Page 96 of 239 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146196 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 5959

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Agreed - let's keep Covid out of here.

I'm glad there's a lighthearted thread - I hope no one takes it seriously and gets all offended and causes us to close it...
    That could never happen here.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That could never happen here.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    That’s only one I know of and have no interest in looking at. I only look at scientific analysis wrt this subject.

I'm glad there's a lighthearted thread - I hope no one takes it seriously and gets all offended and causes us to close it...
    What about covid egg sausage and covid? That's not got much covid in it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Yeah, well...it seems the whole country has gone stark raving mad. Here in Michigan we have protesters in the Capitol carrying AR-15s and waving Confederate flags. What either of those items have to do with a pandemic, I'm not at all certain. But as a Michigander, it really is embarrassing. Particularly since Michigan was a Union state whose regiments fought with notable valor at places like Gettysburg and the Battle of the Wilderness, and was the final stage of the underground railroad that funneled escaped slaves over to Canada.
    As a fellow Michigander I am also embarrased by all of this. The first big protest that happened week before last a co-worker of mine was posting pictures on facebook of her and her boyfriend at the protest with big "Whitler" signs on their car. I am certainly seeing this person in a whole new light now.

Sorry, but KER-AACK! isn't canon.
    https://www.66batmania.com/trivia/bat-fight-words/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    What about covid egg sausage and covid? That's not got much covid in it.
    Haha
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

On that note, I'll kick back and drink a Corona Beer...of which there are plenty because nobody else wants to drink them.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    On that note, I'll kick back and drink a Corona Beer...of which there are plenty because nobody else wants to drink them.
    In The Hague there is a Corona hotel. Wonder how they will fare after the lockdown has ended.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    And your point? To quote something that has nothing to do with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    And your point?
    I was laughing at the cartoon. Not sure how I quoted you. No point, just the point on my head.....

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Only during "these uncertain times."
    And if we can find a semblance of normalcy......

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    And if we can find a semblance of normalcy......
    Did we ever have one?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Crappity crap crap. One doesn't have to be old to die, just a lot of whiskey will do. A friend of mine passed last night after a heart attack. He was a few years younger than me so just under 50.

Left a wife and kids, of course. Had the attack yesterday and is gone in less than 24 hours. Just poof and he's gone. That's where all the tired but true cliches come in, live life to the fullest, etc. yada yada yada.

Damn good bass player also. He and I had some great debates, me the hard rock/ slightly proggy guy and him coming from a more pop/country (he was from Texas so that fits) background.

There was one time a song came on the jukebox and for some reason the person next to me asked what year it was from. Given the funky nature of the song and the sound quality I said mid '70's. He called me on it and I was so wrong, by nearly a decade. IIRC it was some tune from The Commodores but I may have that wrong. Guy knew his stuff and he and his wife were delights to hang with. Some really great late night debates at the local watering hole.

He also put up with my bs. Once at a reggae show I jostled him and not very hard but his foot caught a piece of equipment and he fell hard, scraped his arm all up. He should have beat my ass but he didn't.

Funerals suck but it's gotta be done. No one gets out of here alive, right?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Condolences, TheLoony.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Crappity crap crap. One doesn't have to be old to die, just a lot of whiskey will do. A friend of mine passed last night after a heart attack. He was a few years younger than me so just under 50.

Left a wife and kids, of course. Had the attack yesterday and is gone in less than 24 hours. Just poof and he's gone. That's where all the tired but true cliches come in, live life to the fullest, etc. yada yada yada.

Damn good bass player also. He and I had some great debates, me the hard rock/ slightly proggy guy and him coming from a more pop/country (he was from Texas so that fits) background.

There was one time a song came on the jukebox and for some reason the person next to me asked what year it was from. Given the funky nature of the song and the sound quality I said mid '70's. He called me on it and I was so wrong, by nearly a decade. IIRC it was some tune from The Commodores but I may have that wrong. Guy knew his stuff and he and his wife were delights to hang with. Some really great late night debates at the local watering hole.

He also put up with my bs. Once at a reggae show I jostled him and not very hard but his foot caught a piece of equipment and he fell hard, scraped his arm all up. He should have beat my ass but he didn't.

