Page 70 of 238 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 5939

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Banned
    ^^^

Good answer - there is defnitely something profoundly wrong with Shapiro's wiring, politics aside...

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    On his radio show, right-wing speed-yakker Ben Shapiro advertises some outfit as an alternative to the "liberal" AARP. Just how far to the right does one have to be to believe that AARP is some radical, left-wing cabal?! Further evidence that it just ain't my world anymore.
    At the risk of violating this forum's no politics rule, Ronald Reagan could never win a republican primary today. He'd be too much of a lefty.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Let's move off the politics ... we don't want a moderator seeing these posts!

Regards,

Duncan

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    As always, the no-politics violation once again comes from a particular side.

This might be a side effect of the statin i take for cholesterol, but dang these foot and leg cramps are horrible. You're sound asleep, in your dream you get a toe cramp. You're dealing with the cramp in the dream, then after an eternity you wake up realizing it's no longer just a dream. Now I'm walking around trying like hell to alleviate this effing cramp. Screw me. Yes, I drink plenty of water.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I sometimes get leg and foot cramps, but I don't take statins.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Maybe it's just old age.......😠

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    This might be a side effect of the statin i take for cholesterol, but dang these foot and leg cramps are horrible. You're sound asleep, in your dream you get a toe cramp. You're dealing with the cramp in the dream, then after an eternity you wake up realizing it's no longer just a dream. Now I'm walking around trying like hell to alleviate this effing cramp. Screw me. Yes, I drink plenty of water.
    I have been taking Lipitor for years (and I work for the company who makes it). It has been a bit of a miracle drug for me and has lowered my hereditary high cholesterol significantly. I have also had a problem with foot cramps in the middle of the night, although I have no clue if it has anything to do with being on a statin or not.

No statins for me ( no prescription drugs and very few OTC )and I get leg/ankle/foot cramps several nights a week.
    I walk a fair amount every day.
    I doubt that it is diet for me. I eat a pretty healthy bunch of food.
    I think it's a long term use/old guy problem.
    Shit just wears out.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I had back cramps with Lipitor, so I switched to the generic of Crestor (rosuvastatin) and that all went away. No more side effects for me, but YMMV.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    No statins for me ( no prescription drugs and very few OTC )and I get leg/ankle/foot cramps several nights a week.
    I walk a fair amount every day.
    I doubt that it is diet for me. I eat a pretty healthy bunch of food.
    I think it's a long term use/old guy problem.
    Shit just wears out.

Statins are BS. They cause muscles to deteriorate leading eventually to the heart giving out. Walk 5 miles a day, get your HDL/LDL over 0.25. Eat eggs for their high sulfur content. Sulfur combines with cholesterol to form cholesterol sulfate which is great for it doesn’t stimulate production of plaque and is a great energy source for the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Another possibility is you're in the early stages of Parkinson's Disease. It's characterized by muscle stiffness and cramping, in addition to uncontrollable tremors. With early intervention, it's easier to treat than if allowed to progress.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Another possibility is you're in the early stages of Parkinson's Disease. It's characterized by muscle stiffness and cramping, in addition to uncontrollable tremors. With early intervention, it's easier to treat than if allowed to progress.
    Not likely, there is a known and high probability that statins caused the cramping.

Banned
    I used to use an elliptical and I got night time cramps. I took Magnesium Ultra from Vitacost and they went away for the most part, but still got them sometimes. I stopped elliptical except in cold weather and started walking/hiking ~5 miles a day which I have been doing for a year and half. Dropped 20 pounds and got my A1C from prediabetic to normal. Never have cramps now.

I have started my post-surgery walking routine and it's a work in progress. I was pounding out a mile twenty minutes but today it took more like forty. But it'll be back. I know I feel SO much better when I've walked.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I have started my post-surgery walking routine and it's a work in progress. I was pounding out a mile twenty minutes but today it took more like forty. But it'll be back. I know I feel SO much better when I've walked.
    Super

My recipe for success may not be for everyone:

Get fit, then get fitter, then get ultra-fit.

Very intense cycling 2 to 3 times a week (minimum 20 miles, with heart rate at a sustained 155+), eliptical once a week for an hour on resistance of 15 with 30-second intervals at 20, every 10 minutes, every winter, strength training (core) in the gym and intense hikes (15 to 30 miles.).

I ought to look like Charles Atlas (I definitely don't! ) but I find that if I let my training slip, I get cramps and old-man complaints. But if I keep the training at a high level, I'm in better shape than most 30-year-olds, and have none of the old-man issues.

