Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

  1. #2726
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12,722
    I love the theater experience. Reclining seats, the best popcorn, incredible sound, and a screen size hundreds of time bigger than my 90 inch TV with surround. I generally like to group experience of sharing an incredibly well done picture. I also fondly remember the midnight showings of rock concerns at my local cinema where dope smoking was accepted.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  2. #2727
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I love the theater experience. Reclining seats, the best popcorn, incredible sound, and a screen size hundreds of time bigger than my 90 inch TV with surround. I generally like to group experience of sharing an incredibly well done picture. I also fondly remember the midnight showings of rock concerns at my local cinema where dope smoking was accepted.
    I can smoke dope before watching a movie at home.

    Truly, though, I don't really seem to have any interest in newer movies. I prefer to watch older ones when dialog mattered more and they weren't catering to an audience that needed to have action every few minutes. I'm not a snob about it. I just don't see anything that moves me enough to go out. That could change. And I certainly could be missing something. But, it would have to be really special to get me out.

    Oh, wait, there was one movie I saw within the last couple of years. We saw "Yellow Submarine" at the local IMAX. The right IMAX showing could get me out of the house.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  3. #2728
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,734
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I can smoke dope before watching a movie at home.

    Truly, though, I don't really seem to have any interest in newer movies. I prefer to watch older ones when dialog mattered more and they weren't catering to an audience that needed to have action every few minutes. I'm not a snob about it. I just don't see anything that moves me enough to go out. That could change. And I certainly could be missing something. But, it would have to be really special to get me out.

    Oh, wait, there was one movie I saw within the last couple of years. We saw "Yellow Submarine" at the local IMAX. The right IMAX showing could get me out of the house.
    We probably went to more movies in the theater in 2019 than the past 2 to 3 years combined, but IMO 2019 was a really great year for movies. We don't really go to the theater a lot, but I do like to go every so often.

  4. #2729
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    10,432
    The last movie I saw in a theater, aside from a few animated movies we took our kid to, was Bladerunner 2049 at an Imax theater. What was that, 2016 or something? That was worth it because it was pretty awesome to see that way. I almost never watch TV anymore. I mostly listen to NPR. Thanks to POTUS, Covid, war, terrorism, and natural disasters, the news is much more entertaining and/or captivating than most other media. Except, of course, music!

  5. #2730
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Truly, though, I don't really seem to have any interest in newer movies. I prefer to watch older ones when dialog mattered more and they weren't catering to an audience that needed to have action every few minutes. I'm not a snob about it. I just don't see anything that moves me enough to go out. That could change. And I certainly could be missing something. But, it would have to be really special to get me out.
    I'm in the same boat. I prefer the older movies, too, while she-who-must-be-obeyed loves the recent movies with all the car chases (the Fast and Furious franchise) and the Michael-Bay-type movies that, to me, are not much more than a showcase for the CGI and sound-effects wizards. The noise, the noise, the noise!
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  6. #2731
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12,722
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I can smoke dope before watching a movie at home.

    Truly, though, I don't really seem to have any interest in newer movies. I prefer to watch older ones when dialog mattered more and they weren't catering to an audience that needed to have action every few minutes. I'm not a snob about it. I just don't see anything that moves me enough to go out. That could change. And I certainly could be missing something. But, it would have to be really special to get me out.

    Oh, wait, there was one movie I saw within the last couple of years. We saw "Yellow Submarine" at the local IMAX. The right IMAX showing could get me out of the house.
    I don't really watch older movies. I did see Hitchcock's Rebecca and thought it was outstanding. I have been reading the black and white thread an may try one out.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-01-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  7. #2732
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    4,689
    In my house, she-who-must-be-obeyed prefers horror, dark drama, or thrillers. I tell her every movie she likes is someone having the worst possible day of their life. I am more of a Marvel/Star Trek/SW/comedy/Bond kind of guy. I want escape from this wretched world. Our only intersection is LOTR/Harry Potter/old TCM movies.

    Our theater options SUCK. Poor sound and even worse audience. The last movie I saw in the theater was Avengers: Endgame. It was at a small town community-owned theater. They never get the audio mix right. The bass is cranked way up and the dialog gets lost.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  8. #2733
    I saw the Queen movie and the most recent Death Wish with my neighbor because he had free passes.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  9. #2734
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I don't really watch older movies. I did see Hitchcock's Rebecca and thought it was outstanding. I have been reading the black and white thread an may try one out.
    I used to work with a girl who hated B&W movies for no other reason other than they were B&W. What a sadly missed opportunity.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  10. #2735
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    2,199
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I used to work with a girl who hated B&W movies for no other reason other than they were B&W. What a sadly missed opportunity.
    Possibly not a missed opportunity for the girl.

