Page 99 of 238 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149199 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 5949

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

We have a Bosch dishwasher - it tackles dirty dishes, is efficient on water usage, and is quiet. Best damn appliance in the house.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We have a Bosch dishwasher - it tackles dirty dishes, is efficient on water usage, and is quiet. Best damn appliance in the house.
    I installed one years ago. One side doesn't have a cabinet next to it and if not for the red light on the floor you wouldn't even know it's running. What I liked was the bottom was solid with a channel to feed the water line or electric. No more removing the bottom front panel with that little piece of yellow fiberglass to deaden the motor sound.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I think that the modern dishwasher uses less water than a sink full plus rinsing.
    I tend to wash the pans I use as soon as the food is removed ( frying/saute ) the heat of the pans dries it.
    But glasses and plates...let the magic machine take care of it.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I wash dishes while cooking, grilling or immediately after the food is prepared. After the meal, I wash those dishes in a jiffy and no need to run a dishwasher.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    When I was a kid our dishwasher was so loud we had to turn up the volume of the TV in the living room.
    The one we have now is so quiet, the loudest sound that it makes is just the water draining into the disposal.

As many dishes as I dirty, it would take a couple of weeks to fill the dishwasher into a doable load. By then, the food would be good and caked on. Either that, or continue washing the dishes before I wash the dishes

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    The water heater has a thermostat. It will only come on if the water cools sufficiently. It’s probably been off since your 110 degree weather started. Wanna Save money? Turn the thermostat down.
    The water temp currently in the tank is nowhere near even 110. I'd estimate it around 95 degrees. The water coming out of the cold tap, at least initially is much hotter. I've long quipped that this time of year, Phoenix has hot and really hot running water. The reason is since our ground never freezes, water lines don't have to be buried very deep...only a couple of feet, if that. Thus, the water gets as hot as the sidewalks just above.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    You must have a lot of those, or not change them on a daily basis.
    I change them once a month, whether they need it or not.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I would trade winters in Ottawa for Arizona.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

My parents did the Arizona winter thing for almost a couple decades. They loved it. My dad went nuts golfing. I used to scoff at it a little bit but the winter before last broke me. If we didn't have so damn many pets...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I would trade winters in Ottawa for Arizona.
    In winter, we see many Ontario plates...along with Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My parents did the Arizona winter thing for almost a couple decades. They loved it. My dad went nuts golfing. I used to scoff at it a little bit but the winter before last broke me. If we didn't have so damn many pets...
    I have to laugh when states like Alabama advertise on local television. Their biggest selling point is playing to golf, to which I say "Yeah! We can't play golf here!"

For some reason I like washing the dishes by hand most of the time. Half the time they don't get that clean in the dishwasher, but that's mostly due to improper loading. No, I don't push the button ten times and I'm not sure rainwater will do a better job.

When my boiler was installed the guys from the gas company said they had to set the (indirect hot) water temperature to 140 degrees F by regulation. This was to eliminate the possibility of Legionnaires disease. I bumped it down to 120 F.
    <sig out of order>

Hey, let's keep the dishwasher comments in the dishwashing thread.

Oh, wait...
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ Some of us can dish it out, but can't take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    When my boiler was installed the guys from the gas company said they had to set the (indirect hot) water temperature to 140 degrees F by regulation. This was to eliminate the possibility of Legionnaires disease. I bumped it down to 120 F.
    Legionnaires is really only a concern with electric water heaters. The bottom heating coil is located about 6 inches above the bottom of the tank. The space below that coil is where bacteria tends to thrive. Gas water heaters and boilers heat from the very bottom up, eliminating that safe haven for bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Oh, wait...
    You're soaking in it.

apologies to non-old, non-US readers who won't understand

^^ It Dawned on me what you're talking about, Madge.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Legionnaires is really only a concern with electric water heaters. The bottom heating coil is located about 6 inches above the bottom of the tank. The space below that coil is where bacteria tends to thrive. Gas water heaters and boilers heat from the very bottom up, eliminating that safe haven for bacteria.
    I was just reading about this and apparently 120 F is not hot enough to kill the bacteria. According to this article the bacteria will die within 5 to 6 hours at 131 F. What I read also confirmed your point above. I'm going to increase the temperature a bit to be on the safe side.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ It Dawned on me what you're talking about, Madge.
    Your response brought me Joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Your response brought me Joy.
    Just Cascade it on.

