Page 97 of 239 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147197 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 5957

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    My cat and oldest dog were best friends, and same age, 7 years.
    Last year the cat got leukemia and we had to 'put her to sleep'.
    The dog was aware of her loss (we let the cat lie dead 24 hours in a box in the living room) and was sorry for several days.
    The younger dog (6 months) was not quite aware of the situation the same way.

I miss the cat, but we have way more birds in the garden now.
    But you can't cuddle a bird and they don't sit on your lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I think you can with parrots - they are quite smart and social.

I love cats, and the 3 cats I have had all took mice and rats - I miss that too.
    One of the cats unfortunately caught everything living including squirrels. He ate the squirrels, only the squirrel-tail was left. He was a small Burmilla and very special, social and strange. The other older cat didn't like him, even though tried everything to make himself likable.

Sorry to read about the recent losses, human and otherwise. This is a trying enough time to try to navigate through, and when the end of (a) life hits close to home, no matter the circumstances, it's a cause of and opportunity for serious reflection. I'm glad this community exists.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

On a different note ... in my neighborhood of about 30 homes, five have recently changed owners as the older, original owners have passed away. One of them is the house next door. My wife is not looking forward to change; she referred to our section as 'Retirement Row', and had enjoyed the relative quiet of our neighbors.
    I had to point out that we, in our early 60's, are now the 'old neighbors next door".
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

I too live in on a block that is half retirement row and half newbies to town. A nice mix except for the sonovabitch that thinks he MUST drive his hawg down the street with no goddamn muffler. That fucker has to go.

Condolences to all your losses. The trouble with reaching our age group is the losses multiply: family, friends, long-time furred family. It sucks and there's no way to sugarcoat it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I love cats, and the 3 cats I have had all took mice and rats - I miss that too.
    One of the cats unfortunately caught everything living including squirrels. He ate the squirrels, only the squirrel-tail was left. He was a small Burmilla and very special, social and strange. The other older cat didn't like him, even though tried everything to make himself likable.
    You have to watch out for the beak of the parrot. But I've taken care of chickens and they are rather soft and likable, though the ones form one breed were plucking the tails of the other chickens.

^ I'm tired of my neighbor's damned chickens tearing up my flower beds. The free eggs they give me do not make up for it.

I've made the switch from using the treadmill to walking outside. I got in two miles this morning before breakfast. My iHealth app says I'm doing more walking per week than last year but given that I had surgery last year, that's not a surprise. Still, I'll take it as encouragement.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I'm tired of my neighbor's damned chickens tearing up my flower beds. The free eggs they give me do not make up for it.
    Perhaps you should ask your neighbours to keep them in a chickenhouse. The chickens I sometime take care of (currently not, because corona doesn't make traveling easy) have chickenhouse.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've made the switch from using the treadmill to walking outside. I got in two miles this morning before breakfast. My iHealth app says I'm doing more walking per week than last year but given that I had surgery last year, that's not a surprise. Still, I'll take it as encouragement.
    I try to do 2.5 mile walk every day if possible
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Cockatoos are as affectionate as cats.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    On a different note ... in my neighborhood of about 30 homes, five have recently changed owners as the older, original owners have passed away. One of them is the house next door. My wife is not looking forward to change; she referred to our section as 'Retirement Row', and had enjoyed the relative quiet of our neighbors.
    I had to point out that we, in our early 60's, are now the 'old neighbors next door".
    My folks live in an "Active Adult Community." Many of their neighbors have passed on. That Seinfeld episode in which Kramer ran for HOA president in Jerry's Parents' AAC, and stuck a campaign sticker to an ambulance is almost too close to home to be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    My parents used to own an acre in what was the boondocks, but has since urbanized into a suburb. They discovered having chickens is the absolute most expensive way to acquire eggs. Likewise, owning a cow is the most expensive source of milk.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I held a plank (the isometric excersize) for two minutes today. That's a personal best. 2 minutes isn't a long time but try it some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I held a plank (the isometric excersize) for two minutes today. That's a personal best. 2 minutes isn't a long time but try it some time.
    2 minutes IS a long time. You should be proud!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I keep walking around the house expecting to see my cat. She was a pain, not a normal lap cat that could just lie there and let you pet her and all that but I do miss her. Gonna take some getting used to.

Can't believe it cost $152. That seems outrageous but what do I know.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

You are up against some pretty stiff competition.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Somebody forgot to inform my parrot.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I keep walking around the house expecting to see my cat. She was a pain, not a normal lap cat that could just lie there and let you pet her and all that but I do miss her. Gonna take some getting used to.

Can't believe it cost $152. That seems outrageous but what do I know.
    I know, it was the same for my dad. His cat was having health-issues, but when we finally had to put her to sleep, it was like my dad didn't have a reason to get out of bed anymore. In the end of course he left is bed everyday, but much later than when the cat was still around. Now he gets out of bed at his normal time. Probably also, because the sun is earlier.

I still miss my old cat, which is dead for less than 2 years. At this moment I have a temporary cat.

^^ My parents' dog would wake my dad every morning at around 5:30 by licking his eyes, because she wanted to go out. Even in the winter when it was still dark at that time. Now since she's died, my dad can sleep in. BTW: We don't observe daylight saving time in Arizona, so it is in fact daylight at 5:30am this time of year.

The reason was when my dad worked, he'd get up a 5:30am to get ready, taking her out before hand. After he retired, they were never able to break her out of that habit. She was part Yorkie, part Bichon. Both breeds separately are notoriously hard to train. Put the two together, and what do you get?
    Last edited by progmatist; 06-06-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Both breeds separately are notoriously hard to train. Put the two together, and what do you get?
    Yo-Bich?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

^

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Yo-Bich?
    That reminds me of a clever bumper sticker I saw a few years ago. It was one of those paw prints which read, "My best friend's a bitch."

Got the results from my blood work today. I'm a healthy, bouncing, 62 year old. No Covid antibodies, no exposure to Covid.

Got the results from my blood work today. I'm a healthy, bouncing, 62 year old. No Covid antibodies, no exposure to Covid.
    Life is good!

I would prefer to have Covid antibodies, because then theoretically I couldn't get Corona again.
    On the other hand knobody knows if you can have it several times and thus unknowingly infect others.
    Tricky bastard that covid virus.

We aren't going anywhere or easing our precautions until there's a vaccine. We're just not going to roll the dice with this shit.