  11. #2736
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    2,002
    At 6'5", the biggest issue for me with theaters was the lack of leg room. Maybe that's changed in the last 20 years, I don't know. The last time I flew in the late 80s, I could barely squeeze myself into an airline seat. I can't imagine how much worse it would be since the airlines have squeezed more seats in their planes.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  12. #2737
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12,722
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    At 6'5", the biggest issue for me with theaters was the lack of leg room. Maybe that's changed in the last 20 years, I don't know. The last time I flew in the late 80s, I could barely squeeze myself into an airline seat. I can't imagine how much worse it would be since the airlines have squeezed more seats in their planes.
    There are theaters in my town that have huge reclining seats that would easily fit you. Should be one in your area.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-01-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  13. #2738
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,053
    In 10 years I've visited a cinema 5 times or so. I kinda miss Blockbuster. I've never done Netflix or streaming movies ever.

  14. #2739
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,734
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    There are theaters in my town that have huge reclining seats that would easily fit you. Should be one in your area.
    As I mentioned before, all of the theaters in my town have those now. Once one got them, the others had to compete. Leg room is no longer a problem.

  15. #2740
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,077
    There's a theater in my area with full-on recliners in the theater, and a full-on restaurant and bar outside - which allows you to take your food and drinks into the movie.

    Pretty cool - though I've only been there 2 or 3 times.

    It's a bit pricey, and don't order any mixed drinks - their bar staff don't have a clue.
    Regards,

    Duncan

  16. #2741
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    There's a theater in my area with full-on recliners in the theater, and a full-on restaurant and bar outside - which allows you to take your food and drinks into the movie.

    Pretty cool - though I've only been there 2 or 3 times.

    It's a bit pricey, and don't order any mixed drinks - their bar staff don't have a clue.
    I'm the guy in the theater in a cloud of Cinnamon! Bring 2 flasks of Fireball for sipping.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  17. #2742
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    There's a theater in my area with full-on recliners in the theater, and a full-on restaurant and bar outside - which allows you to take your food and drinks into the movie.

    Pretty cool - though I've only been there 2 or 3 times.

    It's a bit pricey, and don't order any mixed drinks - their bar staff don't have a clue.
    We had a theater here called Alamo Draft House that had 40 different beers on tap and a full menu that they would bring to your table. If you wanted another beer, you just put up a little flag and a waitress would come and get your order. We usually just got popcorn and beer, but their popcorn was the best movie popcorn I have ever had. Unfortunately they got bought out by AMC which turned the place into another generic theater. All of the theaters in my town now serve food and have full bars. I think they all bring food to your seats as well, although we usually don't do that.

  18. #2743
    I'm not old, my dad is.
    Alas today he suffered from some health issues and he is in the hospital again, because this morning he seems to have suffered from an epileptic seizure, which is the result of him having suffered several strokes and a brain-infarct at the end of January.

  19. #2744
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12,722
    ^^^Sorry to hear that.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  20. #2745
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    8,128
    Yeah, Renate, sorry to hear that, and best wishes going forward.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  21. #2746
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,053
    Best wishes Renate.

  22. #2747
    Member Yodelgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    1,028
    I am 61. and I just spent 5 days in agony. Seems I have a "minor" flair up of shingles. I had no idea It would affect me, and I' about 5 years ahead of the normal. I do have to say, that as far a suffering goes, its been the worst since my last bout with pneumonia. It only is affecting my back and left front torso, But you do not want to get this.

    I was at the dr and they said that not all breakouts cause the nasty looking scabs and open sores. I guess we caught this early enough that it hadn't ruptured, but they did find two rather minor looking "zits" on my back, saying that is may still erupt and cause the typical outbreak that you see. Nothing too awful to look at, but the pain is terrible, and it is 'relentless, which is terrifying. I cant seem to get away from constant pain. I wake up in pain from just moving slightly in my sleep. It's not death threatening, but I can see how it could drive someone insane. Anyway, if you are over 65, get the shot. Its not worth risking. Hopefully in a few days I will start to feel better. Its odd. It started as a very sore feeling in my right leg, then that went away in a week or two, then it immediately showed up in my back, and kind of spread around to my lats and then chest area. Its like my upper right torso clear is constantly being burned. Any movement aggravates it. So far no aspirin or over the counter treatment seems to work. I get temporary relief using Everclear on a rag and rub it on the sore spots, but the pain is back in just a few minutes. Skin is Super sensitive to the touch. I do find that a hot tub seems to help. But the pain is similar to a bruise, but shallower, like just under my skin. Weird. Getting old sucks. I dont recall chicken pox - which I understand is the same infection that causes shingles hurting like this. Maybe I was just a tough kid.

