Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

  1. #3326
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,628
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Everybody is different and it affects different age groups differently. It is an indication that it's working, but it doesn't mean those who had no reaction were any less protected, from what I understand.
    Depends on how long since the shots. The Israelis vaccinated a million in Dec Jan, and waning immunity for older people drove the need for the booster for 65+. Verdict is not here on younger.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  2. #3327
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am not going to post this on regular social media because it is not really for public knowledge, but my wife nor any of her family are members of this board, and it is relevant so here goes. My wife's brother and wife live near Dallas Texas as do 1 one of their sons who is married with two kids. The brother, wife and son were all ardent anti-vaxxers who constantly made their opinions known about COVID not being a serious threat. The son's wife thought they were all nuts and got herself vaccinated. A couple of weeks ago one of the grandkids came down with a mild cold. Within a few days the son got sick. Turns out it was COVID. The son ended up spending 5 days in the hospital very ill. His wife, who had been vaccinated, did not get sick at all. Then a week later his parents (Laurel's brother and his wife) both got sick with COVID. Her brother had cold symptoms, but so far that is it, but his wife has been in the hospital for almost 2 weeks now and is currently in ICU in bad shape. Whether or not she will survive or have any long term impact is up in the air at this point.

    Although I have known about 20 or so people who have had COVID, this is the first time that it has directly impacted within the family and of course the sad thing is that this did not have to happen if they had been vaccinated. Get the vaccine folks!
    Just as an update, she passed away last week. Very sad situation and totally preventable. Get vaccinated folks.....

  3. #3328
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,489
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Just as an update, she passed away last week. Very sad situation and totally preventable. Get vaccinated folks.....
    Oh jeeze, that is horrible.
    It is so hard for me to understand the thought process that puts people in that situation.
    Right before their eyes and still ....
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  4. #3329
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    9,368
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Right before their eyes and still ....
    Nothing is more powerful than the power of belief.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  5. #3330
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Oh jeeze, that is horrible.
    It is so hard for me to understand the thought process that puts people in that situation.
    Right before their eyes and still ....
    It boggles my mind as well. Not to make this political, but she was very very right wing and huge Trump supporter. Got all of her news from Fox. I am not sure she was so much anti-vax as just thought the whole pandemic was a big joke. Fortunately her husband, and son who also got it came out ok. As mentioned before, her daughter in law, who was vaccinated, did not catch it.

  6. #3331
    Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    4,268
    So sorry for your loss, SteveSly.

