Page 244 of 250 FirstFirst ... 144194234240241242243244245246247248 ... LastLast
Results 6,076 to 6,100 of 6240

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Just had a “kid” ask me what was the significance of this was…..Attachment 17611
    Well, for some people you press that when you drive on the interstate, for some reason.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

It’s like the kid who asks if Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings…..
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I went to the terra incognita on Friday and had a seizure an was out for 3 minutes. The band just started and stopped playing. My best friend made sure an ambulance was called and they took my out of the venue. The prog family clapped and the band dedicated their show to me. I got to the hospital and they soon figured out I need open heart surgery with, as I noted before, bad kidneys. A bit more risky. In waiting for a bed at the heart institute in Ottawa. They're waiting for a bed here in Ottawa here in Quebec city. I lost my son two years ago so the current situation Is less of a challenge. I'm mentally strong and optimistic. Hoping for the best. Spread the word to my PE friends nd I appreciate the support. The kidneys likely causes my arteries in my heart to deteriorate. I can also be reached be PM.
    Oh HELL, Greg! So sorry to read this. Heal well, old friend - and in your honor I will sip on a single malt tonight, while listening to so Allman Bros.

Keep us posted.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I was very introverted or painfully shy in the 70s and 80s. I became involved with the commercial side to the music business whether that be in cover bands or original and people were constantly bothering me about being to distant and persuaded me to open up which was the biggest mistake of my life.

In 1979 I retreated to a house by the woods with my first wife ( RIP) and I spent about 2 years away from the road. I was traveling a lot in 78' and 79' ...6 nights a week and playing covers of Tull, Genesis, Rush..and more. When I stopped my body collapsed and mentally incapable of waking up early. It took me a month to get on track, but it was definitely weird and felt unnatural.

My wife and I lived in this house by the woods and we listened to many Gong albums...Hatfield and the North...Guru Guru...and just loads of European underground Progressive Rock. I was nuts buying hundreds of albums in Philadelphia and N.Y. but I made excellent money on the road and took the opportunity of that advantage. My favorite was David Bedford and I collected everything I could find.

My wife and I lived in a fantasy world. I was really introverted. Sometimes friends stopped by the house and they had difficulties understanding why I was studying Classical guitar with my father and they pressed me to believe that I was making a huge mistake and that clearly there was no money to be made in pursuing that.

I wasn't expressing myself openly and I wasn't good at socializing. People continued to pressure me to do so. I resisted at this point. I was really happy living in that house. It was piece of mind and I could never find that on the road.

By 81' I went back to traveling except this time it was the national circuit. I ended up in a circle of strange people who were manic depressive types. Nypsy Russell and David Brenner...Larry Seth...and others were impressionable to me at age 23. I was naive and didn't realize that they were miserable from the business. Opening for Doc Severison Band was exciting. They were super talented and it was an honor. ..but whenever I got a few days off I retreated back to that house by the woods.

The act of committing suicide became a more common occurrence in that business. Not only musicians I traveled on the bus with but eventually people like Tom Evans who I used to see but never met. Probably around the time that Badfinger released Say No More and then either 83' or 84'?...the back up musicians for Badfinger were in the dressing room with us telling us all about the tragic incident. They seemed to know him well and they basically sat shaking their heads back and forth with doubtful looks on their faces....saying that they made a huge mistake getting involved with Badfinger in the first place and that the band was like a weird nightmare.

Most of my dreams were shattered by people's extreme actions and the example they set. People kept saying to open up . Because of the business. Because the bad experiences would eat me alive if I didn't. When I began to open up it ruined my life. It attracted the wrong people to me in that business. I was better off being naive...or inexperienced with life. I liked being distant and in my own world. If I had to live that life again I definitely would have stayed distant. A lot of musicians play the national circuit. It's very common to occur in life. However I feel that the time period when I became involved with it and the experiences were unusual and possibly not common...
    Interesting read, thanks for posting! It provides just that bit more appreciation of the bands we see playing on tour.

How have things in life progressed in more recent years?
    Regards,

Duncan

Just had a “kid” ask me what was the significance of this was…..Attachment 17611

It’s like the kid who asks if Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings…..
    Just yesterday at work, a young Latina had no idea who Carlos Santana is. Asking me about my Santana t-shirt. But she knows who the Beatles are.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Just yesterday at work, a young Latina had no idea who Carlos Santana is. Asking me about my Santana t-shirt. But she knows who the Beatles are.
    She must not follow baseball.
    In college I had a classmate named Jeff Beck who sometimes wore a Jeff Beck T shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    She must not follow baseball.
    In college I had a classmate named Jeff Beck who sometimes wore a Jeff Beck T shirt.

