Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

  1. #1951
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    How does an agency "quietly admit" something? By using font size 2 in a notice?

    I have a friend who heads a cancer research lab, and he told me "Lots of substances kill cancer cells - in a petri dish."

    Maybe good news: A chemical found in cannabis was recently synthesized to use against pancreatic cancer. In natural form, it would take a field of plants to be used for one person.

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-compound.html
    Obviously the goal is to only kill or stop cancer. Scientists have known for a long time about the endocannabinoid system. CBD and THC are synergistic with that system.
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

  2. #1952
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Then what do you do when the doctor grabs your balls.
    Tell her to be gentle and don't ignore the shaft?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  3. #1953
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,676
    Man, I struggle with my weight. Two years ago, I lost 50 pounds. I thought this would motivate me to start running. I am a runner (have completed 2 marathons in the past) but I find my job so stressful (still pays the bills and is very rewarding on several levels). Losing the weight is the easy part, keeping it off is the challenge. My dope smoking on Fridays (only) doesn't help as I get the munchies big time. So, fast forward 2 years and I've gained 12 pounds back. Really need want to exercise but just can't find the motivation. At 57, I'm far less resilient but I still feel quite young mentally.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  4. #1954
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,779
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    So, fast forward 2 years and I've gained 12 pounds back. Really need want to exercise but just can't find the motivation. At 57, I'm far less resilient but I still feel quite young mentally.
    Can you find an exercise you enjoy more than running? I know my weight made running very hard on my knees and hips and ankles, and when I hit a pothole one morning before work and went down, I said, "That's it."

    I went back to swimming, something I'd done in high school and swore I'd never do again because our coach was a slave driver. But it's easier on the joints, you don't get all hot & sweaty, and -- sometimes -- there's GIRLS IN THE POOL!

  5. #1955
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,676
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Can you find an exercise you enjoy more than running? I know my weight made running very hard on my knees and hips and ankles, and when I hit a pothole one morning before work and went down, I said, "That's it."

    I went back to swimming, something I'd done in high school and swore I'd never do again because our coach was a slave driver. But it's easier on the joints, you don't get all hot & sweaty, and -- sometimes -- there's GIRLS IN THE POOL!
    My wife wants to start swimming (we did a lot during a winter vacation last year) but I still need to get over the inertia. Gotta do something!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  6. #1956
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,779
    Having a partner to motivate you is very helpful. I wish I could get my wife out of bed in the morning -- but she's... what's the opposite of a vampire?

  7. #1957
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,363
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    . what's the opposite of a vampire?
    An umpire?
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  8. #1958
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,779
    No balls, no strikes!

  9. #1959
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    what's the opposite of a vampire?
    She bites you and spits blood into the teeth marks?

  10. #1960
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,340
    She turns to dust when the moon comes out. Every meal is full of garlic. Bathes in holy water.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  11. #1961
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,898
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    She turns to dust when the moon comes out. Every meal is full of garlic. Bathes in holy water.
    How do you know my wife (she-who-must-be-obeyed), Ian? I do enjoy the garlic in my food, however.
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  12. #1962
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,167
    This is the first I've heard about a vampire problem in Medford.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  13. #1963
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,779
    You can't hit a vampire....

    Because a vampire strikes back!

  14. #1964
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    what's the opposite of a vampire?
    A blood donor?

  15. #1965
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,689
    There's one thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach....all the damn vampires.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  16. #1966
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Can you find an exercise you enjoy more than running? I know my weight made running very hard on my knees and hips and ankles, and when I hit a pothole one morning before work and went down, I said, "That's it."
    ...
    Greg, swimming and cycling are good answers. Swimming is more of a "chore" because you have to go somewhere, change, etc. etc. Cycling is much easier, more fun (speed, variety, outdoors, etc.) and can be very sociable ... until winter hits.

    An alternative is a good quality eliptical machine. I use these when I'm staying in hotels, which is about 2 weeks in every 3. No impact, no weather concerns, and with a bit of effort and resistance you can burn far more calories on an eliptical than through walking or running ... and you're catching up on all those Netflix episodes you've missed over the years!

    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Having a partner to motivate you is very helpful. I wish I could get my wife out of bed in the morning -- but she's... what's the opposite of a vampire?
    So my wife has a secret twin sister! Who knew! I wish I could persuade my bride to exercise
    Regards,

    Duncan

    This place has become the "Cheers" of the Internet.
    -- Rushfan

  17. #1967
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Man, I struggle with my weight. Two years ago, I lost 50 pounds. I thought this would motivate me to start running. I am a runner (have completed 2 marathons in the past) but I find my job so stressful (still pays the bills and is very rewarding on several levels). Losing the weight is the easy part, keeping it off is the challenge. My dope smoking on Fridays (only) doesn't help as I get the munchies big time. So, fast forward 2 years and I've gained 12 pounds back. Really need want to exercise but just can't find the motivation. At 57, I'm far less resilient but I still feel quite young mentally.
    Put headphones on iPhone or Android, play Prog and walk 2 hours a day min (in a mall if the weathers bad). I lost 20 lbs on that approach and keep it off so far for a year.
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