  7. #3332
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Nothing is more powerful than the power of belief.
    The power of the con.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It boggles my mind as well. Not to make this political, ....
    You didn't make it political. They did.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  8. #3333
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    9,368
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The power of the con.
    The con requires belief on the part of the mark in order to work, so the power of belief is still greater. The power of belief moves individuals and nations. It can supersede the 5 senses and learned knowledge. In this species, it has no peer.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 09-07-2021 at 08:24 AM.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  9. #3334
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,628
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Nothing is more powerful than the power of belief.
    The bell curve is real and beautiful.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  10. #3335
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    9,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The bell curve is real and beautiful.
    ??
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  11. #3336
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The con requires belief on the part of the mark in order to work, so the power of belief is still greater. The power of belief moves individuals and nations. It can supersede the 5 senses and learned knowledge. In this species, it has no peer.
    Well, they pretty much go hand-in-hand.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  12. #3337
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    2,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The bell curve is real and beautiful.
    The part where there are a handful a super geniuses at the high end, a handful of profoundly developmentally disabled at the low end, and everyone else falling somewhere in between is true. The part which attributes race as a factor is complete and utter BS. I personally have worked with 2 African-Americans, and 3 Latinos, and 1 indigenous First National with genius level IQ's.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  13. #3338
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,628
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The part where there are a handful a super geniuses at the high end, a handful of profoundly developmentally disabled at the low end, and everyone else falling somewhere in between is true. The part which attributes race as a factor is complete and utter BS. I personally have worked with 2 African-Americans, and 3 Latinos, and 1 indigenous First National with genius level IQ's.
    There are not enough bits in your representation of intelligence or race. Race in the US is a something that is a huge product of genes from around the world. For example labeling African American when 80% of African Americans have Western European genes is worthless. Not to mention IQ tests are not good for differentiating above 125. Also, perhaps more important for productive intelligence could be dwell time and time limited IQ test don’t measure that.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  14. #3339
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Race in the US is a something that is a huge product of genes from around the world. For example labeling African American when 80% of African Americans have Western European genes is worthless.
    I prefer to let our African Americans friends make that decision.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  15. #3340
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    2,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    There are not enough bits in your representation of intelligence or race. Race in the US is a something that is a huge product of genes from around the world. For example labeling African American when 80% of African Americans have Western European genes is worthless. Not to mention IQ tests are not good for differentiating above 125. Also, perhaps more important for productive intelligence could be dwell time and time limited IQ test don’t measure that.
    My point was the entire premise of the Bell Curve book was an attempt to prove the superiority of the white "race." Simply stating there's a curve of intelligence, in which there's a massive bulge in the center made up by perfectly average humans does not require an entire book. At most, it would require a 2 or 3 page report......if that report is double spaced with 2 inch margins. Anecdotally, the number of white geniuses I've encountered, versus the number of other races is consistent with the overall population density of each race. In other words, the percentage would be the same across racial boundries. In my own experience, race has no role whatsoever in a person's intelligence.
    Last edited by progmatist; 09-14-2021 at 04:17 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  16. #3341
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,628
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    My point was the entire premise of the Bell Curve book was an attempt to prove the superiority of the white "race." Simply stating there's a curve of intelligence, in which there's a massive bulge in the center made up by perfectly average humans does not require an entire book. At most, it would require a 2 or 3 page report......if that report is double spaced with 2 inch margins.
    You didn’t state the Bell Curve reference until now. Bell Curve to me has nothing to do with a book, other than perhaps a book on probability. I never implied anything about race other than making a judgement about race is not supported, you did. There is a normal distribution for every characteristic observed in large numbers. I made a purposely ambiguous statement to see what people would say and you clearly identified your prejudice which helps you state everything as black or white, 1 or zero.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  17. #3342
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,628
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I prefer to let our African Americans friends make that decision.
    What decision? There is no decision except in your head.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  18. #3343
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    What decision? There is no decision except in your head.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  19. #3344
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    What decision? There is no decision except in your head.
    "For example labeling African American when 80% of African Americans have Western European genes is worthless."

    Is it not a decision to label people as African Americans? I prefer to allow people to label themselves and not have others decide whether or not their label has worth. What's so hard to understand?
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  20. #3345
    Member Camelogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lovetron
    Posts
    2,669
    Had my annual "wellness" visit yesterday. Got flu shot, shingles shot, cortisone shot in elbow, and blood drawn.

    I hope I don't start leaking.

    Cholesterol good, blood pressure good, weight down 20 lbs (hopefully can lose another 25 in a year.)

  21. #3346
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Had my annual "wellness" visit yesterday. Got flu shot, shingles shot, cortisone shot in elbow, and blood drawn.

    I hope I don't start leaking.

    Cholesterol good, blood pressure good, weight down 20 lbs (hopefully can lose another 25 in a year.)
    How is the Shingles shot?
    ———————————————————————————

    The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long day’s toil.

  22. #3347
    Member LASERCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    How is the Shingles shot?
    Brutal. Absolutely brutal. There are two of them, six months apart.

  23. #3348
    Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    4,268
    I thought the Shingrix shot was just like any other shot. You get them 2 to 6 months apart, and I think mine were a little less than 3 months apart. What's brutal is getting shingles, so to avoid getting shingles in my eye like my aunt and father had happen, or to have severe pain in an arm like 2 former coworkers experienced. I got mine as soon as I found out that I was old enough.

  24. #3349
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,807
    I had no issue with the Shingles shot, now the actual Shingles was brutal.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  25. #3350
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    5,183
    My second Shingles shot gave me the fever and chills for about 16 hours. But yeah, still better than getting the Shingles.

    I did my last walk outside today. For tomorrow into next May I'll be hitting the treadmill. I upped my outdoor mileage this year and did it in less time, pretty good considering I'm often limping. I often wake up with a stiff back and nothing eases it like that morning walk before breakfast.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •