Page 120 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170220 ... LastLast
Results 2,976 to 3,000 of 5949

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Congratulations
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Congrats, Duncan!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

A great milestone indeed. With a few exceptions, marriage has never seen much in the way of longevity in my family. I waited until I was 50 to take the plunge, so for us to make forty years, well...seems unlikely. Sincere congratulations!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Congratulations, Duncan. 40 big ones; that's quite the milestone.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Congrats, Duncan!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Following the "Damn I'm Old" theme of this thread - my wife and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary today.

That's 40 whole years!

Damn she's old
    That's awesome! This summer is 24 years (18 married) for us. Hard to believe.
    <sig out of order>

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I've logged in albums two years!

Marriage number 3.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I've logged in almost two years!

Marriage number 3!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I've logged in almost two years!

Marriage number 3!
    Only number 2 for me.
    <sig out of order>

One is enough for me.

Having never been married, I've never been at risk of losing half my stuff.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    You wish it was only half.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I've been married for more than 35 years and I can guarantee you the last thing she'll want is half of my stuff.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist
    Don't be so sure. Do you have a government? Do you have health care in the US?

I didn't have anything for my first wife to get half of.

I don't think I'd lose anything now, but if I did it's just stuff. I wouldn't have most of it if it wasn't for her anyway.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I've been married for more than 35 years and I can guarantee you the last thing she'll want is half of my stuff.
    Same here and every now and then I get the "and what am I supposed to do with all this shit if you die!"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Same here and every now and then I get the "and what am I supposed to do with all this shit if you die!"
    That topic comes up with the woodturning community with regularity.
    Guys ( and women ) hoard wood, collect tools and die without leaving a plan.
    Or worse, age in place and hang on to the stuff till the bitter end.
    Turning clubs ( it's a thing ) get requests from widows of members to help price and help dispose of a garage or shop filled with stuff.
    We help. But a plan and inventory is the least you can do. It's no fun to sift through a strangers stuff and try and establish value. Plus there will be fewer of us old guys around to do it in the future.
    But perhaps the best thing to do is "Swedish Death Cleaning". Taking care of your stuff before it becomes a burden on your family.
    It's just my wife and I with a house full of stuff. It would take a while to declutter without shocking our lives.
    I have read some sort of funny stories about folks that have done the Marie Kondo cleaning before the pandemic, and then regretted the decision when unread books and unplayed games became valuable again.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Why shouldn't one hang on to the stuff that brought him enjoyment till the end of his life. Yes, I now have to get rid of my dad's traditional jazz-collection, records, CD's, tapes, books and magazines, but he had enjoyed them till the end. Now, I would rather have had him to able to declutter, for instance because he would have to move to some assisted living facility, or because he would be ill and have not much time to live, but his dead came more or less unexpected. Yes, he was 92, and he had some health issues, but not enough to think of him dieing on a short term.
    I know there is at least one book that is of some value and there should be some records that seem to be valuable.
    My dad owned the Jelly Roll Morton Scapbook, that seems to go for prices over $ 200
    And then there are several editions of Brian Rust discography's.

I would rather purge for the sake of purging. I live with pack rats. My wife can't even throw away phone messages.

Lat year, I threw away about a dozen Hefty bags filled with stuffed animals.

We talked to a friend last night. His partner collects cars, big sedans from the 50s and 60s. I turned to my wife and said something to the effect that, "guitars are much smaller". Right now there's only two guitars in the house and one amp. There should be more and next year I might do something about that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I would rather purge for the sake of purging. I live with pack rats. My wife can't even throw away phone messages.

Welcome to the club.

...I live with pack rats. My wife can't even throw away phone messages...
    I still have shows several years old saved on my DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Don't be so sure. Do you have a government? Do you have health care in the US?
    With a 50% disability rating, my healthcare is courtesy of the VA.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

When my dad died, I was helping to clean up around the house. I found bags of lottery tickets in his shop area. Never would have guessed. Jars of screws and nails and old fishing line, yes, but not 'the numbers'.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Following the "Damn I'm Old" theme of this thread - my wife and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary today.

That's 40 whole years!

Damn she's old
    😆😆😆 Happy Anniversary! I hope this year is easier for you than the past year.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    My wife has moved a collection of VHS tapes from apartment to apartment our last 3 moves, Annie Get Your Gun, The Sound Of Music, Oklahoma, etc, etc. We haven't had a VHS tape player in over a decade
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.