Page 171 of 238 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181221 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,275 of 5932

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    I'll be 40 next month, and I not only feel it, but I know it.... An athlete is done by my age, and as a musician/writer, I feel like I have minutes left. I guess I haven't accepted failure, even though I feel it. Especially the poverty, the lack of recognition, never being able to jam with guys I thought I would... I've actually avoided reading old notebooks because of all the hopes and dreams... I even told myself to stop looking at old pictures of myself playing all over the world, because it didn't matter. You get up, go to another country, and you start from scratch - even in your own hometown, or what's left of it.
    Well, I still have a picture of myself when I was almost 25 hanging on my wall.

As a composer, I still feel I'm able to write music and perhaps getting better.

I'll be 40 next month, and I not only feel it, but I know it.... An athlete is done by my age, and as a musician/writer, I feel like I have minutes left. I guess I haven't accepted failure, even though I feel it. Especially the poverty, the lack of recognition, never being able to jam with guys I thought I would... I've actually avoided reading old notebooks because of all the hopes and dreams... I even told myself to stop looking at old pictures of myself playing all over the world, because it didn't matter. You get up, go to another country, and you start from scratch - even in your own hometown, or what's left of it.
    40?!? Young whippersnapper!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

40? You are probably younger than 2/3's of the people on this site! I always had a basketball and sneakers in my car to be ready for whatever pickup game I could find. Or go shoot by myself. Well last year I took it out and probably should have done it earlier. I'm trying to ride my bike some more and pick up some new hobbies. Still working or trying to. You still got a long way to go. It goes fast so try to enjoy it as best you can.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Well, I still have a picture of myself when I was almost 25 hanging on my wall.

As a composer, I still feel I'm able to write music and perhaps getting better.
    the only photo of myself i kept around at all was me with one of my favorite musicians. I do not like looking at myself.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    the only photo of myself i kept around at all was me with one of my favorite musicians. I do not like looking at myself.
    Well, I like the picture and it is a memory. I was goodlooking then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Well, I like the picture and it is a memory. I was goodlooking then.
    I don't like looking at pictures of myself, except those of when I was a baby or up to 5 or so. The rest make me kind of sad, either because of how young I used to be or because of how goofy I used to be. I have on the bureau pictures of me holding my kids in their pajamas when they were 1 and 4. Heck, they are in their 30s now.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I don't like looking at pictures of myself, except those of when I was a baby or up to 5 or so. The rest make me kind of sad, either because of how young I used to be or because of how goofy I used to be. I have on the bureau pictures of me holding my kids in their pajamas when they were 1 and 4. Heck, they are in their 30s now.
    The picture is made by a guy who studied at the art academy, so it's more than just a picture.

Im 42 and I have to tell you -- stop being so negative. My fucking husband died at 40 for chrissakes -- dont feel like your life is over too.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ This thread is getting me down! I’m 58, and heading to the gym…

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    Im 42 and I have to tell you -- stop being so negative. My fucking husband died at 40 for chrissakes -- dont feel like your life is over too.
    I'm with ya, Wease.

I just turned 65 - supposed to be the "official" retirement age. But retirement won't happen for another 5 years.

By choice, and by significant effort, I'd like to think I'm still mentally and physically younger than most 45-year-olds. I'm racing bicycles and climbing mountains and actively working, managing a mixed-generation team of professionals.

That doesn't happen by luck, though. To remain in good mental and physical condition it's been necessary to follow a strict, disciplined training regimen ... which I started at age 50.

In my 40s I was unhealthy and headed for an early old-age. But courtesy of lifestyle and diet and attitude changes, I'm "younger" now than I was at age 49.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I'm with ya, Wease.

I just turned 65 - supposed to be the "official" retirement age. But retirement won't happen for another 5 years.

By choice, and by significant effort, I'd like to think I'm still mentally and physically younger than most 45-year-olds. I'm racing bicycles and climbing mountains and actively working, managing a mixed-generation team of professionals.

That doesn't happen by luck, though. To remain in good mental and physical condition it's been necessary to follow a strict, disciplined training regimen ... which I started at age 50.

In my 40s I was unhealthy and headed for an early old-age. But courtesy of lifestyle and diet and attitude changes, I'm "younger" now than I was at age 49.
    Hell Yes! All the respect for you in the world!

I'm with ya, Wease.

Or ... there's this:

Old.jpg
    (Click to expand)
    Regards,

Duncan

Or ... there's this:

Old.jpg
    (Click to expand)
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    I still don't feel old. I still ride my bike at a reasonable speed and without electrical help. So come on, life begins at 66.

I'm with ya, Wease.

On a more serious note, it never bothered me when I turned 40.............17 years ago. As they say, life begins at 40.

I'm doing my usual thing on weekends. I'm at this pub. The barkeep is a good guy. Not sure the conversation started but he mentioned his ailing father (78yo). He tells me his dad told him, no resuscitation whatsoever. Dad says.. .. .why would I wanna be resuscitated? So I can die again?..lol

I caught Covid-19 three weeks ago (single boosted) It ran roughshod at my workplace. Thirteen employees in same general area got it. All are fine and back at work within 10 days. For me it was like a mild flu for three days without the intestinal issues.

I feel bad for my 92 year old mother, multiple teeth have fallen out.

^ Glad to see you are OK, Bob. Sorry to hear about your mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I caught Covid-19 three weeks ago (single boosted) It ran roughshod at my workplace. Thirteen employees in same general area got it. All are fine and back at work within 10 days. For me it was like a mild flu for three days without the intestinal issues.

I feel bad for my 92 year old mother, multiple teeth have fallen out.
    That sucks. Glad you're better. Best wishes to your mother.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

You know yer old when the young, wise cracking bartender greets you as "young man."

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    You know yer old when the young, wise cracking bartender greets you as "young man."
    Or when everyone starts describing your age as "years young."

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Or they want to cut you in half and count the rings.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

...or they just assume that you qualify for a "senior discount"
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I bloody hate that.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.