Page 8 of 238 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I remember as a kid, visiting relatives all the time. I always knew their names and where they fit into our family tree. I learned the history of both sides of our family. Now, my kids would have a tough time coming up with their grandmothers unmarried last name. They have met few of their extended relatives. I've tried to interest them but gave up. They live in the moment and have little care for what happened in the past, outside of the very basic general story.

How many generations past your family's immigration into the US does it become a non-issue? I count 3.
    What's the issue? I have a niece and nephew whose parents are immigrants. They barely speak their parent's native language (although they can understand it when it's spoken to them), otherwise they are just as "American" as I am.

My mother is into genealogy and is always excited to tell me that we had some king as an ancestor. I'm thinking that king has thousands of descendants or more. Where's the money? lol...
    <sig out of order>

I don't like a lot of clutter but I'd never toss all the old pictures of my family that are all over the house. I've never been one to keep birthday cards, Christmas cards, etc. but once I became a father I started keeping all the cards my kid has ever given me. Some are scattered haphazardly all over the place but one day I'll put them all in order. I doubt my daughter even knows or cares now (she's a grown women) but I'm sure one day she will treasure all the cards and pictures, thanks to my own mother who was always taking pictures of her one and only grandchild.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    A hobby of mine is genealogy...
    I've been plotting my family tree for many years. I've been pretty casual about actual keepsakes or artifacts, and have just been collecting details, using "Family Tree Maker".

I've only been able to get back to around 1740 so far, and to go further back I'd have to either hire a UK-based research company, or spend about 3 weeks in Scotland. (Which I would do in a heartbeat but for the $$$ consideration )
    Regards,

Duncan

Hey - you wanna get a group of grumpy old men talking about their (our ) health issues?

Just mention the word "prostate" .

I'm not (yet) on any meds, and my numbers look good, but:

- I have to hit the bathroom twice every night, which can ruin your sleeping pattern...

- You want to participate in any endurance sports? make sure there are plenty of port-a-potties (or McDonalds) along the way.

- You want to do a long trip without stopping? Fugeddaboutit!

- You want to do an extra long bike ride? You check out every tree along the way to see if you can sneak behind it without being seen by traffic coming from both directions. And you in winter, you learn to curse the fact that the leaves have fallen off every damned bush, so there's nothing to hide behind.

- You want to go camping in a cold climate? An empty Gatorade bottle soon becomes your best friend.

Regards,

Duncan

^ Yup. I have a Gatorade bottle in the trunk for those looooooong car rides.

2 times a night is a good night.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Hey - you wanna get a group of grumpy old men talking about their (our ) health issues?

Just mention the word "prostate" .

I'm not (yet) on any meds, and my numbers look good, but:

- I have to hit the bathroom twice every night, which can ruin your sleeping pattern...

- You want to participate in any endurance sports? make sure there are plenty of port-a-potties (or McDonalds) along the way.

- You want to do a long trip without stopping? Fugeddaboutit!

- You want to do an extra long bike ride? You check out every tree along the way to see if you can sneak behind it without being seen by traffic coming from both directions. And you in winter, you learn to curse the fact that the leaves have fallen off every damned bush, so there's nothing to hide behind.

- You want to go camping in a cold climate? An empty Gatorade bottle soon becomes your best friend.

In the interests of what could only be called horrific TMI, I won't get specific about just how much I relate to this post, my friend.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I was starting to sweat how much I take a leak. Glad to see I'm well within the norm for old men on PE.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

10 years ago I had this problem.
    My wife thought I should eat mineral supplies and she 'prescribed' zinc pills which she had read about in some popular magazine. Then I felt that my prostate grew, and the piss problem etc. arrived, I went to the doctor, I was scanned and they didn't see any significant enlargement. Everything very weird, untill I read a scientific article (I worked at the university at the time and had access) where the symptoms was described as a result of increased zinc uptake. I dropped the pills and voila, problem gone.
    Just found a public article with an angle on this here: http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/95/13/1004.full + http://www.livestrong.com/article/48...rged-prostate/ and another which kind of claims the opposite: http://www.lifeextension.com/magazin...th/page-01?p=1 or this http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3114577/
    My advice: keep away from zinc.

To day I'm 59, and sometimes I can feel that I have a prostate, not annoying, but its there. The 'cure' is sex. Sex flushes the prostate to some extent and is thus healthy for it. So... now its your partners responsabilty

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The 'cure' is sex. Sex flushes the prostate to some extent and is thus healthy for it. So... now its your partners responsabilty
    Woo hoo! This cure is medically prescribed!

Regards,

Duncan

So... now its your partners responsabilty
    Though there's nothing wrong with taking matters into your own hands.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ Ooouuuuch...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Though there's nothing wrong with taking matters into your own hands.
    So, Jocelyn Elders was right.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    So, Jocelyn Elders was right.
    Bad-a-boom!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I usually look at the cover of Whipped Cream And Other Delights when I take matters into my own hands..... .