Sorry to hear that.

Tomorrow, we'll be attending the "celebration of life" via Zoom for a family member who died similarly last week.

Aged 50 (i.e. a youngster, like your friend) - he had a recently diagnosed heart condition. He was supposed to go into surgery 3 weeks ago, but he and the doctors agreed to delay it by 4 weeks because of Covid-19 - and this happened 2 weeks into that delay.

That "Covid-delay" killed him!

He and his wife had been out for dinner, he drove them home, stepped into the house and said "I don't feel well". He lay down on the couch, and was unresponsive 5 minutes later. His wife tried CPR, called 911 who responded incredibly quickly and they continued CPR, got him to the hospital ... but no success.

As you said...

Crappity crap crap.
    Regards,

Duncan

Last week, my uncle and patriarch of the extended family died of a heart attack. What actually killed him was complications in the procedure to install stents. If the medical system hadn't been so overwhelmed, particularly in the Los Angeles area where he lived, perhaps there would've been a better outcome.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sorry for your losses, Duncan and TheLooney. I know they've been coming out of left field lately, even when natural causes are to blame.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Really sorry to hear all this news. My condolences.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Last Monday a childhood friend was diagnosed with gallbladder cancer, something you don't know you have until it is almost too late. They wanted to operate but his liver functions were too low so they put in some stints and maybe drains and sent him home. They have rescheduled surgery for Thursday if his counts are up. They will remove the gallbladder and some of his liver. He never smoked and minimal drinking and exercised. He was a year behind me in school but is my age, we will both be 65. He worked at Alban Tractor all his life and amassed a nice pension and put up with an aggravating wife, life just doesn't seem fair.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The neighbour of my dad, who is a year younger than me, was up for a hipoperation, She broke her hip some years ago and something had gone wrong. Now she should be up for surgery and a few days ago she broke her knee, which leaves her even more immobilised. My dad is at 91 better of than his neigbours, who are all younger. His other neighbours are a couple, the husband has COPD and needs oxygen and the wife has had a stroke and still has some problems talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Last Monday a childhood friend was diagnosed with gallbladder cancer, something you don't know you have until it is almost too late. They wanted to operate but his liver functions were too low so they put in some stints and maybe drains and sent him home. They have rescheduled surgery for Thursday if his counts are up. They will remove the gallbladder and some of his liver. He never smoked and minimal drinking and exercised. He was a year behind me in school but is my age, we will both be 65. He worked at Alban Tractor all his life and amassed a nice pension and put up with an aggravating wife, life just doesn't seem fair.
    The worst kinds are the ones for which there are no symptoms, until it's much too late. Ovarian cancer would be another.

Thanks, guys. Some very nice words as we are all a bunch of old farts and everyone around us is going to die, us included. We all get it as we've been through it too much and it seems we're still going through it. Death doesn't go away it just takes a break.

Been a little too much around here but I'm hoping for that trend to go down for a while.

@progmatist So sorry that's messed up. Everything is kinda messed up.

Anyway, I get to put my cat down tomorrow. Her legs are gone so it's time. I knew it was close but that doesn't make it easier.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Thanks, guys. Some very nice words as we are all a bunch of old farts and everyone around us is going to die, us included. We all get it as we've been through it too much and it seems we're still going through it. Death doesn't go away it just takes a break.

Been a little too much around here but I'm hoping for that trend to go down for a while.

@progmatist So sorry that's messed up. Everything is kinda messed up.

Anyway, I get to put my cat down tomorrow. Her legs are gone so it's time. I knew it was close but that doesn't make it easier.
    Loosing a cat is never easy.

In January, my dad had to put his cat to sleep. She was already on her last legs for some time, so we knew it was coming, but it didn't make it easier. The presence of the cat made it neccesary for my dad to leave his bed. After the cat died, he had more trouble leaving his bed, because there was no reason to do so.

My cat and oldest dog were best friends, and same age, 7 years.
    Last year the cat got leukemia and we had to 'put her to sleep'.
    The dog was aware of her loss (we let the cat lie dead 24 hours in a box in the living room) and was sorry for several days.
    The younger dog (6 months) was not quite aware of the situation the same way.

I miss the cat, but we have way more birds in the garden now.