Page 71 of 239 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 5954

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Ah...I see where you're coming from Duncan. Thanks for the positive feedback!
    Positive feedback is always a positive thing..However, as the oldest guy on PE, and checking in on this thread from time to time, I do find my place more as a spectator than a participant, sort of been there, done that...not that I have, but in a chronological sense. Does my experience count? only to me...not like me to hand out advice, because the one thing you really learn about the ageing process is that the older you get, the less people listen to you. It seems to me that most peoples objectives are to avoid or diminish growing old. Why is this? There is no substitute for real life experience, much in the same way that knowledge is real rather than Googled. Not to sound too egotistic, but is it your aim to be like me? and have a fairly consistent verbiage of "I cant believe you are THAT old". One of the most negative sides of ageing is loosing your friends...I have experienced this over the past 5 years or so and as recent as 5 months ago. If you are lucky enough to avoid a devastating illness, and yes, I do believe in luck, you can live a very happy life, so don't get too serious and or paranoid about getting old, the stress will do you in.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Positive feedback is always a positive thing..However, as the oldest guy on PE, and checking in on this thread from time to time, I do find my place more as a spectator than a participant, sort of been there, done that...not that I have, but in a chronological sense. Does my experience count? only to me...not like me to hand out advice, because the one thing you really learn about the ageing process is that the older you get, the less people listen to you. It seems to me that most peoples objectives are to avoid or diminish growing old. Why is this? There is no substitute for real life experience, much in the same way that knowledge is real rather than Googled. Not to sound too egotistic, but is it your aim to be like me? and have a fairly consistent verbiage of "I cant believe you are THAT old". One of the most negative sides of ageing is loosing your friends...I have experienced this over the past 5 years or so and as recent as 5 months ago. If you are lucky enough to avoid a devastating illness, and yes, I do believe in luck, you can live a very happy life, so don't get too serious and or paranoid about getting old, the stress will do you in.
    I agree. Good suggestions!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Typically localized in the stomach/abdominal region. In other parts of the body, statins cause muscle weakness, the polar opposite of stiffness or cramping.
    Fortunately my 5-9 mile/day walking or hiking has improved my LDL/HDL ratio and my current doctor doesn’t recommend statins. But my previous did, only because of a 8% chance of stroke. My cholesterol, weight and BP didn’t seem to justify it. So I looked into it and apparently the metric has changed so that if you are 60 or over, you could have perfect measurement, but still get a recommendation for statins. The metric changed because statins weren’t showing reductions in first time heart attacks. This is BS.

Had a follow up with my Dr. today after blood work a couple weeks ago. All my numbers are great. I could stand to lose 5-10 lbs. though. That's manageable.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Had a follow up with my Dr. today after blood work a couple weeks ago. All my numbers are great. I could stand to lose 5-10 lbs. though. That's manageable.
    I added 8 pounds after a 1.5 year period of big loss. I've got to find a way of avoiding the "munchies" on the weekends. LOL
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I added 8 pounds after a 1.5 year period of big loss. I've got to find a way of avoiding the "munchies" on the weekends. LOL
    That's exactly my problem on weekends. Just one more beer I should not have had, then munchies. And when you've got the munchies, almonds don't cut it. Lol.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    My doctor and assistant know that the scales are 3 lbs over. I don’t know why a truthful weight is not important. If they think that this will make people lose, well people will go back to their scales and think they lost weight.

A few years ago, a UK study found statins aren't all that effective in preventing heart attack or stroke, when they're used to counteract an unhealthy lifestyle. They're not the magic bullet they're touted to be here in the US.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A few years ago, a UK study found statins aren't all that effective in preventing heart attack or stroke, when they're used to counteract an unhealthy lifestyle. They're not the magic bullet they're touted to be here in the US.
    A study completed in 2013 said that statins only reduce probability of heart attack of 1%, unless you have already had one and in that case 30%. Read this article and see what a genius who understands the biochemistry of it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4456713/

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    My doctor started me on Lipitor and within a very short period my cholesterol dropped down to around 175. I eventually dropped down to a lower dose and have maintained a decent level ever since (I am now 57). My doctor basically said I could be a poster child for how well statins worked.
    Hasn't it been shown that there isn't a strong connection between cholesterol levels and risk for heart attacks?

