have become far cleaner since 1965 when you couldn't see more than a block or two ahead in L.A. and Tokyo because the pollution was so bad. Japan and the U.S. are the cleanest countries in the world. Pollution in China has fallen by 40% since the late 1990s but India has stalled. Overall, the world environment has improved, not gotten worse. Environmental disasters are for the movies (and New York Times articles ).
    I should probably have used a different term. I mean basically any large disaster whether mankind contributes or not. Like something massive we can't control or don't expect (asteroid, eruption of giant caldera, global drought, fast-moving infectious disease, whatever).
    <sig out of order>

15th after removing Ecosystem Vitality (don't you want a vital ecosystem?)

It's out of 180 countries.
    It's not 15th out of any sizable countries and tied at the top. In terms of air pollution (PM2.5), the U.S is the cleanest. Ecosystem vitality is vague and highly arbitrary and doesn't say anything about how clean that air and water are.