I remember chatting with some woman online a long time ago from Germany who didn't know who Tangerine Dream or Eloy was. The only German band she knew was Kraftwerk. She was maybe in her 20s but still.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

While working at a client, I met a woman named Holly Matchet. So I said it was nice to meet someone who was into hard rock ... and she didn't know what I was talking about.

I told her about the band, and she thought I was making it up - until I showed her this web page : http://mollyhatchet.com/MollyHatchet/

(In fairness she'd recently married, and didn't grow up with that name.)
    Regards,

Duncan

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Happy to report that the second round of steroids resulted in remission of cluster headaches! Still avoiding ETOH (not a fan anyway) but was thrilled to be able to go to a show (Furious Bongos, a Zappa tribute band from Wisconsin) without needing to leave because of headache...

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    While working at a client, I met a woman named Holly Matchet. So I said it was nice to meet someone who was into hard rock ... and she didn't know what I was talking about.
    Reminds me of Roy Wood naming his daughter Holly.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Happy to report that the second round of steroids resulted in remission of cluster headaches! Still avoiding ETOH (not a fan anyway) but was thrilled to be able to go to a show (Furious Bongos, a Zappa tribute band from Wisconsin) without needing to leave because of headache...
    Glad to hear it, Rick. Hopefully, the good news will continue.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I remember chatting with some woman online a long time ago from Germany who didn't know who Tangerine Dream or Eloy was. The only German band she knew was Kraftwerk. She was maybe in her 20s but still.
    Even though I am a prog rock fan, I did not discover Eloy until in the 00's. I never knew they existed. The whole Italian prog scene escaped me too until years later too.

I posted this on my Facebook page today for anyone interested, so some of you may have seen this, but figured I would post it here too. My first surgery was today:

John Lennon once said, “Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans.” That kind of fits my situation this spring and summer. Anyone who knows me knows I am on the go all the time and always have a full calendar. This summer was no different, but for now everything is on hold.

For anyone interested here is the story so far: As some of you already know I have been dealing with what I thought was an injury to my left knee that happened the week after Cruise To The Edge back in March. Both of my knees had been replaced in 2020 and everything was great. I am normally a highly active person who walks several miles every day, rides my exercise bike and works out with weights. I hike, bowl, play golf, and generally got along great with my new knees and was in pretty decent shape for a 62-year-old man. One morning back in March I woke up in Florida with extreme pain in my left knee and it was very swollen. It came out of the blue and I assumed that I had injured the knee when I had knelt on a hard wood floor the night before. I went to the emergency room where they determined that there was no damage to the replaced knee joint, but I could only walk with crutches it was so painful. When we got back to Kalamazoo I went in to see my orthopedic doctors assistant. She had X-ray, and an ultrasound done and we started treating the knee as an injury with physical therapy. After a few weeks, the pain and range of motion improved to the point where I could walk without a cane, but the knee was still very swollen and still had much more pain than it should have by this point. I met with my surgeon and he decided to do some blood tests just to be on the safe side. Unfortunately, those blood test results came back wonky. To further investigate a week later I underwent a knee aspiration procedure where it was discovered that I had an infection in the knee joint To make a long story short it was determined that the infection was the problem all along and I did not have an injury. Unfortunately, infections in artificial joints are not easy to fix. The infection is an exceedingly rare form of Streptococcus and in the history of artificial knee replacement there are only a few confirmed cases of it showing up in a replacement knee joint. My surgeon has personally never seen it in a knee in his 30 years of practice. How I got the bug is a mystery, but apparently I won the bacteria lottery. It is a bug that commonly appears in the mouth, so that is probably how it got in although I had not had any dental procedures for several months prior to the infection. The knee treatment will be a 2-stage process:

• Surgery to remove the current knee replacement joint. An antibiotic spacer inserted and I will be on IV antibiotics at home for at least 6 weeks possibly longer. I will have a PICC line installed in my arm while here in the hospital for this.