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I've been plotting my family tree for many years. I've been pretty casual about actual keepsakes or artifacts, and have just been collecting details, using "Family Tree Maker".

I've only been able to get back to around 1740 so far, and to go further back I'd have to either hire a UK-based research company, or spend about 3 weeks in Scotland. (Which I would do in a heartbeat but for the $$$ consideration )
    1740 - thats not even 6 o'clock! (a wee bit of genuine Scottish humour right there for ye)

I can't image saying to my wife "Sex is necessary for my good health. You don't want me to have prostate problems, do you?"

Her response would be something along the lines of "I can't wash dishes or clothes anymore. It's giving me hand cancer." Of course, there would be some juicy four letter words interjected somewhere in between.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

^^^ You may then ask your wife what she would suggest

I forgot another means against prostate problems: Pumpkin seeds.

http://www.prevention.com/food/food-...-pumpkin-seeds

I eat müesli every morning and add a spoon of pumpkin seeds to it. It taste good, and perhaps the hype is true.

Turned 55 recently and for the first time in my life, I feel old. Work "repurposed" my cube, so now I am fulltime at home. My 1.5 hour commute each way is literally 1 step. While I truly enjoy getting the 3 hours a day of my life back and the hundreds back for not taking the train and subway, it is really not a good thing. A couple of days a week is great, fulltime at home is a bit much. I loose touch with people and it is making me lazy. The fridge keeps calling my name during the day and she is a wily temptress. I'm mad for putting on 15 more pounds this year. The added weight is not particularly popular with my knees and feet either.

Since I have downsized my living space, I have all of these things that I need to get rid of. Realized I am a bit of a hoarder. After my parents passed several years ago, I kept many things from the family house. The digital camera is great for taking pix of the cards, newspaper clippings, furniture etc and stuff like my old Hot Wheels! Can't believe I still had them. Sent them to a young family member and felt much better. Slowly making the other stuff disappear too.

The bike and basketball is and always has been my salvation although the summer heat, which I always loved, but it kicked the crap out of me this year. Hoops is for a later day but the bike is calling my name. Fall is here and I am ready to go.

My musical tastes are changing too. Listen to more classical then prog these days but it makes going back all that much sweeter. But with the recent Bill Bruford thread lately I put Earthworks first album on for the first time in years and I could not get past the electronic drums and the keyboards which I think are triggered by the drums. I had to stop it. But then again can't take Camels A Nod and a Wink off of the player, where I have never before paid much attention to it.

All in all I am still in good health, sometimes in spite of myself. To those proggers like Duncan (51 miles before the wife got up! Damn!!) you're an inspiration. To the guys struggling a bit, hang in there and make changes if they need to be made. Too many people that we have spend a large amount of time, and in some cases a large amount of $$ listening to, have passed lately and prog ears members do not need to add to the list.
    Last edited by Tangram; 09-27-2016 at 02:01 PM.

I've been to a funeral of a school friend today, damned if that doesn't make you want to kickstart the rest of your days.

What a sad and moving tribute it was, only 55 years old, ravaged by the insidious "c", a consultant orthopaedic surgeon, family man and all round good egg.

Nobody deserves an early exit, but he certainly deserved it less than most. I'll raise a glass tonight and push myself further tomorrow, there's no time left to be coasting through life anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sister asked me recently if i've put any thought into the disposition of my remains after i've kicked the (proverbial) bucket.

I told her i want to be cremated.Seems easier and cheaper than finding a plot of ground to plant me in and buying a casket to house my mortal remains.I suggested that she and my brother equally share my ashes;build a shrine to me in their respective living rooms.Maybe sacrifice a goat to me every year on the anniversary of my birthday.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I've been to a funeral of a school friend today, damned if that doesn't make you want to kickstart the rest of your days.

What a sad and moving tribute it was, only 55 years old, ravaged by the insidious "c", a consultant orthopaedic surgeon, family man and all round good egg.

Nobody deserves an early exit, but he certainly deserved it less than most. I'll raise a glass tonight and push myself further tomorrow, there's no time left to be coasting through life anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I feel for you.
    Sorry to hear this.

The only solution is to life your life fully and tell those that you love what they mean to you.

The only solution is to life your life fully and tell those that you love what they mean to you
    Amen to that. I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Lots of hindrances here to living fully and I need to think more about getting around those.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Amen to that. I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Lots of hindrances here to living fully and I need to think more about getting around those.
    Great observations.
    Getting around the blockades is the goal. Satisfaction waits behind them.

So sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds, though, like he enjoyed what time he had.

It is a good lesson for all of us though. Life is meant to be lived, not just wandered through. Do something extraordinary every day, even if it is opening a door for an older person, enjoying nature on a walk or bike ride, learning something new, calling an old friend and catching up, etc. Don't fall into the bubble of complacency, that's a sure road to old age.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Since I'm (amazingly, considering my past) long past the "Live fast, die young & leave a beautiful corpse" phase of my life, I'm instead living the "Sha la la la la, let's live for today" phase.