Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

  1. #2201
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    My wife had her right knee replaced on Monday.
    She has been up and around. We have three levels, it makes it more of a challenge.
    I picked up a couple of extra walkers from Goodwill today ( $16 for two! ) so that she can move more freely between floors.
    She has not had to rely on pain meds as much as she had expected.
    She does her exercises and we have had home PT therapists come by before she goes to a clinic.
    My wife had her hip done just before Progday last year and to make going to the bathroom easier I picked up a portable potty chair and take the potty out and raise the toilet seat and set it over the toilet. Ain't the Goodwill great. I also picked up a brand new sex swing at the Goodwill last year for when the hip is fully healed.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  2. #2202
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,038
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    My wife had her right knee replaced on Monday.
    She has been up and around. We have three levels, it makes it more of a challenge.
    I picked up a couple of extra walkers from Goodwill today ( $16 for two! ) so that she can move more freely between floors.
    She has not had to rely on pain meds as much as she had expected.
    She does her exercises and we have had home PT therapists come by before she goes to a clinic.
    I would be interested to continue to hear how she does. My first surgery is not until July, so it will be a while for me. I actually have a walker that was my parents before they passed away.

  3. #2203
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    My wife had her right knee replaced on Monday.
    She has been up and around. We have three levels, it makes it more of a challenge.
    I picked up a couple of extra walkers from Goodwill today ( $16 for two! ) so that she can move more freely between floors.
    She has not had to rely on pain meds as much as she had expected.
    She does her exercises and we have had home PT therapists come by before she goes to a clinic.
    We had the same problem when my wife had her knee surgeries : Three levels in the house were a challenge!

    Good to hear that she seems to be recovering quickly!
    Regards,

    Duncan

  4. #2204
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Ain't the Goodwill great. I also picked up a brand new sex swing at the Goodwill last year for when the hip is fully healed.
    This brings up SO MANY questions........
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  5. #2205
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    We had the same problem when my wife had her knee surgeries : Three levels in the house were a challenge!

    Good to hear that she seems to be recovering quickly!
    My aunt had those chair lifts installed in her townhouse.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  6. #2206
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,491
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    My aunt had those chair lifts installed in her townhouse.
    I think if we planned on 'retiring in place' that would be the plan.
    Doing the stairs is an important part of the PT. They are short 6 and 7 steps.
    Getting out to the car for PT and Dr appointments will be tough. A two person en devour.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  7. #2207
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,491
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I would be interested to continue to hear how she does. My first surgery is not until July, so it will be a while for me. I actually have a walker that was my parents before they passed away.
    If you don't have a walk in shower you will need to remove sliding doors etc and get a bench seat for the tub.
    A down side to one of the goodwill walkers is that it came from a heavy smoker. I didn't notice at first and just wiped it down with disinfecting wipes.
    I spent a while today scrubbing it with denatured alcohol and acetone, much shinier ( less brown tinged ) and non stinky.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  8. #2208
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,145
    Yeah I had a stool in the shower
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  9. #2209
    Member rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,676
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yeah I had a stool in the shower
    My shower stool was too hard, so I put a waterproof cushion on it. I call it my stool softener.

  10. #2210
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yeah I had a stool in the shower
    It's not like peeing in the shower, it doesn't wash down the drain.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  11. #2211
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    849
    Brief update : Progeezer (Steve) is trying to log in, but is having problems caused (I think) by his browser.

    Look forward to seeing him here shortly...
    Regards,

    Duncan

  12. #2212
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,145
    I knew calling it a stool was leaving myself wide open
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  13. #2213
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It's not like peeing in the shower, it doesn't wash down the drain.
    In the Navy, there will occasionally be a "phantom shitter," who thinks it's funny to take dumps in the shower stalls, in the ship's heads. On the plus side, everyone aboard a ship wears shower shoes......nobody stands barefoot in a shower stall.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  14. #2214
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    4,259
    A classic tale from the early days of the Internet: The Attack of the Mad Shitter

    http://www.panix.com/~msaroff/shitter.shtml
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  15. #2215
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Brief update : Progeezer (Steve) is trying to log in, but is having problems caused (I think) by his browser.
    Steve, try the other hole!

  16. #2216
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    3,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Brief update : Progeezer (Steve) is trying to log in, but is having problems caused (I think) by his browser.

    Look forward to seeing him here shortly...
    Why does my MAC all ways want me to log in? Is it because I’m all ways logged in on phone?
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  17. #2217
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Why does my MAC all ways want me to log in? Is it because I’m all ways logged in on phone?
    No, that will not impact login. Login is remembered on each browser.

    When you log in, check the "Remember Me" box. If that doesn't work, clear your browser's PE cookies and try again.
    Regards,

    Duncan

  18. #2218
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It's not like peeing in the shower, it doesn't wash down the drain.
    Dry dockin'
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  19. #2219
    Member rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,676
    In the lifeguard industry this is known as a barracuda.

  20. #2220
    Did anyone see the 60 Minutes interview with George Church a few weeks ago? He is a top geneticist at Harvard and says age reversing will be available around 2029.

  21. #2221
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    50
    Great, like there's not to many people on the planet already. Was thinking the other day about all the different causes of climate change (other than fossil fuel burning, theres tilling soil which releases nitrogen to the atmosphere) Because we can't feed the world population without factory style farming. I think to save the planet (ok, the planet will be fine, we're fucked) we need to start accepting our mortality, stop trying to stay alive at all costs.

  22. #2222
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,346
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Did anyone see the 60 Minutes interview with George Church a few weeks ago? He is a top geneticist at Harvard and says age reversing will be available around 2029.
    "age reversing"? So, we'll get younger? I can't wait until I'm 19 again.
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  23. #2223
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    "age reversing"? So, we'll get younger? I can't wait until I'm 19 again.
    It's actually your immature mind is like 19, our bodies will still be old a frail!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  24. #2224
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    7,003
    Will we be able to invest in this Benjamin Button, Inc.?
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  25. #2225
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,498
    Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    Great, like there's not to many people on the planet already. Was thinking the other day about all the different causes of climate change (other than fossil fuel burning, theres tilling soil which releases nitrogen to the atmosphere) Because we can't feed the world population without factory style farming. I think to save the planet (ok, the planet will be fine, we're fucked) we need to start accepting our mortality, stop trying to stay alive at all costs.
    Slowing down the number of new humans seems generally more palatable than asking the existing ones to stop existing.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •