Page 173 of 238 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183223 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 5949

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

A buddy and I stopped at a local restaurant after a concert many years ago. It happened to be karaoke night. I laughed my ass off. Then, I thought to myself that some of the participants are probably closet American Idol participants, maybe even lonely, and that was the highlight of their week, if not their lives. Then I felt kinda sad. I still laughed, though.

I still gotta hand it to people who can get up in front of a room of strangers and do that. Not for me in a million years. And I can actually sing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I was at the Elks Club. I'd guess the average age (my observation) about 70. One guy was cringe inducingly off key....

Now, there was an old geezer that had to be close to 80. He sang Nights In White Satin........and he sang it on key. I shook his hand after and I almost wanted his autograph.

I thought about joining but the application questions are a little intrusive.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I used to dismiss karaoke out of hand, but now I accept that it's fun for some people. It would be harmless, except on karaoke night some restaurants pipe the music and "singing" into every room in the building, so everyone has to hear it, whether they choose to participate or not. And many people have no idea this is going to be happening until they sit down to eat. At least, that was my experience with it, many years ago, in a town far away. I was so much younger then; I'm older than that now. I don't know if karaoke is still a thing. I never encounter it any more. Maybe the padding on my cell is soundproof
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

There is a small middle eastern cafe near my house. Good food, trying really hard.
    After the initial rush of interest was over, I think some 'fans' tried to boost business by having karaoke nights.
    We're not interested in it at all, and it sort of killed our favorite nights. We had to get in early and eat fast as the 'crew' would show up and take the place over.
    Other nights were open mic, which had the same appeal to us.
    Oh well. The place is still open. So they've got that going for themselves.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Running a karaoke group is a primary function in my job description. The idea is not to record a platinum selling album. It's to have fun and express yourself. Or to unload whatever pent up emotions you may have. If you sound bad, so effing what?
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Running a karaoke group is a primary function in my job description. The idea is not to record a platinum selling album. It's to have fun and express yourself. Or to unload whatever pent up emotions you may have. If you sound bad, so effing what?
    So .. it hurts the ears of the audience.

If the audience is willing, and if they're also participants, that's fine.

If they just went out for dinner and didn't know it was karaoke night, which has happened to me more than once, then - it's nails on a chalkboard and my meal / drinks / whatever are ruined.

So, I'm a geezer. Bah, humbug - and all that -
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I was at the Elks Club. I'd guess the average age (my observation) about 70. One guy was cringe inducingly off key....

Now, there was an old geezer that had to be close to 80. He sang Nights In White Satin........and he sang it on key. I shook his hand after and I almost wanted his autograph.

I thought about joining but the application questions are a little intrusive.
    As Groucho said " I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

If they just went out for dinner and didn't know it was karaoke night, which has happened to me more than once, then - it's nails on a chalkboard and my meal / drinks / whatever are ruined.

If you can't stand heat, don't move to Phoenix. If you can't stand karaoke, don't go to a bar or restaurant on karaoke night.

This Sunday, I'll be attending a family reunion with a bunch of elderly people in eastern PA. They're calling for 97 degrees. I am nervous as hell about this. They'll have fans there, but still. An ambulance might be nice to have on hand. Old folks are also notorious for not drinking enough water.

FFS
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^ Good luck, Ron. I'd be concerned too. Have plenty of ice water on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    This Sunday, I'll be attending a family reunion with a bunch of elderly people in eastern PA. They're calling for 97 degrees. I am nervous as hell about this. They'll have fans there, but still. An ambulance might be nice to have on hand. Old folks are also notorious for not drinking enough water.

FFS
    Back in the early Ought's (2002 I think ) we trooped out to Iowa City for wifes Grandma's birthday ( July 3rd. )
    It was not just beastly hot, but Iowa humid too.
    All the old folks were out in the garage chatting while us young people stayed in the house with A/C.
    We would take turns going out into the inferno and circulating, offering beverages and stuff, and then duck back in.
    They were like a bunch of lizards.
    I was too soft for that kind of heat, still am.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Good luck, Ron. I'd be concerned too. Have plenty of ice water on hand.
    I have been to India twice on business and I noticed that Indians don’t ask for iced water - in the hotel they would invariably ask for room temperature water - I bought it was because of the stories I’d been told about ice being made of tainted tap water, but I asked someone and he said room temperature water cools you down better than ice water. I wasn’t about to argue with him but I switched to room temperature water and found, if nothing else, I can drink a lot more of it than I can iced water.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I have been to India twice on business and I noticed that Indians don’t ask for iced water - in the hotel they would invariably ask for room temperature water - I bought it was because of the stories I’d been told about ice being made of tainted tap water, but I asked someone and he said room temperature water cools you down better than ice water. I wasn’t about to argue with him but I switched to room temperature water and found, if nothing else, I can drink a lot more of it than I can iced water.

The Chinese drink room temperature water.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    If you can't stand heat, don't move to Phoenix. If you can't stand karaoke, don't go to a bar or restaurant on karaoke night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

In both cases - the karaoke was taking a break when we arrived, and there was no indication that karaoke was underway. So we'd already ordered, and they started up again - ruining a meal out with my wife.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The British drink room temperature beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    A friend and I went to the now defunct Jackson Mountain Cafe while on a day trip to Cape May, NJ. We were having dinner and it turned out to be kareoke night. I had never been to one, had no interest in participating in one and at that moment wished we had gone to the Ugly Mug instead. The friend, who viewed himself as a daring sort, decided to do kareoke and we are looking over the list. He points out a Jefferson Airplane song and tries to convince me to do this. I told him I can make a big enough ass of myself without an audience. He selects a bunch of songs. He gets up to perform them. He literally only knew one or two lines of each song and spent the rest of each song beyond those lines staring at the screen with the lyrics. It was painful to watch.

There was also a dance thing after and he wound up convincing me to go to a night club in Wildwood that was popular at the time. It was ridiculously loud, crowded, smoke everywhere. Got pulled over by a cop leaving. He had been outside the club watching people leave. The friend came to my rescue as the cop was trying to give me issues over a damaged headlight and probably trying to get his quota of DUI arrests, even though I do not drink.
    I might've missed it in the post. What Airplane song where you going sing? (Not titled White Rabbit or Somebody To Love.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

FFS
    Well, some people didn't show up, but everyone survived, assuming nobody passed along COVID. And, believe me, my sister's family came up from deep Mississippi and I know her husband is one of those, " I-had-it-three-times-and-it-wasn't-that-bad---The-only-people-who-die-from-it-are-obese-or-smokers---Unless-you-go-to-the-hospital;-then-you-will-die" fools.

^^ Thanksgiving on steroids. Instead of that one crazy uncle, a boatload of crazy uncles....and aunts.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    True! But only if boiling HOT water is unavailable. lol

Having a stoned conversation and my friend tells me......we're in our Golden Years. .......I almost fell outta the bar stool......

^ Did you start singing the Bowie song?

Now that you mention it. Good idea......

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I might've missed it in the post. What Airplane song where you going sing? (Not titled White Rabbit or Somebody To Love.
    It was either of those. I was not going up to sing it. He was trying to convince me to sing it. I do not like to sing publicly.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    It was either of those. I was not going up to sing it. He was trying to convince me to sing it. I do not like to sing publicly.
    Yeah I can't/will not sing in public, but I'll play bongos in public. I've done it. Lol

The gout is acting up again. I'm drinking gallons of water trying to flush it out, but this attack is stubborn. Not biting, burning, and lasting 3 or 4 days as usual but dull and longer-lasting. Goes away for a day then comes back to spend a couple days. And I've stayed away from the beer that all the pundits say is the cause.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.