• Assuming the infection is eventually eradicated I will have a second surgery to install a new permanent replacement knee joint in 3 to 4 months. Recovery after that point will be similar to what I went through in 2020. During the interim period I will only be able to walk with a walker or crutches.

• Another twist in this tale is that this particular infection has been known to attack the heart. This will also be checked out while in the hospital. If positive that will present it’s own challenges.

I will post updates on Facebook as things progress, so we’ll see where this all goes. I am very thankful to have decent health insurance, a stable home, and Laurel to help me through this. It is definitely going to be a different summer than I anticipated. Stay tuned………

^ Good luck and best wishes, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Good luck and best wishes, Steve.

Wow….the usual lighthearted geezer thread has suddenly become real!
    Had a spine MRI today….,no real pillow. (support) It was a LONG 25 minute test! Been a while since I had uncontrollable moaning from the shooting pain…..stuck with it though as no break meant it would all be over faster.

Told the tech I have another MRI scheduled. She asked where an I said prostrate. “Oh, we don’t do THAT test here…..so….what the hell does a prostrate MRI involve???? ��
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Ember
    I've been horribly claustrophobic my whole life. (First triggered, I think, when I saw the movie of Poe's "The Premature Burial" at a Saturday matinee when I was 11. But I digress.)

MRIs and other tests that stick me head-first into a tube have been torture for me. I can't do it without drugs, but they won't let you go to sleep because they need your active cooperation. The past few years -- spine, heart, kidneys -- had been difficult, but I found a workaround that's been very successful the last couple of times (lumbar spine and the rare cardiac MRI, of which I have another in a couple of weeks). This is based on the understanding that claustrophobia is psychological; it's real, buy the solutions to phobia are likewise psychological. So (in addition to the Valium, of course), here's what I do:

Before entering the testing space, and before ever seeing the machine, don a blindfold. A 100% effective one. Put on the headphones that they can talk to you through. Then, have the attendants or your support person help you walk backwards to the table, lie down, get settled and comfortable. all without ever seeing or hearing the tube.

If you don't experience the change from open to confined, your fear of being confined won't be triggered. Knowing you're inside the tube isn't the same as experiencing, feeling that your inside a tube. And for me, at least, the claustrophobia was never triggered.

I offer this for the claustrophobes among us. I envy those who are not. And of course, this won't help with the discomfort, such as having to lie still on a hard gurney on your back when terrible back pain is why you're there in the first place.

I've never had a prostate MRI, thanks be, but I know they are done in hospitals because they involve injecting IV contrast dye, and because they also involve inserting an anal probe. I suppose it could be done in a flying saucer, too, but usually a hospital.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

I tend to avoid this thread because of all the bad news, but once in a while I do check in to see what's happening.

For the past 2 years, I've been paranoid about retirement. The numbers looked good in my head but I finally met with a financial retirement planner. I also have a financial planner. My wife and I met with our retirement planner for two sessions (1.25 hours each). He ran all kinds of numbers into a computer program. He said we are at 125% of a rating until we're 90 years old. This include a southern stay to escape the cold Ottawa weathers for 2 months. I can't believe how much a relief this is for us.
    I'm starting to ponder on my retirement - normally planned in 07/28 - and see how I can get away early without too much penalties.
    I'm getting at the point where I tend to be reluctant with most new changes (informatics) and dislike much of the way society is moving into "progressive territories" (woke & LGBT+ stuff being shoved 10 times daily down everybody's throat), that will force a reactionary violence, so I'd want to find some hideout, far away from it and let myself become a curmudgeon, like I always suspected I would become.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I slowly became more extroverted over the course of my life. Although I have always had close friends I was very much an introvert in my teens. When I was in my 20's I worked as a waiter, bartender and eventually assistant restaurant manager. Working with the public forced me out of my shell a lot. When I got into leadership and then management with Pfizer in my late 30's I really had to work on changing myself. Today I would probably be considered an extrovert in all aspects of my life, but it is something I had to work on over time.
    TBH, I was never really a very social person in terms of befriending colleagues. Not that I didn't like some colleagues, but I saw them on the job and rarely felt the need to see them outside ) except for the odd beer in a bar. Female colleagues are a little different (I've had a few affairs, but also shied away from a few female "advances" (this doesn't give a good rep with the fair sex, though).
    Though I must say that recently,, I've actually enjoyed seeing some colleagues for specific events (board games & cinema, for ex), so not all hopes are lost that I can become a civil person.