STEVE SLY - good luck tomorrow.

Stop me if I've told you this before

When my wife had her knee replacement, she faithfully did all the therapy exercises afterward. BUT after a short while she found that all of the exercises were painful and unhelpful except for the recumbent bike. That was the easiest exercise of all, and also, the most helpful.

So she quit the therapy and we bought a recumbent bike (they're not expensive) and she used that 3 to 4 times a day for several weeks. It was a huge help, and saved her a ton of $$$ and pain.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    STEVE SLY - good luck tomorrow.

Stop me if I've told you this before

When my wife had her knee replacement, she faithfully did all the therapy exercises afterward. BUT after a short while she found that all of the exercises were painful and unhelpful except for the recumbent bike. That was the easiest exercise of all, and also, the most helpful.

So she quit the therapy and we bought a recumbent bike (they're not expensive) and she used that 3 to 4 times a day for several weeks. It was a huge help, and saved her a ton of $$$ and pain.
    Thanks!

My wife retired on June 30th, so she is going to be my nurse and force me to do the PT. My doctor gave me a bunch of PT excersices that I am supposed to do once an hour for 8 hours a day for the first 3 weeks. I do not have a recumbent bike, but do have an upright one. The Dr. wants me to start on that pretty soon after surgery.

I guess we'll see how it goes. I am both nervous about the surgery and ready to get it over with. I have been riding my bike just about every day to try to get my legs in the best shape I can.

Steve,
    After 4 months my wife is getting around pretty well.
    She did PT and home exercises for 2.5 months after surgery.
    The changed gait threw off her hips a bit, shifting the PT up higher. That has worked out as well.
    She's not playing tennis or anything like that, but can get around with out the constant pain.

Good luck with yours!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Steve,
    After 4 months my wife is getting around pretty well.
    She did PT and home exercises for 2.5 months after surgery.
    The changed gait threw off her hips a bit, shifting the PT up higher. That has worked out as well.
    She's not playing tennis or anything like that, but can get around with out the constant pain.

Good luck with yours!
    Thanks. I am supposed to get my left knee done in October, so we'll see how this all goes.

Have tendinitis and arthritis in my left elbow, got cortisone shot 4 months ago and was doing well. Bumped my elbow a few days ago and it set it off.

I've only complained here!

My friend and former band mate of many years almost died a few days ago. He somehow had a bad reaction to a high blood pressure medication that he's been on for 10+ years. It happened in the morning and he had not yet taken his daily dose. His tongue started swelling and he was having trouble swallowing so they headed for the hospital. His condition continued to worsen to the point where his tongue was so swollen he couldn't breathe and had to be intubated while awake. Luckily they got it under control with various drugs and he's home now and is working hard to change his diet and get more exercise to get off the medication (Lisinopril).

Since he's had no gigs and a declining music lesson schedule he has recently pursued one of his other loves: sailing. A friend of his hired him to help crew a couple of sailboats that had to be moved up the East coast to avoid storms. If this drug reaction had happened 30 miles off shore he might not have made it. He had arrived home from his last trip the day before this happened.
    <sig out of order>

My wife had off today so we decided to go bike riding on the local NCR trail. Filled the tires at the house and when we got there my front tire was flat. I tried filling it a couple times from the portable pump but it kept leaking out the valve. Luckily there is a bike shop about two miles away so we went there. He said there would be a 24 hour wait. I let a tear trickle out down my cheek to my mask, he must have seen it and said he would replace the tube for me. You can do the tear thing after being married for 42 years. We rode for about six miles, my wife said she didn't want to be too sore to work tomorrow. Her one knee has been bothering her.