Well - except for that prost-... er - never mind ) LOL
    Regards,

Duncan

For me the "core strength - abdominal fiber " thing is most important to keep my back from spoiling things.
    The complementary effects are welcome too.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Statins are BS. They cause muscles to deteriorate leading eventually to the heart giving out. Walk 5 miles a day, get your HDL/LDL over 0.25. Eat eggs for their high sulfur content. Sulfur combines with cholesterol to form cholesterol sulfate which is great for it doesn’t stimulate production of plaque and is a great energy source for the heart.
    I am not a doctor but will share my experience. I have had high cholesterol ever since my 20’s. I have never been overweight, in fact I only weigh about 5 pounds more now than I did when I was 25. I work out on a regular basis and have done so my whole life. My diet has not always been the greatest, but I still balance it out well. I got to a point in my late 30’s / early 40’s (I don’t remember exactly) when my cholesterol was creeping up over the 300 range. Diet may have somewhat been a contributing factor, but heredity was the main culprit. My doctor started me on Lipitor and within a very short period my cholesterol dropped down to around 175. I eventually dropped down to a lower dose and have maintained a decent level ever since (I am now 57). My doctor basically said I could be a poster child for how well statins worked. I can’t really comment on side effects. There may be some, but I can’t really say that I have noticed anything specific. As I said, I am not a doctor, so can just relay my personal experience. I still take a low dose of Lipitor once a day.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    My recipe for success may not be for everyone:

Get fit, then get fitter, then get ultra-fit.

Very intense cycling 2 to 3 times a week (minimum 20 miles, with heart rate at a sustained 155+), eliptical once a week for an hour on resistance of 15 with 30-second intervals at 20, every 10 minutes, every winter, strength training (core) in the gym and intense hikes (15 to 30 miles.).

I ought to look like Charles Atlas (I definitely don't! ) but I find that if I let my training slip, I get cramps and old-man complaints. But if I keep the training at a high level, I'm in better shape than most 30-year-olds, and have none of the old-man issues.

Well - except for that prost-... er - never mind ) LOL
    Duncan, get fit, get fitter, then get ultra fit is a far away goal for me. For whatever reason, you've been able to cross these fitness barriers but it's not that easy. I worked extremely hard to loss 50 pounds about a year and a half ago. I was running for 20 minutes 3 time a week when I was carrying the extra weight but I simply fell out of the habit and it took me a long time start to start the slow path of getting physically fit again. No idea why I dropped off - you'd think it was a lot easier to run when you loss so much weight. Over the past month, my wife has been kind enough to join me walking 1 minute and then running 1 minute for 30 minutes in total. I'm trying to hit my treadmill on my own too. You have to start somewhere and that's actually how new marathon runners train (I've run 2, 40 kilometer marathons but a long time ago)!

As I mentioned I've been trying to run on my own too but it's a major challenge. The main obstacle, work stress. I manage a team of 6-8 policy analysts and the pace of work is gruelling. I have to demonstrate leadership skills, finance and human resource skills (it's a rigorous competitive process to compete in a job where I work - taking several months) and I also have to provide strategic direction on a wide range of very complex social policy files. I digress, let just say I'm totally exhausted when I get home each night and also use the weekends to recuperate but still enjoy myself and time with my new wife and friends and family.

I've had to be hyper vigilant on what I eat. I had a long time approach of eating very lightly during weekdays and then splurging on weekend. That work fine for 1 year but in the last 6 months I've been slipping slightly. It's a life long challenge to maintain my weight. Losing it is the easy part, keep it off is the challenge. In short, I've gained 8 pounds back in the last 6 months. I'm hoping to counter that by running 3 times a week but it's taking all my energy just to get back to where I was when I was heavier.