I went to the terra incognita on Friday and had a seizure an was out for 3 minutes. The band just started and stopped playing. My best friend made sure an ambulance was called and they took my out of the venue. The prog family clapped and the band dedicated their show to me. I got to the hospital and they soon figured out I need open heart surgery with, as I noted before, bad kidneys. A bit more risky. In waiting for a bed at the heart institute in Ottawa. They're waiting for a bed here in Ottawa here in Quebec city. I lost my son two years ago so the current situation Is less of a challenge. I'm mentally strong and optimistic. Hoping for the best. Spread the word to my PE friends nd I appreciate the support. The kidneys likely causes my arteries in my heart to deteriorate. I can also be reached be PM.
    Sorry to hear this, gReg. But was I you, I'd go for that retirement before it's too late.
    You only find out that your new life is the same one you've lived, so time to really enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Fifth year?! That's unreal. Pancreatic is so devastating. My oldest sister is going through that right now. She has an incredible support system. She lives very far away and does not reply to my texts or calls, except once in a great while. So, it's hard to know what's going on.
    Have a buddy who is on his 15 years after having major pancreatic problems (he never gave my details, but they gave him 10 months to live if he didn't watch out).
    Haven't had any news in 6 months (I'll send him an e-mail, now that I think of it), but last I know, he was going crazy on concerts

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

I told her about the band, and she thought I was making it up - until I showed her this web page : http://mollyhatchet.com/MollyHatchet/

(In fairness she'd recently married, and didn't grow up with that name.)

for the Beatles & Santana as well.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Wow….the usual lighthearted geezer thread has suddenly become real!
    Had a spine MRI today….,no real pillow. (support) It was a LONG 25 minute test! Been a while since I had uncontrollable moaning from the shooting pain…..stuck with it though as no break meant it would all be over faster.

Told the tech I have another MRI scheduled. She asked where an I said prostrate. “Oh, we don’t do THAT test here…..so….what the hell does a prostrate MRI involve???? ��
    I dealt with prostate cancer back in 2022. Looing at my notes, I chose to do the radiation route. One of the steps leading up to starting was a MRI w/o Contrast.
    I was told this was to check to see if the cancer had spread into any of the bones in that area (It did not). I believe I wrote of that experience on this thread:
    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...=1#post1106787
    Last edited by bigbassdrum; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:28 AM.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

^^^ Good luck, Steve!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Today, I turn 63. I am in generally good health. I take meds for cholesterol and high blood pressure. And I take omeprazole (a lifesaver) every day. I need to lose about 20 pounds, but my doctor says I'm "healthy." Hell, I still have mostly brown hair, except for the beard.

I feel very lucky and send my best wishes to all those here dealing with maladies.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I was taking omeprazole every day for a few years, but then I was cautioned by the doc that long-term use can have adverse effects on bone health, so I backed off and only take it on days when I know I'll be having a large meal or will be eating later than usual, maybe once a week or less. Trying to stick to low carbs has helped a lot with being able to drop weight. We also got one of those double-twin king size beds so that I can raise the head of the bed to help with reflux.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I've never had a prostate MRI, thanks be, but I know they are done in hospitals because they involve injecting IV contrast dye, and because they also involve inserting an anal probe. I suppose it could be done in a flying saucer, too, but usually a hospital.
    Great!....I've had past allergic reactions to contrast dyes. Last one had a rash-like burning / itching slowly traveling down the body over a month. The week where it was at the waste I couldn't wear pants. But.....then again, it was a time I had a lot of auto-immune problems and it could have been that.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

MRIs and other tests that stick me head-first into a tube have been torture for me...
    Is there no facility near you with an Open MRI system? It might be worth researching.

...I've never had a prostate MRI ... I suppose it could be done in a flying saucer, too...
    Conjures cartoon images in my stupid brain!
    Regards,

Duncan

Today, I turn 63...
    Happy birthday!

...And I take omeprazole (a lifesaver) every day...
    I'm the same - that has literally been a lifesaver!

As a kid growing up, and all the way into my late 40s, my GERD was extreme - and I was warned that there was a high probability of cancer forming in the lower esophagus.

Just 1 small, inexpensive tablet / day has rectified all of that and my esophagus has pretty-much returned to normal.
    Regards,

Duncan