  18. #1968
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,419
    Running and strenuous exercise for older people is stress for which the counter is eating. Walk or hike.
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

  19. #1969
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,676
    I guess my mind set was locked on the idea of running because I had such enjoyment of it in my relative youth (30's). I hear the comments and am receptive to trying something new. I'll report back in 3 months.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  20. #1970
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    An alternative is a good quality elliptical machine. No impact, no weather concerns, and with a bit of effort and resistance you can burn far more calories on an elliptical than through walking or running ... and you're catching up on all those Netflix episodes you've missed over the years!
    Indeed. Ellipticals vary considerably in their construction, and it took me FOREVER to find one that was comfortable to use / didn't give me carpal tunnel / had a long enough stride that I wasn't taking baby steps / allowed for upper body exercise as well with "ski poles." I used the piss outta mine before I moved and no longer had room for it.

    And hey? If you have an iPad or other tablet, consider looking into something like this instead of watching old Netflix episodes.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bitgym...rs/id651190653
    These programs provide video footage of some really cool trails and streets, all over the world. You get to sightsee while you work out! The good ones link to your elliptical and control the speed of the video by how fast you're pedaling. Some of them -- maybe only the bike ones? maybe only the treadmills? -- adjust the resistance and/or incline depending on the trail you're taking. I've done trails all over Europe, Australia, Japan, USA, South America... made me exercise a lot longer than I would've otherwise. Well worth the investment, IMO.

  21. #1971
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Indeed. Ellipticals vary considerably in their construction, and it took me FOREVER to find one that was comfortable to use / didn't give me carpal tunnel / had a long enough stride that I wasn't taking baby steps / allowed for upper body exercise as well with "ski poles." I used the piss outta mine before I moved and no longer had room for it.

    And hey? If you have an iPad or other tablet, consider looking into something like this instead of watching old Netflix episodes.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bitgym...rs/id651190653
    These programs provide video footage of some really cool trails and streets, all over the world. You get to sightsee while you work out! The good ones link to your elliptical and control the speed of the video by how fast you're pedaling. Some of them -- maybe only the bike ones? maybe only the treadmills? -- adjust the resistance and/or incline depending on the trail you're taking. I've done trails all over Europe, Australia, Japan, USA, South America... made me exercise a lot longer than I would've otherwise. Well worth the investment, IMO.
    You're right.

    I presume these sightseeing systems available for all activities, but I have used some cycling systems that attach to your trainer. The scenery passes as fast - or as slowly - as you ride. When the road kicks up on a hill, the resistance gets harder - then it gets easier as you go downhill. They've programmed in some of the Tour De France routes, some of Italy's most iconic hills (I've done a virtual ride up Passo Dellla Stelvio 3 times), and other scenic routes. Quite expensive, but very cool.
    Regards,

    Duncan

    This place has become the "Cheers" of the Internet.
    -- Rushfan

  22. #1972
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,779
    I've seen pictures of the rigs they use to take these movies, and they look like a smaller version of the Google cars that do street mapping. In a couple of the routes I've run (ellipticaled?), people you pass by stop to stare at this weird contraption going past them.

  23. #1973
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,689
    Our treadmill has a similar thing that connects from the treadmill to a small unit that patches in via HDMI to a TV or monitor. It looked to me that these were filmed on a bicycle. Two videos came with the system, one filmed in Utah backcountry and the other in Italy. I never purchased any others, my concentration is usually on whatever music is coming through my headphones.

    I just got a phone call. My 67-year-old cousin died this AM, her husband found her in the bathroom. She had various health issues, some self-inflicted, but it's still a shock. There's a ridiculous longevity in my dad's family, my grandmother made it to 104, her brothers made it into the 90s, my aunt is 95 and still quite sharp. So it's kind of a shock that one of the cousins has checked out. It's a wakeup call to the rest of us that longevity is not guaranteed and we have to take care.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  24. #1974
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Mae West
    It's not the men in my life that matter; it's the life in my men!
    ..

  25. #1975
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,419
    “Furthermore, though it is increasingly looking like traditional e-cigarettes are not driving the current epidemic, there’s an awful lot of ambiguity regarding the potential long-term health effects of vaping, as well as some question as to whether some members of the population may be predisposed to developing such ailments. We know that nicotine is not good for you, and that many e-cigarette products contain higher levels of nicotine than advertised; we also know that e-cigarettes contain chemicals like propylene glycol and glycerine, which, when heated, can release hundreds of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) that may be harmful when inhaled. Indeed, a mouse study in the Journal of Clinical Investigation last month found that the inhalation of such chemicals, even in the absence of nicotine or THC, led to the mice’s lungs developing lipid-laden immune cells, an effect mimicking that of lipoid pneumonitis.”
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •