Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I wonder how many little kids ralphed after spinning around on that thing for a while. Makes me dizzy just looking at it.
    Pretty sure it was about 90%. I remember when I was young and at a county fair, there was a spinning ride that was making a lot of kids sick. So my brother and I HAD to try it just before we went home. My brother made it almost across the fairgrounds before he blew out his stomach contents on top of another kid's puke. I remember my brother saying, "Corn, where did they get corn?" I spewed in the grass in the parking lot. Good times.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    - I remember that too!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Regarding being a geezer :

My Dad passed away last Tuesday. (Aged 93 - he had a good inning.)

I haven't been around much because he lived overseas - so my wife and I got PCR'd, flew out-of-country on Friday, helped set up the memorial service which was held yesterday. (Only 30 live attendees, but about another 40-or-so via Zoom.)

The invitation specifically stated that only vaccinated attendees were invited to the memorial service. Yet - after the service we learned that 2 of them weren't! Fuckwads!

Anyway - I'll be overseas for a few more weeks, but will check in from time-to-time...
    Regards,

Duncan

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Deepest sympathy on the loss of your dad.

Be well, Duncan. Rock on in his honor!

Yeah, Duncan, very sorry to read that. Hang in there. We'll be thinking about you.

Sorry for your loss Duncan.

Please accept my sincere condolences Duncan.

Sincere condolences.

So sorry to hear this. May he rest in eternal peace.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

What was your father's career? How many children did he have? What was he like?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Very sorry to hear about your Dad, Duncan. Sincere sympathy.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Duncan, sorry for your loss. Never a good time, but these times are very trying.
    Seek Peace.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Sorry, Duncan. 93 is quite a ride, though.
    "Don't look here. The joke's in your hand."

- Public Restroom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Ours just came in today. Just in time for a memorial service with strangers. Luckily, the family had a sign outside requiring masks.

One guy was without a mask. A son of the deceased.
    AAAAAAAND guess who just tested positive. The family of the deceased. (We just found out from my daughter who is the girlfriend of another son of the deceased. But they are both negative.) We were with them five days ago and now have to isolate. I'm VERY confident that we are not infected. We are all vaxxed, wore new N95 masks and used hand sanitizer. My wife did hug the widow, though. And I shook one hand (but did use sanitizer afterward). But, we are hoping they got infected after we left the service, which was early and shortly after arriving.

- Public Restroom Wall

And I shook one hand (but did use sanitizer afterward).
    I'm still very iffy on hand shaking. I rather fist bump, if there needs to be a physical acknowledgement. Overall, I rather say, how ya doing, and proceed from there without contact.

I thought that they had determined that the virus rarely transfers through contact?

My sympathies Duncan.

My Dad passed three years ago just short of 90 and I miss him so damn much!

Sorry to hear this Duncan.
    My dad died December 2020, aged 92, My aunt died in May, on my birthday, short for her 90th birthday, a nephew of my dad, who almost had the same name as my dad, died last December, aged 91 and this month my neighbour died.
    I still really miss my dad and sometimes dream about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I'm still very iffy on hand shaking. I rather fist bump, if there needs to be a physical acknowledgement. Overall, I rather say, how ya doing, and proceed from there without contact.
    I don't see them any differently. They are both physical contact.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I thought that they had determined that the virus rarely transfers through contact?
    That was before Omicron and doesn't mean never. And, as we know, they are still learning about this and the Omicron variant is extraordinarily transmissible.

- Public Restroom Wall

Thanks for the kind messages!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    What was your father's career? How many children did he have? What was he like?
    Civil engineer, with many very impressive accomplishments to his name. 4 kids, all flourishing, with good families. He left quite a legacy.

Sorry, Duncan. 93 is quite a ride, though.
    Agreed! And his older brother also made it to 93 - so here's hoping that longevity is genetic
    Regards,

Duncan

I read the story of Czech singer Hanka Horka who decided to infect herself with COVID-19 instead taking vaccination, just to die of COVID-19.

I found her on Spotify.

She had an incredible voice, sang (in Czech language) in a folk band that would appeal to fans of Renaissance, Gryphon, Amazing Blondel, Sandy Danny ….

I can only say what a shame!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ There's a very well-known phrase that describes this situation, but I'll keep it to myself.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Y'all will probably think I'm nuts, but back around Thanksgiving my wife and I went to a bar where no one was wearing masks to see a couple of friends play a gig. It was a strange feeling to be without masks near so many unmasked people (at work we wear them unless just sitting at our desks). We saw friends we hadn't seen in several months. A couple weeks later we learned that at least 6 people developed symptoms....4 of whom we had hugged. I guess we were lucky.

Okay, so two of those friends it turns out were unvaccinated and got (most likely) Delta. We had dinner with them about a week ago. They are apparently conspiracy theorists. They were changing which daycare their son (2 years old) goes to because the current daycare was going to make him wear a mask. They insist that wearing masks will make their child autistic and that 20% of kids are becoming autistic due to masks. They also said that they purposely tried to infect their kids while they were sick - "we were practically coughing in their faces". I mean, even if you think it's unlikely they'd get it how would you forgive yourself if they died from it? I just don't understand the thinking. I'd always assumed the instinct from anti-vaxxers (when it came to their kids) was out of a fear of protecting the kids. This just seems like a total non sequitur.

You can imagine the incredulous looks we got from the other restaurant patrons while this whole conversation was taking place and I was certainly questioning my judgment in agreeing to meet. But we figured they've been over covid for over a month so they'd/we'd be fine.
    <sig out of order>

My condolences Duncan.