It's just not that easy for me.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I've been using an Ab Wheel at home. Great for tightening my core and chest. I try as much to take walks. As I've gotten older I find weightlifting is hurting more than helping. Haven't renewed gym membership. Still doing ketogenic but mostly chicken, fish, red meat once a week, plenty greens and aromatics.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Not likely, there is a known and high probability that statins caused the cramping.
    Typically localized in the stomach/abdominal region. In other parts of the body, statins cause muscle weakness, the polar opposite of stiffness or cramping.
    Last edited by progmatist; 07-16-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Duncan, get fit, get fitter, then get ultra fit is a far away goal for me. For whatever reason, you've been able to cross these fitness barriers but it's not that easy. I worked extremely hard to loss 50 pounds about a year and a half ago. I was running for 20 minutes 3 time a week when I was carrying the extra weight but I simply fell out of the habit and it took me a long time start to start the slow path of getting physically fit again. No idea why I dropped off - you'd think it was a lot easier to run when you loss so much weight. Over the past month, my wife has been kind enough to join me walking 1 minute and then running 1 minute for 30 minutes in total. I'm trying to hit my treadmill on my own too. You have to start somewhere and that's actually how new marathon runners train (I've run 2, 40 kilometer marathons but a long time ago)!

As I mentioned I've been trying to run on my own too but it's a major challenge. The main obstacle, work stress. I manage a team of 6-8 policy analysts and the pace of work is gruelling. I have to demonstrate leadership skills, finance and human resource skills (it's a rigorous competitive process to compete in a job where I work - taking several months) and I also have to provide strategic direction on a wide range of very complex social policy files. I digress, let just say I'm totally exhausted when I get home each night and also use the weekends to recuperate but still enjoy myself and time with my new wife and friends and family.

I've had to be hyper vigilant on what I eat. I had a long time approach of eating very lightly during weekdays and then splurging on weekend. That work fine for 1 year but in the last 6 months I've been slipping slightly. It's a life long challenge to maintain my weight. Losing it is the easy part, keep it off is the challenge. In short, I've gained 8 pounds back in the last 6 months. I'm hoping to counter that by running 3 times a week but it's taking all my energy just to get back to where I was when I was heavier.

It's just not that easy for me.
    Greg,

World-renowned cyclist Greg Lemond is known for saying "It never gets easier - you just get faster". I hate him for saying that, because ... it's so damned true. I suffer in my training sessions just as much as I did the day I started.

Translated into the context of this conversation, the Lemond quote means that it isn't easy for anyone. But the more you work out, the more you become used to it, and before you realize it, the better you are at whatever you're striving toward. BUT - don't ever expect it to be "easy" - for anyone.

Your very admirable weight loss, and your gradual return to fitness, bears this out: It isn't easy for you (or for any of us ) - but look at how far you've already come! You're probably ahead of 65% of the people in North America, and if you get back to it, you'll soon be ahead of 70% of them. (I made that stat up, but you know what I mean.)

So I should clarify that I didn't mean "Get fit" in absolute terms. I meant it in relative terms - i.e. "get fit compared to whatever your previous state was - and then constantly try to improve on that".

Seems to me you're doing that. But per Lemond - don't expect it to ever become "easy".
    Regards,

Duncan

Great to read all the good input from my proggy age-peers and elders here. At 58, I've found that the only exercises that still agree with my body and allow me to keep fit to my own standards are cycling and yoga. What has changed is that, 10 to 20 years ago I exercised to be able to eat and drink whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Now, I am more focused on maintaining a level of health and avoidance of any except the most necessary meds and medical treatments. To that end I've moderated my consumption to increase my ability to achieve my goal of being in similar shape (or slightly better) each birthday compared to the last, measured by weight, BMI, and the way my clothes fit me As Duncan intimates above, though, everybody's goals and physiology are different, and there are no magic bullets. Control the controllables. Pursue realistic goals and concentrate on the exercises and dietary choices that make you feel the best on a day-to-day basis and you give yourself the best chance in the long run.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Greg,

World-renowned cyclist Greg Lemond is known for saying "It never gets easier - you just get faster". I hate him for saying that, because ... it's so damned true. I suffer in my training sessions just as much as I did the day I started.

Translated into the context of this conversation, the Lemond quote means that it isn't easy for anyone. But the more you work out, the more you become used to it, and before you realize it, the better you are at whatever you're striving toward. BUT - don't ever expect it to be "easy" - for anyone.

Your very admirable weight loss, and your gradual return to fitness, bears this out: It isn't easy for you (or for any of us ) - but look at how far you've already come! You're probably ahead of 65% of the people in North America, and if you get back to it, you'll soon be ahead of 70% of them. (I made that stat up, but you know what I mean.)

So I should clarify that I didn't mean "Get fit" in absolute terms. I meant it in relative terms - i.e. "get fit compared to whatever your previous state was - and then constantly try to improve on that".

Seems to me you're doing that. But per Lemond - don't expect it to ever become "easy".
    Ah...I see where you're coming from Duncan. Thanks for the positive feedback!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)