Page 72 of 238 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 5949

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Do these help better than Tamsulosin?

Askin for a friend
    I take it as a supplement to my vegan diet and the walnuts (and cooked tomatoes) for prostate health in general not for any existing condition. Never heard of Tamsulosin until your post.
    I suppose I should clarify - I turned vegan when my late sister was diagnosed with colon cancer, and I started to regularly eat walnuts and up my tomato sauce consumption when my late father developed prostate cancer. All the female side of my family suffer(ed) from glaucoma so that's where the luteine etc comes in. So all these dietary modifications are due to family history.
    Last edited by jake; 07-21-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I take it as a supplement to my vegan diet not for any existing condition. Never heard of Tamsulosin until your post.
    Tmasulosin is the most commonly prescribed medication for prostate problems.

I just started on it a month ago - and it's been a freakin' life saver!
    Regards,

Duncan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I take it as a supplement to my vegan diet and the walnuts (and cooked tomatoes) for prostate health in general not for any existing condition. Never heard of Tamsulosin until your post.
    I suppose I should clarify - I turned vegan when my late sister was diagnosed with colon cancer, and I started to regularly eat walnuts and up my tomato sauce consumption when my late father developed prostate cancer. All the female side of my family suffer(ed) from glaucoma so that's where the luteine etc comes in. So all these dietary modifications are due to family history.
    Only one thing has shown a direct correlation with reducing colon cancer. Vitamin D3 and since the importance of it for over all health and immune system, over 90% of those tested for serum levels, have been found deficient. MDR was adjusted upward, but not to therapeutic levels. One example doesn’t make a rule, but I knew some one without a family history of colon cancer, became vegetarian, and used SPF 15 while avoiding sun in Seattle. She died of colon cancer at age 47. Was a runner. I showed her the research about D3 after she was diagnosed, and she was excited and she had a biochem degree. Of course there will all ways be contrarian info in the internet which means one needs to be careful, but D3 obtained from quality sources has a huge potential for benefit, and very low risk.

PS: She used SPF 15 to reduce the likelihood of wrinkles. However, it is well known that UVB (filtered by a high SPF) is not the major cause of wrinkles and skin cancer, UVA is and penetrates the skin. UVA radiation is at a constant level during the year and daytime and doesn’t stimulate D3 production in the skin, but the major cause of adult skin cancer and wrinkles. Tanning results from UVA exposure and a result from damage to the skin.
    Last edited by Firth; 07-22-2019 at 06:59 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As I mentioned in my other post, I am not a doctor, so I guess all I can relate is my own personal experience. One can go on the internet and find "data" that supports both sides of the Statin argument as to whether they are effective or not, and the impact of side effects. Where the actual truth lies, who knows. I guess in the end, in my case, I have to trust that my doctor knows what he is talking about when he prescribed them for me. There is no doubt that they have had a dramatic impact on my personal cholesterol level.

I don’t trust doctors or the internet. I do read scientific articles and look for consensus among medical institutions. Doctors don’t impress me anymore and insurance plans which pay for physicals which don’t include Vitamin D3 testing are effectively corrupt. As far as statins are concerned or cholesterol levels, medical consensus was reached in 2013 after studies shown the ineffectiveness of statins reducing CVD. This consensus was reflected amongst medical institutions including some in Maryland which has some top medical institutions in the US. However, instead of admitting the downside of statins, they established a new criteria, age over 60, which made the cholesterol measurements a don’t care. Even though my cholesterol wasn’t bad, high HDL and below threshold LDL, doctor wanted to recommend statin. This was curious and I went to medical institution website to research, and then uncovered the formula used to make this assessment and it resulted in the exact probability given to me by doc. Changed doctor and new doctor recommended lifestyle change and for the first time showed me as prediabetic. Started hiking and after one year, LDL to HDL improved significantly and A1C was good. There is too much money motivation in the medical business and this has been exacerbated by Obamacare’s open check book.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I have not seen that. Rock paper scissors?
    Or as in The Big Bang Theory, rock paper scissors lizard Spock, with Spock always winning.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Tmasulosin is the most commonly prescribed medication for prostate problems.

I just started on it a month ago - and it's been a freakin' life saver!
    A more simple, medication free method of maintaining prostate health is frequent snake shaking. When we were young, we were told it was somehow "gay" or "evil," but now we know everyone does it, whether or not they admit it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A more simple, medication free method of maintaining prostate health is frequent snake shaking. When we were young, we were told it was somehow "gay" or "evil," but now we know everyone does it, whether or not they admit it.
    Yes, but I read that doing it in your youth was most important. I need to research this to see if there is still consensus.

According to Harvard University ... 21 times a month!

https://www.survivornet.com/articles...ostate-cancer/

But if prostate cancer isn't the problem - just old fashioned BPH - then it comes down to meds, or a procedure
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Like this?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Like this?

Like this?

I prefer those old bald guys keep their hands off my snake.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Yes, but I read that doing it in your youth was most important. I need to research this to see if there is still consensus.
    But for any middle aged man not yet experiencing symptoms like difficulty urinating, or weak stream when they do, it's never too late to start. Or even when symptoms are mild, before they progress.
    Last edited by progmatist; 07-25-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Like this?

Actually, more like this...it won't bite you back:

Elysium's trial of NR/pterostilbine for patients with acute kidney injury after cardio surgery went well so the FDA has accepted their application to sell the 4 times regular dose they recommend for everyone else as a drug. David "NMN" Sinclair said a few days ago that Elysiums trial on patients with Parkinson's also went well and the results were published but apparently not yet.

“While upward of 30% of surgical cardiac patients are estimated to experience an incidence of AKI, it is a complication that generally affects 3% of all hospitalized patients,” Leonard Guarente, PhD, chief scientist at Elysium Health and director of the Glenn Center for Biology of Aging Research at MIT, said in the release. “Preclinically, it’s been demonstrated that the regulation of NAD+ biosynthesis plays a pivotal role in renal recovery from injury. The sirtuin, SIRT1, is highly protective against kidney damage due to oxidative injury, and raising the activity of this sirtuin with NAD+ precursors is also protective and restorative of kidney function.”

It is generally aknowledged that Pumpkin seeds is good for your prostate.
    I eat a big spoon every morning with my yogurt & Müesli.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...seeds#section4

4. Improve Prostate and Bladder Health

Pumpkin seeds may help relieve symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), a condition in which the prostate gland enlarges, causing problems with urination.

Several studies in humans found that eating these seeds reduced symptoms associated with BPH (13).

In a one-year study in over 1,400 men with BPH, pumpkin seed consumption reduced symptoms and improved quality of life (14Trusted Source).

Further research suggests that taking pumpkin seeds or their products as supplements can help treat symptoms of an overactive bladder.

One study in 45 men and women with overactive bladders found that 10 grams of pumpkin seed extract daily improved urinary function (15Trusted Source)

^^^^^^

So......you're suggesting pumpkin seeds may help a man's prostate issues.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

As with most miracle health claims, this one's not as straightforward as claimed.
    RESULTS:After 12 months, the response rate (intention-to-treat/last-observation-carried-forward approach) did not differ between pumpkin seed extract and placebo.
    Source

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    ^^^^^^

So......you're suggesting pumpkin seeds may help a man's prostate issues.

If you perform oral sex and swallow twice a week it decreases your chance of getting breast cancer. If you eat your boogers you will have a stronger immune system.

BON APPETIT
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I totally forgot about the side effects of hairy palms and going blind. Proceed with caution.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    As with most miracle health claims, this one's not as straightforward as claimed.Source
    Nope - nothing is. Even the drugs your doctor prescribes, but they cost more.
    Your link says:
    "Overall, in men with BPH, 12 months of treatment with pumpkin seed led to a clinically relevant reduction in IPSS compared with placebo."

Since pumpkin seeds are really cheap and taste good, why not give it a try.

Pumpkin seeds (supposedly) work because they contain beta sitosterol, which you can get in concentrated form at a pretty low price. My 91-year-old Dad has been on beta sitosterol for 20+ years, and swears it works. Judging by his hourly trips to the rest room ... I suspect they it help a bit, but it isn't a panacea.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Since pumpkin seeds are really cheap and taste good, why not give it a try.
    Because ... time!

My problem was getting very severe, and I would not be able to tolerate it for another year while hoping that a year's worth of pumpkin seeds (or beta sitosterol tabs) would work ... or not. So I started taking Tamsulosin (aka Flomax).

Instant improvement. I don't have the fire-hose performance of a 21-year-old but the urgency has gone, I now get up only once a night, and visits to the john no longer bring tears to the eyes while pissing a thousand needles.
    Regards,

Duncan

A few years ago my urologist suggested Flomax for my nighttime trips to the can.After a week or two on Flomax i noticed a rather disconcerting side effect.No ejaculate ( dry well syndrome).

I'm 65 and i damn well know that things ain't gonna happen like they did when i was a young man, but that particular side effect was a bridge too far.

Goodbye Flomax.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Right in the middle of a PSA scare

My score has risen steadily the past 3 yeas from just below 2 to just below 5

At 3 and change, my urologist recommended a biopsy that came back clean

More recently he recommended an MRI after the slow rise we are watching, also showed clean

He was VERY quick to suggest another "precautionary" biopsy which isn't going happen, I thought the after effects were a LOT worse than I expected even though I researched what might happen, (and for how long)

Switched from a daily bike ride to walking supposedly bike riding can lead to false positives

Tried to take the summer off from worrying about it but my six month physical is in November, I'll see where the levels are then