Page 162 of 239 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172212 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 5959

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I was given a gift by a dear friend today..........a cast iron, Dutch oven. The thing must weigh 20lbs.
    I picked up a brand new one at the Goodwill and my wife loves it. You have to season it first and no dishwasher.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

We have four in the kitchen, as my wife uses them to bake bread. My use is basically chili and other soups. We also have a cast iron skillet we use a ton. Correct in seasoning and no dishwasher, but even more important is no soap or detergent of any kind. I use kosher salt as an abrasive and a stiff brush only.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm gonna make a nice, rustic pot of chicken soup in that Dutch oven today. Can't wait.

We have a big Lodge cast-iron frying pan and it's great. But my wife's new fave is a cast-iron Dutch oven covered in ceramic. You need a forklift to transfer it to the oven but damn it's wonderful.

I got my second booster a couple days ago and wow, it gave me some flu-like symptoms for a day. But we're ready for summer and maybe getting some travel in.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

a cast-iron Dutch oven covered in ceramic. You need a forklift to transfer it to the oven but damn it's wonderful.
    That's exactly what I have. Mine's red.

That's exactly what I have. Mine's red.
    mine, too
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Now, if the ceramic cracks, can it be re-glazed???

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    So true. I have 3 high school friends who have at least 1 30+ yo adult child living in their homes. None of the children have ever been able to support themselves but talk a good line of BS that they’ll soon be moving out. The 800lb gorilla in the room is the lack of dealing with the drug and alcohol addictions.
    Shut up! Just shut up! At least my son only graduated a year ago. He's a bit too comfortable living at home right now though. Dealing with COVID was definitely difficult for them, though. My son had to spend his last three semesters of college living in a single room, basically isolating when he wasn't in his classes that were taught in person. It was a really disappointing college experience for him, but he still did very well academically, and graduated in four years, something his old man did not do! I give him a lot of credit for that. And he's managed to do an internship, and he IS doing some work, although it's part time, but at least it's writing - using his Literature degree somewhat! But we're putting some pressure on now to make sure there's not a failure to launch...

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    That has more to do with Due Diligence at 16-18 years old. I have a few teacher friends bitching about their student loans (now approaching their 60's) If you were to find out what the going Teachers Salary is you can put it against what the cost of the loans would be. My Art teacher friend (from a few posts above) should have really researched those 2 4-Month semesters in Florence vs. a Public School High School job. You don't need two Masters Degrees in Art to teach high-schoolers. She'll have that debt the rest of her life (she's 66 and still working)

And yes....the parents are to blame. They should have done a cost analysis with those young teens. My parents were AWOL when it came to my schooling. They were blue collar with good jobs / benefits. They never encouraged us to go to college. My older brother broke away as I did and got more schooling.....my younger brother tried to live the life of his 1950's era parents and at 60, he's still in an entry level job.

My friend rose pretty high in the Finance world. He interviewed many applicants. The Buzz in the "real world" is Not Where you went to school....but what have you been doing these past 5 years. No one is going to hire an Ivy Leaguer who's been in their parents basement the past 5 years. I wish this message was circulating around the High Schools now by College Counselors and instead of telling everyone to apply to Dartmouth, to research how much it's gonna cost. When my friend was in college, he went to the annual Spring Job fair all 4 years he was at his university. He looked at it like a practice run at job interviews And to see what was the demand in the area. Landed a finance job at Boeing at 22. Had other offers too. He was looking to market himself the whole time at college.
    Since states cut education funding in the '08 recession, a student loan has become more like a home mortgage. The majority of a monthly payment is interest, making very little impact on the principal.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Since states cut education funding in the '08 recession, a student loan has become more like a home mortgage. The majority of a monthly payment is interest, making very little impact on the principal.
    Student loans should be interest-free. It's the best investment our society can make and will reap a return that far outweighs interest payments.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Corporations have done a really fine job of convincing the young ones that unpaid internships are the pathway to success. They are also a pathway to corporations not having to pay a salary to an entire generation.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I was given a gift by a dear friend today..........a cast iron, Dutch oven. The thing must weigh 20lbs.
    Maybe I'll give my wife a Dutch Oven tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Corporations have done a really fine job of convincing the young ones that unpaid internships are the pathway to success. They are also a pathway to corporations not having to pay a salary to an entire generation.
    Mmmm……I can’t speak for other corporations, but at Pfizer internships were always paid positions. They did not pay a lot, but If a kid did well it could lead them into a job with the company. I saw it happen a lot. Personally I believe in internships for college kids, but just my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Student loans should be interest-free. It's the best investment our society can make and will reap a return that far outweighs interest payments.
    lol student loans shouldnt exist period
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    We have lots of interns where I work, I believe none of them are paid but lots lead to job offers, personally they just seem to get in the way with their 'projects'.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    Seriously? I'd love to hear the rationale.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    all loans rely on interest to perpetuate the lender's ability to lend money.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Except for the US government.

Now, if the ceramic cracks, can it be re-glazed???
    You'll have to ask Jed about that.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Man's greatest achievement is not one of technology or science. It is the education of the masses. There is no greater investment than educating our future leaders. That should not be limited to people based on their financial means. We all pay the price for that.

And before anyone says we cannot afford it, I will state that we can afford if it is is a priority. If we cannot afford it, it's because it's not a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    As though they get nothing from other loans or credit cards, savings accounts and more? Lenders' ability to loan money does not rely on interest payments as much as it relies on the profits from investments that THEY make using the money people entrusted them with. You don't actually think the money in your accounts just sits there, do you?

Man's greatest achievement is not one of technology or science. It is the education of the masses. There is no greater investment than educating our future leaders. That should not be limited to people based on their financial means. We all pay the price for that.

And before anyone says we cannot afford it, I will state that we can afford if it is is a priority. If we cannot afford it, it's because it's not a priority.

Well, I agree with that. However, I took IMWeasel's comment to be about the current system, as it is now.

Well, I agree with that. However, I took IMWeasel's comment to be about the current system, as it is now.
    Seems to me that he was calling for change.

college should be free, a lot of higher education was with my parents generation

Seems to me that he was calling for change.
    I do that a lot, when I'm not being brainwashed that is

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I was reflecting on university education that is a requirement for white collar employment: Dentist, Family Doctor, Psychologist, High School Teacher, Professor, Accountant, Surgeon. I'm sure there are dozens of others, just off the top of my head. You can't be hired in these jobs without formal education.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 04-10-2022 at 04:28 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)