"However, the true benefit of statins in altering risk of CVD is increasingly being questioned by respected members of the medical community, creating bitter divisions within the ranks. Several cardiologists have countered that the benefits of statins have been grossly exaggerated (especially as primary prevention), while their risks have been consistently underemphasised. In some quarters, the scepticism about statins has reached fever pitch. Some say that the preponderance of statin trials has been tainted by ‘industry sponsorship’, influenced by ‘statistical deception’, and riddled with ‘flawed methodology'

"Those who challenge the cholesterol hypothesis are accused of ‘cherry-picking’ the data. Ironically, pro-statin researchers themselves are the ones who are guilty of cherry-picking. A recent article in The Lancet, published in 2016, purported to end the statin debate, ostensibly to silence dissenting views[7]. Yet, despite billions invested in developing medicines to reduce LDL-C drastically, there remains no consistent evidence for clinical benefit with respect to either events or mortality."

Clinical Pharmacist, July 2017

I used a step counter app on my phone for my walk the other day and found out I've been going roughly one mile (2500 steps). I have since kicked it up to a mile and a half (over 3000 steps). Baby steps but it's something.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

One step at a time.

(Or - 2,500 steps at a time)

You may think they're baby steps, but you're 2,500 steps ahead of the vast majority of people who're still on the couch!
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I usually get in around 6000 steps a day, Saturday was 12,500 though it was mainly between pubs.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

First eye test in three years for wifey and me - thankfully no cataracts, no macular degeneration and most importantly, given my family history, no glaucoma. And as a bonus my wife can reduce the strength of her prescription. Doc says my regular luteine supplement may be helping as well as the daily walnuts I take for prostate health.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    First eye test in three years for wifey and me - thankfully no cataracts, no macular degeneration and most importantly, given my family history, no glaucoma. And as a bonus my wife can reduce the strength of her prescription. Doc says my regular luteine supplement may be helping as well as the daily walnuts I take for prostate health.
    How about 5000iu of Vitamin D3 daily?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Yep, I eat a plant-based diet so D3 is a must.

Banned
    Yep, I eat a plant-based diet so D3 is a must.
    Great, but it doesn’t matter whether plant based or not because meat does provide enough. Midday full body summer sun of 30 minutes can provide enough, however few people live where UVB is present year round. Thus the need for supplements and they do work, based on my test results.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Saturday was 12,500 though it was mainly between pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Hasn't it been shown that there isn't a strong connection between cholesterol levels and risk for heart attacks?

"However, the true benefit of statins in altering risk of CVD is increasingly being questioned by respected members of the medical community, creating bitter divisions within the ranks. Several cardiologists have countered that the benefits of statins have been grossly exaggerated (especially as primary prevention), while their risks have been consistently underemphasised. In some quarters, the scepticism about statins has reached fever pitch. Some say that the preponderance of statin trials has been tainted by ‘industry sponsorship’, influenced by ‘statistical deception’, and riddled with ‘flawed methodology'

"Those who challenge the cholesterol hypothesis are accused of ‘cherry-picking’ the data. Ironically, pro-statin researchers themselves are the ones who are guilty of cherry-picking. A recent article in The Lancet, published in 2016, purported to end the statin debate, ostensibly to silence dissenting views[7]. Yet, despite billions invested in developing medicines to reduce LDL-C drastically, there remains no consistent evidence for clinical benefit with respect to either events or mortality."

Clinical Pharmacist, July 2017
    As I mentioned in my other post, I am not a doctor, so I guess all I can relate is my own personal experience. One can go on the internet and find "data" that supports both sides of the Statin argument as to whether they are effective or not, and the impact of side effects. Where the actual truth lies, who knows. I guess in the end, in my case, I have to trust that my doctor knows what he is talking about when he prescribed them for me. There is no doubt that they have had a dramatic impact on my personal cholesterol level.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As I mentioned in my other post, I am not a doctor, so I guess all I can relate is my own personal experience. One can go on the internet and find "data" that supports both sides of the Statin argument as to whether they are effective or not, and the impact of side effects. Where the actual truth lies, who knows. I guess in the end, in my case, I have to trust that my doctor knows what he is talking about when he prescribed them for me. There is no doubt that they have had a dramatic impact on my personal cholesterol level.
    There are two issues, and I didn't mean to emphasize the statin one but asking about the shift away from being concerned about cholesterol numbers at all.

Here's a getoffmylawn question: why do kids these days make those sideways peace signs in every fucking photo they take?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ I think they're flashing gang symbols, and they're doing it because it's "cool."

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I have not seen that. Rock paper scissors?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Do these help better than Tamsulosin?

Askin' for a friend
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I have not seen that. Rock paper scissors?
    They got it from the rappers. I can't tell you which ones or when it started, but the kids have been doing it for a long time.