Page 30 of 238 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

She was very ill. She's in a better place now. Thanks for all the condolences.

My deepest sympathies for you Vic. Damn, two significant deaths in the family in a the space of weeks is extreme stress. Be damn sure to take care of yourself.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    At this very moment I am at the funeral home making arrangements for my mom who passed away last night. RIP, Mom.
    Very sorry to hear that, Vic. Hang in there.

Such sad news! I pray that you and your family will find comfort soon.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Serious condolences Vic, she's at peace now. Keep on keeping on ....

Vic, my condolences to you and your family.
    G.A.S -aholic

Keep the faith, Vic! Very sorry for you & family.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

For mom it's a sense of relief. Sad, but relieved that she's no longer suffering.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My condolences, V-Dog.

Today she was lowered into the ground.

My condolences, Vic.
    <sig out of order>

I went to the cardiologist Monday to get a nuclear stress test. I'd been feeling a pain in my chest when I'm on the elliptical at the gym. it starts slow about 7 minutes in, and I stop and let it subside before continuing. Most times it doesn't come back and I'm good, until the next time I come to the gym. So I figured I needed to get it checked.

Well, seven minutes in, like clockwork, I feel the pain. The doc says he sees it. I tell him it's getting bigger and he yells "Stop and get off the treadmill!" then sits me down, gives me a nitro pill under my tongue and calls for the crash cart. By this time I'm feeling normal again. He says I had 100% blockage somewhere.

So they call the ambulance and I go to the hospital where they do an catheterization. They see nothing. No damage to the heart and very little plaque. The doc even says my heart looks like an athletes. So now he's stumped because the EKG showed a blockage.

Diagnosis - Angina. New meds that keep the veins and arteries from constricting, which also lowers blood pressure and battles a-fibs. However, he says it's strange that it only occurred during exertion. I feel great, two days home, but I haven;t gone back to the gym yet. I think I'll wait until next week before trying that, and then build my routine slower than before.

Anyone else suffer from angina?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I got a fatty liver diagnosis and have been advised to cut down on the beer and lose some weight. I'll see how it goes, been sticking to water 6 of the last 7 days.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've cut way down on beer drinking and I've lost some weight which I mostly attribute to that. Going to the gym for the last 9 months didn't seem to alter my weight at all, now I'm down about 15 lbs.
    <sig out of order>

Today's NR news:

NR (Nicotinamide Riboside), which is a vitamin B3 derivative, manufacturer ChromaDex added top Alzheimer's Disease researcher Rudy Tanzi to its science advisory board. Tanzi said in a TEDX Talk that he thinks Alzheimer's will be defeated before 2025. His current research seems to focus on preventing Alzheimer's Disease, and it is believed that NR might help with that.

One human trial looking at how NR affects the brain will be completed at the end of this year. (NR boosts NAD in humans):

The Effects of Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide (NAD) on Brain Function and Cognition

The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio; University of Texas; South Texas Veterans Health Care System
    (participants n=26)
    Dose: 250mg, 500mg, 750, 1g & placebo

Tanzi on TEDx
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuel1AFKSDo

My wife just discovered something on Amazon Prime this week. You can stream "ambient videos" all night provided you've got Amazon streaming into your TV. Thunderstorms, seashore, pure white noise, etc. Perfect if you have trouble sleeping.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

For anyone interested in the continuing NR (nicotinamide riboside = version of vitamin B3) saga:

Researchers from the University of Colorado along with ChromaDex, the erstwhile monopoly supplier of NR, now shifting to a retailer of NR, held a conference on the results of people taking 1000 mg of NR a day versus those taking a placebo but will not release the results to the public yet.

Elysium, with its six Nobel laureates on its science advisory board, found a new source of NR after ChromaDex blocked their supply (ChromaDex sued Elysium for non-payment), and I assume it is from somewhere like China where the manufacturing patent for NR does not hold.

The co-founder of Elysium, an MIT longevity microbiologist, said recently that six more trials of their BASIS (NR with pterostilbine) are about to start testing health endpoints at more levels of each molecule. They also haven't released the detailed data of their 120 person (ages 60 to 79) study that was completed last July.

So more delays, but it looks promising that Elysium is setting up six more trials and also trials for other compounds. NR has already been shown to be helpful in improving heart failure in mice and the company is optimistic that NR will make ripples into the pharmaceutical world, and I'm guessing one major area will be heart health.

It can get worse

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    It can get worse

That's me with the blue-checked shirt in the front. When I do get my royalty check?

That's the geezer version of hit-the-balloon/beachball at stadium shows in the 70s.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Wake up, old geezers!

The U of Colorado human trial results of taking NR (Nicotinamide Ribosode, a type of vitamin B3) at 250 mg, 500 mg and 1,000 mg are expected to finally be released in a publication around the end of this year or start of the new year.

This should be informative.

When I was little, my favorite season of the year was winter ! Snowmen, icicles, tunneling thru snowdrifts, snow days from school !! It was a bit chilly living near Niagara Falls.

As I attained driving age, dealing with frozen old clunkers helped change my opinion considerably. Around 1973 I moved to Florida.

A family situation has me living back here near N. Falls again. Don't know for how long.... but....damn, it's %$#@ cold on this old geezer !!

...didn't see that one coming 50 yrs ago...

Fuck off.

Are you all for real?

There CANNOT be a cure for Alzheimers. And it is irreversable.

Start believing in Jesus coming down, cos that's what it takes.

Do you even know what consitutes Alzheimers?

Look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimba View Post
    Fuck off.

Are you all for real?

Start believing in Jesus coming down, cos that's what it takes.

Do you even know what consitutes Alzheimers?

Look it up.
    And Jonas Salk said, "there cannot be a cure for polio", and Alexander Fleming said, "there cannot be a medicine to kill bacterial infections", and Pierre & Marie Curie said, " we will never be able to kill cancer cells" (so did Paul Ehrlich - there are 2, so to find the right one you'll have to LOOK IT UP).

Until you can provide your official credentials in soothsaying, are you for real?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Bimba View Post
    Fuck off.

Are you all for real?

You talkin' to me, punk?

By coincidence, a leader in the Alzheimer's disease field joined Chromadex, a major NR seller, this past spring as a science advisor. He is convinced Alzheimer's will be cured by 2025, but I think a lot of that will be with catching it a decade before it shows signs.