Page 111 of 238 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161211 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 5932

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

I had a mild case of Shingles a couple of years ago at age 57. I'm seriously considering the vaccine. I don't think insurance covers it ... of course. It's a few hundred bucks, I believe.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    As long as they are not nude, and masturbating.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    As long as they are not nude, and masturbating.
    I don't wanna see that either. With or without a case of shingles.
    <sig out of order>

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I had shingles twice. Very painful. When the vaccine became available I got it (Don't recall getting a second dose, though). Haven't had an attack since. Best wishes to you, Yodelgoat.

I was surprised to learn that it affects a third of the population. I guess most people suffer in silence. I have learned it is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox, which I had in childhood. It stays in the body and can attack some as shingles later in their lives. Now that there is a chickenpox vaccine, I would expect incidences of shingles to decrease eventually.

Our clinic strongly suggested that my wife and I get the shingles vaccine. It takes two doses. Oddly, the second one left me feverish for one night but after that I was fine.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I had a mild case of Shingles a couple of years ago at age 57. I'm seriously considering the vaccine. I don't think insurance covers it ... of course. It's a few hundred bucks, I believe.
    Insurance covered mine, but I had Medicaid.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

My son was 28 when he got shingles, mostly around the eyes, scalp, face. He said it was the most painful thing he has experienced.

This old man has been putting off the vaccine for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Sorry to hear this, Jim. It sounds like your shingles is similar to what I had - i.e. not much breakout and scabbing etc., but the pain is the same. My dermatologist told me it's quite a rare form, but well known.

For me it felt like someone was putting a hot clothes iron onto my skin. Even the weight of a shirt in the skin was sheer hell.

Weirdly, I had it when I was a young 54-year-old whippersnapper. (I.e. long ago )

I hope it clears up soon.
    I had it around the same age. Not fun at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I had shingles twice. Very painful. When the vaccine became available I got it (Don't recall getting a second dose, though). Haven't had an attack since. Best wishes to you, Yodelgoat.

I was surprised to learn that it affects a third of the population. I guess most people suffer in silence. I have learned it is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox, which I had in childhood. It stays in the body and can attack some as shingles later in their lives. Now that there is a chickenpox vaccine, I would expect incidences of shingles to decrease eventually.
    The original Shingles vaccine was a Zostavax which was a single shot. The new one, Shingrix, is a recombinant vaccine which is supposed to be more effective for longer periods with 2 shots.
    I had a mild case in 2012, got the anti-viral meds started early so it was not as bad as some folks get.
    The chickenpox vaccine should be helpful to those who accept it. The 'chickenpox party' parents will keep Shingles alive for future old people.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    My son was 28 when he got shingles, mostly around the eyes, scalp, face. He said it was the most painful thing he has experienced.

My Dad had multiple repeated bouts of shingles on the scalp and forehead and face. This was many decades ago, when he was younger than I am now. (He's 93 now.) Very unpleasant, and not pretty
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post

When David Letterman was still doing the Late Show, he had to take time off when he got shingles around the eyes. Audiences would've been grossed out by the very sight of it.

In some cases of shingles, the anti-viral Valtrex can be an effective treatment.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I thought shingles was partially brought on by stress. I was training staff at a prison in Ohio about 10 years ago and was supposed to co-lead it with a friend who is a clinical psychologist. At the last minute, he pulled out. That left me to manage a session with over 30 staff (not to mention, travelling, finding the prison, etc). I developed shingles as a result. Not pretty but nothing since.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

^^ Mononucleosis episodes are also triggered by stress. It too is a persistent virus, which is either active or inactive.

Shingles is a roofers disease. Kidding. I'm 62 but I know I should get the vaccine. I've been fortunate so far. Never had gout or shingles.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Never had gout or shingles.
    Never had Shingles (did get the two Shingrix shots, so hopefully I never will), but I've had gout. That you don't want either. Whatever joint it's in, and I've had it in the big toes and in the knees, it is no fun. Feels like the joint is on fire. Speaking of, yes, I have tried smoking dope to ease gout pain. It does work; however, as soon as the high wears off, the gout pain is back.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I have lower back pain and shoulder pain. I use cannabis to control the pain, and it's great for conversation, music, etc. I took the week off so I've been controlling the pain all week.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll
    The original Shingles vaccine was a Zostavax which was a single shot. The new one, Shingrix, is a recombinant vaccine which is supposed to be more effective for longer periods with 2 shots.
    Thanks. I'm sure they gave me the right dose. If they needed me to come back for a second dose, I probably did. Hard to remember now, as the vaccine affects an old man's memory. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The 'chickenpox party' parents will keep Shingles alive for future old people.
    Imagine risking your kids' health to avoid them taking a vaccine. In the next few months, as vaccines become available, there will be Covid parties for unsuspecting children.

I use cannabis to control the pain, and it's great for conversation, music, etc.
    I use cannabis to keep from killing people.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

LMAO

I use it weekly for the relaxation! The munchies are killer though!

The opposite of the DEA.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    The 'chickenpox party' parents will keep Shingles alive for future old people.
    The chickenpox party concept is the basis for the herd immunity theory in the current pandemic. The difference is, and it's a big one: chickenpox deaths, or even hospitalizations are exceedingly rare.

"Herd Immunity" is a ridiculous concept. They're called survivors. And there's no guarantee that those who had it once are immune from reinfection. In fact, we know they're not.

Still cracking up about...

I use cannabis to keep from killing people...

I can relate, sorta....

Still cracking up about...

I use cannabis to keep from killing people...

I can relate, sorta....

My original line is that I use it to keep from killing my family. But, that's a bit harsh.