Page 87 of 238 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 5948

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Not what this thread was supposed to be about...
    Sorry, you're absolutely right. This is not the time or place - I will cease & desist. As a youngster I couldn't care less about politics. Now as an oldster, I find myself caring too much.

Monday I start a 12-week weight loss class at the Y. It's not exercise (I don't think) but just personalized counseling. Since I retired I've put on about 20 pounds. Not a good idea, and I seem to be unable to adjust my eating to my new more-sedentary lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Bad enough we get Yami's snake oil advertisements but now this discussion? Come on.
    My snake oil advertisements? I doubt you have heard of Nature magazine, but its spin-off publication Nature Metabolism just published a long feature article on the state of NAD+ boosting with NR and NMN. It has a couple of errors in it but is otherwise a good summary.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    We come here to get away from that crap, there's enough spam on the web already, just stop will you, none of us are buying.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    We come here to get away from that crap, there's enough spam on the web already, just stop will you, none of us are buying.
    You don't know the difference between spam and a medical breakthrough? Nobody is asking you to buy anything or even hinting that. Also, I didn't bring it up, Jerjo did.

It's Friday. This pal texts me a meme that he has the Coronavirus and he couldn't work. So there's a pic of a bucket of Coronas. I guess it's not funny but I guffawed and snarfed beer.......

^ I heard it was a disease that makes you put lime in your beer.

Banned
    Emergency Broadcast System ...... Coronado will hit soon

I believe I'm immune from the Coronado Virus. My ship docked on Coronado Island in my Navy days. Of course, those in the know know Coronado Island isn't really an island, but the top of the peninsula forming San Diego Bay.
    Last edited by progmatist; 01-25-2020 at 04:16 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Actually, I think it is an island. The long causeway that winds southward and joins it to the mainland, thus causing it to appear to be an peninsula, is man-made.

Perhaps the truth is that it was an island until the military turned it into a peninsula. Sadly, that trapped filth in San Diego bay that will no longer flush out naturally.
    Regards,

Duncan

Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

That'd be funnier if it was a shredder.

Here's an off-the-wall question.

For distance vision my eyes are about equally good, with contacts. However, when reading with drug store reading glasses, my left eye is MUCH BETTER than my right eye. I think my eyes need different diopters for reading!

Anybody ever heard of that?

I guess what I need to do is buy two identical drug store cheaters, one 1.5 and one 2.5 and then swap one of the lenses.

When my wife got her eyesight tested after her cataract surgery, one of the things that the optometrist noted (with a shrug) that one eye was slightly stronger. So she got glasses that compensated for that to use while driving or watching TV. Apparently it's pretty common.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

For distance vision my eyes are about equally good, with contacts. However, when reading with drug store reading glasses, my left eye is MUCH BETTER than my right eye. I think my eyes need different diopters for reading!

I guess what I need to do is buy two identical drug store cheaters, one 1.5 and one 2.5 and then swap one of the lenses.
    One of my wife's eyes is stronger than the other and gets compensated for when she gets glasses.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

My right eye is much better than my left.The prescription reflects that.

I wink at chicks with my left eye, but I'm right handed.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    My right eye is much better than my left.The prescription reflects that.
    My contacts have different prescriptions, to give me 20/20 distance vision. But even corrected to 20/20, my 12" vision is different between the eyes (?)

My eyes have always been unequal in their shortsightedness. When I first needed glasses as a teenager, one eye was 20/30, the other was 20/40.

So, the verdict is in and I just found out for sure yesterday that I will be having both of my knees replaced. I will get the first one done and then 6 to 8 weeks later get the 2nd one done. Have any of you had this surgery and if so, how long was it before you went back to work? I am in pretty good shape, ride my stationary bike most day, still use a weight machine.

I still have both my factory knees, but both my parents had all four of their knees done

They get you up & walking the next day, and you must keep exercising the new knee to recover properly. 6-8 weeks between them sounds kinda close -- you might want to wait until the new knee is fully recovered, which could take 3-6 months -- but everyone I know who's had it done was glad they did. Just don't get both done at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    So, the verdict is in and I just found out for sure yesterday that I will be having both of my knees replaced. I will get the first one done and then 6 to 8 weeks later get the 2nd one done. Have any of you had this surgery and if so, how long was it before you went back to work? I am in pretty good shape, ride my stationary bike most day, still use a weight machine.
    I was up and around within 3 or 4 weeks after having my hip replaced. The "hip precautions" ended, and my return to work ensued after 6. The only change I had to make was getting rid of the 2004 Ford Focus Wagon, because I could no longer squeeze myself behind the steering wheel.

They get you up & walking the next day, and you must keep exercising the new knee to recover properly. 6-8 weeks between them sounds kinda close -- you might want to wait until the new knee is fully recovered, which could take 3-6 months -- but everyone I know who's had it done was glad they did. Just don't get both done at the same time.
    The doctors and physical therapists made it a point to have me up and walking on the new hip within just a few hours. That's essential for recovery.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I've mentioned here I've had trouble seeing the road while driving at night. We'll, I finally made an appointment with my optometrist and my sight is indeed significantly deteriorating. I have cataracts and need eye surgery that will take 4-6 months due to high demand. In the meantime, I've got a new prescription for new glasses and can't wait to pick them up.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That sounds too close together, I've heard horror stories of people not being able to rehab properly with both knees done. I was back at work within a couple of weeks but it was 6 months of rehab before I felt I was back. I can't imagine trying to get around with two post surgery knees.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I was up and around within 3 or 4 weeks after having my hip replaced. The "hip precautions" ended, and my return to work ensued after 6.
    My wife had hers done ten days before Labor Day and she still isn't 100% yet. Took her to walk around the mall today and she still has a slight limp and says the other one is bothering her a little now. It would be a strain for her to go back to work all day on her feet, yet she says sitting done a lot bothers her as well. And she isn't overweight.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!