Page 93 of 239 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143193 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 5954

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, all I can say from personal experience is that cannabis saves lives by preventing me from killing people.

So, there's that.
    Hell, it's saving me from killing me!

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    That reminds me of the April fools jokes where people are modifying official Governor’s statements to say that alcohol sales are considered non-essential business. However, Pennsylvania did do that. The withdrawal would cause more deaths than corona
    I heard that about Pennsylvania. I just saw a news report last night that here in Michigan alcohol sales have increased by some really high percentage the last two weeks since lockdown started. Not all of our liquor / beer stores are open, but most of them are and the breweries are all still selling to go growlers / cans / bottles.

That reminds me, Scotch run this weekend!

Fuck, man, can't it end?

In the last calendar year, my Bro in law dies and sis has to put the dog down, I got blood clots and ruined my foot, Neil Peart and Terry Gilliam have died and oh, by the way, it's the bloody apocalypse.

So, my cat has to get ready to up and die. No, she couldn't die after the apocalypse, she has to just suddenly lose all her health. She had been bad in the back but now the front legs are barely working. I really was hoping she would outlive me.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Fuck, man, can't it end?

In the last calendar year, my Bro in law dies and sis has to put the dog down, I got blood clots and ruined my foot, Neil Peart and Terry Gilliam have died and oh, by the way, it's the bloody apocalypse.

So, my cat has to get ready to up and die. No, she couldn't die after the apocalypse, she has to just suddenly lose all her health. She had been bad in the back but now the front legs are barely working. I really was hoping she would outlive me.
    Sorry, man.

Same BS here. When will it end? The same week COVID-19 got dicey here, we had to put down our dog. They told us she had 6-12 months and she lasted two weeks. Then, I got a pinched nerve in my leg last week. I hope that's the end of it for a while, since my oldest daughter works on the hospital.

That's the biggest problem with pets. They don't outlive us.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Getting old sucks! I spoke with the surgeon who does surgery on cateracts. Surgery closed for six weeks, after that, ONE fucking year wait time. This is all covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan but I can't believe that the government can't put a higher priority on this issue. When I drive on the highway I have a harder time seeing the road, especially when ongoing traffice in the other lane has on their headlights on. I can no longer read small print in certain instances (some newspaper articles, for example). Reading PE on my laptop if fine though.

It sounds like such a drag to lose a pet. My dog is 8 years old and like a member of the family. Losing her will be gut wrenching.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Getting old sucks! I spoke with the surgeon who does surgery on cateracts. Surgery closed for six weeks, after that, ONE fucking year wait time. This is all covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan but I can't believe that the government can't put a higher priority on this issue. When I drive on the highway I have a harder time seeing the road, especially when ongoing traffice in the other lane has on their headlights on. I can no longer read small print in certain instances (some newspaper articles, for example). Reading PE on my laptop if fine though.

It sounds like such a drag to lose a pet. My dog is 8 years old and like a member of the family. Losing her will be gut wrenching.
    Do you have the option of paying for cataract surgery ( after the current emergency ) that would have a shorter wait?
    Don't know the system up there, although in many regards it sounds like a decent thing.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Do you have the option of paying for cataract surgery ( after the current emergency ) that would have a shorter wait?
    Don't know the system up there, although in many regards it sounds like a decent thing.
    I have no idea what it costs. If it is under $1K, I would definitely do it. The doctor said 80% of patients no longer require glasses, except for reading.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I have no idea what it costs. If it is under $1K, I would definitely do it. The doctor said 80% of patients no longer require glasses, except for reading.
    My oldest daughter just had one of those eye surgeries and doesn't need glasses anymore.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I had cataract surgery years ago, my vision is great. At the time, my insurance paid for it. Most people opt for the lens for distance and need glasses for reading, as you mentioned. However, there are two other choices. There was a lens available that would improve both distance and near sightedness. However, my insurance would not cover those, and they were expensive. You can also select a lens which improves close up vision but you would need glasses for distance. That is what I chose. I don't mind wearing glasses, have most of my life. But I really wanted good close up vision as I model a lot. I'm a model railroader and hand lay track. Prior to the surgery I would try to place a spike in the middle of a tie, and miss the tie completely!

Oh, about the pets: I saw a lengthy commercial selling George Carlin dvds. He was speaking about pets in one skit. He said "you know when you buy your pet, it's going to end badly" Funny but all too true. I have a dog and if she lives to her average age, I'll be 77 when she goes. Wonder what the odds are which of us goes first?

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    I had cataract surgery years ago, my vision is great. At the time, my insurance paid for it. Most people opt for the lens for distance and need glasses for reading, as you mentioned. However, there are two other choices. There was a lens available that would improve both distance and near sightedness. However, my insurance would not cover those, and they were expensive. You can also select a lens which improves close up vision but you would need glasses for distance. That is what I chose. I don't mind wearing glasses, have most of my life. But I really wanted good close up vision as I model a lot. I'm a model railroader and hand lay track. Prior to the surgery I would try to place a spike in the middle of a tie, and miss the tie completely!

Oh, about the pets: I saw a lengthy commercial selling George Carlin dvds. He was speaking about pets in one skit. He said "you know when you buy your pet, it's going to end badly" Funny but all too true. I have a dog and if she lives to her average age, I'll be 77 when she goes. Wonder what the odds are which of us goes first?
    Try a parrot or a turtle.

For profit insurance companies are going to pay as little as possible. Just like when I first bought my townhouse, the compressor in the air conditioner broke. Instead of replacing the whole thing, the home warranty company replaced just the compressor in the ratty old unit. An entirely new unit would've only cost a couple hundred more.

I got a kick out of Steven Wright's routine about naming his dog Stay. The he could say, "Come here, Stay.....Come here, Stay."
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I didn't know there was surgery for short or long or both distances. I really wish I knew how much this costs. I will have to consider one the the different options though.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Try a parrot or a turtle.
    We're on our third parrot since 1995

It's just a beginning but 5 minutes on the treadmill today.

Banned
    Sweet, keep it up

Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Mostly they get rather old.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    We're on our third parrot since 1995
    You sure they were dead and not just resting?
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    You sure they were dead and not just resting?
    No, they have gone to meet their maker.
    They are ex-parrots

They've joined the choir invisible.
    <sig out of order>

No, they have gone to meet their maker.
    They are ex-parrots
    They're bleeding demised!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Mostly they get rather old.
    That's the hope.

I'm pretty much nailing a mile and a half on the treadmill every time now. At some point in May I'll start creeping towards two miles. Baby steps.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm pretty much nailing a mile and a half on the treadmill every time now. At some point in May I'll start creeping towards two miles. Baby steps.
    That's pretty impressive. I couldn't agree more with baby steps. I'm at the very minimal level now but hope to increase.