    Shingles, what an odd thing to get.
    I got nothin'

    ...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

    live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

  23. #2748
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    8,128
    ^ Very sorry to hear about your affliction, Yodelgoat. Best wishes for a quick turnaround to better health. They were running a lot of commercials not that long ago, and they claimed that 1 in 3 Americans gets shingles, iirc. This was amazing news to me, since I'm 59 now and don't know anyone who has ever gotten shingles. Anyway, I don't recall if they were pushing a vaccine or medication, but I might have to look into it, given what you've run up against. Again, much sympathy, and get well soon.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  24. #2749
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I am 61. and I just spent 5 days in agony. Seems I have a "minor" flair up of shingles. I had no idea It would affect me, and I' about 5 years ahead of the normal. I do have to say, that as far a suffering goes, its been the worst since my last bout with pneumonia. It only is affecting my back and left front torso, But you do not want to get this.

    I was at the dr and they said that not all breakouts cause the nasty looking scabs and open sores. I guess we caught this early enough that it hadn't ruptured, but they did find two rather minor looking "zits" on my back, saying that is may still erupt and cause the typical outbreak that you see. Nothing too awful to look at, but the pain is terrible, and it is 'relentless, which is terrifying. I cant seem to get away from constant pain. I wake up in pain from just moving slightly in my sleep. It's not death threatening, but I can see how it could drive someone insane. Anyway, if you are over 65, get the shot. Its not worth risking. Hopefully in a few days I will start to feel better. Its odd. It started as a very sore feeling in my right leg, then that went away in a week or two, then it immediately showed up in my back, and kind of spread around to my lats and then chest area. Its like my upper right torso clear is constantly being burned. Any movement aggravates it. So far no aspirin or over the counter treatment seems to work. I get temporary relief using Everclear on a rag and rub it on the sore spots, but the pain is back in just a few minutes. Skin is Super sensitive to the touch. I do find that a hot tub seems to help. But the pain is similar to a bruise, but shallower, like just under my skin. Weird. Getting old sucks. I dont recall chicken pox - which I understand is the same infection that causes shingles hurting like this. Maybe I was just a tough kid.

    Shingles, what an odd thing to get.
    Sorry to hear this, Jim. It sounds like your shingles is similar to what I had - i.e. not much breakout and scabbing etc., but the pain is the same. My dermatologist told me it's quite a rare form, but well known.

    For me it felt like someone was putting a hot clothes iron onto my skin. Even the weight of a shirt in the skin was sheer hell.

    Weirdly, I had it when I was a young 54-year-old whippersnapper. (I.e. long ago )

    I hope it clears up soon.
    Regards,

    Duncan

  25. #2750
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, IA, USA
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I am 61. and I just spent 5 days in agony. Seems I have a "minor" flair up of shingles. I had no idea It would affect me, and I' about 5 years ahead of the normal. I do have to say, that as far a suffering goes, its been the worst since my last bout with pneumonia. It only is affecting my back and left front torso, But you do not want to get this.

    I was at the dr and they said that not all breakouts cause the nasty looking scabs and open sores. I guess we caught this early enough that it hadn't ruptured, but they did find two rather minor looking "zits" on my back, saying that is may still erupt and cause the typical outbreak that you see. Nothing too awful to look at, but the pain is terrible, and it is 'relentless, which is terrifying. I cant seem to get away from constant pain. I wake up in pain from just moving slightly in my sleep. It's not death threatening, but I can see how it could drive someone insane. Anyway, if you are over 65, get the shot. Its not worth risking. Hopefully in a few days I will start to feel better. Its odd. It started as a very sore feeling in my right leg, then that went away in a week or two, then it immediately showed up in my back, and kind of spread around to my lats and then chest area. Its like my upper right torso clear is constantly being burned. Any movement aggravates it. So far no aspirin or over the counter treatment seems to work. I get temporary relief using Everclear on a rag and rub it on the sore spots, but the pain is back in just a few minutes. Skin is Super sensitive to the touch. I do find that a hot tub seems to help. But the pain is similar to a bruise, but shallower, like just under my skin. Weird. Getting old sucks. I dont recall chicken pox - which I understand is the same infection that causes shingles hurting like this. Maybe I was just a tough kid.

    Shingles, what an odd thing to get.
    Thanks for sharing this, and best wishes for a speedy recovery. I've had two friends come down with shingles, one with effects on the torso and down one side, and the other around the eyes (very scary). On doctors' advice I had my first shot in late October (I'm 59) and will go back for the "booster" near the end of January.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •