Page 98 of 238 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148198 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 5939

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We aren't going anywhere or easing our precautions until there's a vaccine. We're just not going to roll the dice with this shit.
    More or less the same here. As long as there are all kinds of restrictions in place going somewhere is not much fun. I'm not waiting to get ill, or pass it to my dad. Yes, I know the chance he has to live another 10 years is perhaps not that big, but dieing from this disease is not something I want for him, or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I would prefer to have Covid antibodies, because then theoretically I couldn't get Corona again.
    On the other hand knobody knows if you can have it several times and thus unknowingly infect others.
    Tricky bastard that covid virus.
    I thought the same but at 62, with some underlying conditions I'd prefer to take my chances by not being exposed to Covid. But who knows, we're in for a long haul and a vaccine is no guarantee.

From a client who just returned from an out-of-town wedding:

South Carolina is not really taking the precautions we are in PA. No one wears masks except for restaurant servers. We wore ours and kept distance from people except our family at the wedding. Not surprising cases are increasing again given how some states just really take no precautions.
    Of course, the Carolinas are experiencing spikes right now. This country is so fucked because of the greed, selfishness, impatience and willful ignorance of our citizens.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ When my Mom went to get her hair done for the first time in months, only the staff were wearing masks. That's despite new City and County requirements to wear one. The shop owner said if she chided any customer for not wearing one, they'll cuss her out or threaten her life.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Of course, the Carolinas are experiencing spikes right now. This country is so fucked because of the greed, selfishness, impatience and willful ignorance of our citizens.

Since I live in NC, near the coast and only 8 miles above SC, I will state that in our area, where the population explodes with rentals in summer, it is mostly the folk from NJ, NY and PA that come down and think they no longer need to wear masks in stores. And they party in close quarters at the bars in SC Horry County SC is where the biggest outbreak is anywhere near us. Charlotte and Raleigh are quite far away, can't speak about them. NC has restaurants open but not bars. I went to one of the outdoor restaurants my wife and I like and appreciated that the servers more masks (at another restaurant they were not, we left) We noticed they also wiped down the menus when they took them from us and when people left, they wiped down the table and chairs. Felt pretty good about that. But we also decided we were rolling the dice and we won't be going again too soon. Our county, Brunswick, had held steady at about 40 cases, 2 deaths, until the beaches were opened and rentals allowed. Two weeks later, cases were climbing. We are at 368 cases now. Most between ages 24 and 38. Some restaurants are closing because their staff were infected. My gut feeling is that 80% of restaurant customers are tourists.

^^ Here in the Phoenix area, all of the "Winter Visitors," AKA Snow Birds have gone home for the summer. Yet we now have the highest growth in Covid cases in the US.

^^ Like COVID-19, foolishness knows no boundaries.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Let's move the Covid discussions to that thread...
    Regards,

Duncan

Around my area in Michigan restaurants were allowed to open up 2 weeks ago. All restaurant employees are wearing masks, but some are sticking to strict social distancing / half capacity rules and others are doing business as usual. We have been out to 3 places since things opened up. Two of them were totally following the rules while the 3rd place you would never know COVID was even happening.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Cool, thanks for keeping me updated. Not sure what a "Hurrycane" is?
    Any word on your knee surgery? July is just around the corner.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Any word on your knee surgery? July is just around the corner.
    It is scheduled for July 29, so I still have a little over a month to go. I am riding my exercise bike almost every day and trying to get myself in the best shape that I can before the surgery.

It is scheduled for July 29, so I still have a little over a month to go. I am riding my exercise bike almost every day and trying to get myself in the best shape that I can before the surgery.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm claiming Victory this month with my 85yo Mother!

I Finally got her to realize that she needs to Stop Driving. Found out that the Diabetically induced Neural Nerophathy has blocked all feeling to her feet and she cant tell when her feet are on the pedals so she has been putting the car in "Park" whenever she arrives at a stop light. Also driving only once a week has dulled her skills. The Auto insurance is outrageous for an octogenarian who has Never filed a claim nor Ever received a ticket! I find that stat Amazing as that woman has Always had a lead foot but she's never been busted!
    Anyway, with Covid-19 and the "lockdown" procedures at her retirement community since last March, she has realized she can get by without her car. I snatched the opportunity and sold her 2011 Ford (only 21,900 miles) for high book value in a matter of hours. One brother fine with that.....the other brother pitched a hissy-fit (naturally, since he has been using her car to commute to work and put on 3/4 of the total miles)

So, we no longer need to worry about the old lady running over pedestrians or denting guardrails in parking garages. And she is saving about $250.00/ month in insurance and licensing. And.....best of all.....the 58yo son has to now use his own car to get to work.

You know....I'm getting tired of being the "bad cop" in the dealings with my mother....The older brother is the "good cop" and the little brother is the thorn in everyone's side as he cannot accept our mother is no longer 40 anymore.....I'm sure many of you are also in the same Drama............
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Word of advice: tell the orthopedist NOT, repeat *NOT* to use the latest greatest knee implant. Opt instead for something more tried and true. Absolutely no testing or clinical trials are required for medical devices to hit the market. If you use the latest, greatest implant, YOU'RE the clinical trial.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Word of advice: tell the orthopedist NOT, repeat *NOT* to use the latest greatest knee implant. Opt instead for something more tried and true. Absolutely no testing or clinical trials are required for medical devices to hit the market. If you use the latest, greatest implant, YOU'RE the clinical trial.
    I live in Kalamazoo MI which is the home to Stryker Corporation. Among other things, they make knee implants. They are a huge company here and my implant will for sure be one of theirs: https://www.stryker.com/us/en/portfo...ment/knee.html

^^ Fun fact: Kalamazoo is the former home of the Gibson Musical Instrument Company. But living there, you probably knew that already.

^^ Fun fact: Kalamazoo is the former home of the Gibson Musical Instrument Company. But living there, you probably knew that already.
    Yup, Gibson guitars were founded here in Kalamazoo in 1902 and were a major employer until they moved to Nashville in the 80's. When I was growing up a lot of big acts would play in Kalamazoo just because the Gibson factory was here. When they decided to move it was a pretty big blow to the areas economy. Today, part of the old Gibson factory is the home of Heritage Guitars. A much smaller operation, but they make really quality stuff.

Within the past week, my old age forgetfulness became fortuitous. Over the weekend, my neighborhood experienced a brief, localized power outage. In the process of unplugging everything to prevent power surge damage when the power came back on, I turned off the water heater breaker, so it wouldn't blow a heating coil. After a couple of days, I realized I forgot to turn the damned thing back on. I discovered with the heater in a hot outdoor storage shed, in 110+ degree weather, the 40 gallons in the tank is pretty much self heating...certainly warm enough to take a comfortable shower. There's no need to have it energized, running up my electric bill in a time of heavy a/c usage. The only time I really need it on is while doing a load of whites. I have enough socks and skivvies to last about a month and a half, two months. That's what it takes to fill the washer into a doable load.

The water heater has a thermostat. It will only come on if the water cools sufficiently. It’s probably been off since your 110 degree weather started. Wanna Save money? Turn the thermostat down.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I have enough socks and skivvies to last about a month and a half, two months. That's what it takes to fill the washer into a doable load.
    You must have a lot of those, or not change them on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    The water heater has a thermostat. It will only come on if the water cools sufficiently. It’s probably been off since your 110 degree weather started. Wanna Save money? Turn the thermostat down.
    Not too low though 120 is a recco.
    Lower and Dishwasher might not get things as clean. And you might get bacteria growth in the tank or pipes.
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Not too low though 120 is a recco.
    Lower and Dishwasher might not get things as clean. And you might get bacteria growth in the tank or pipes.
    I never use the dishwasher. It's too noisy, and heats the house too much, creating a temperature imbalance in which the downstairs is hotter than the upstairs. Since the thermostat is upstairs, it's easy to see how big a problem that is. Not to mention, it never made sense to me to wash dishes by hand, just so I can wash them again in the dishwasher.

I never use the dishwasher. It's too noisy, and heats the house too much, creating a temperature imbalance in which the downstairs is hotter than the upstairs. Since the thermostat is upstairs, it's easy to see how big a problem that is. Not to mention, it never made sense to me to wash dishes by hand, just so I can wash them again in the dishwasher.
    Same here. Nothing beats good old elbow grease. It also saves on power and water. Dishwashers just take unnecessary space in the kitchen. I would rather have another storage space.

Quote Originally Posted by chesterlamb View Post
    Same here. Nothing beats good old elbow grease. It also saves on power and water. Dishwashers just take unnecessary space in the kitchen. I would rather have another storage space.
    Bah - humbug!

Sorry, I don't subscribe to this at all.

I've never understood why people do this! I put the dirty dishes in the washer, they come out clean and dry. The end.

My time is far more valuable than the very small financial saving I'd gain from doing them by hand.
    Regards,

Duncan

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ Yeah. I'll admit I give a quick scrape and rinse, but otherwise same. I don't know anyome who has a dishwasher who washes the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.

Also that thing is a lifesaver. I have a bad back due to an accident and not having to stand at the sink for long periods of time to wash dishes is wonderful.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.